PDA

View Full Version : novel solution to my choking problem

mtiberio
04-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Mechanic just called me.

After I did the WOT diagnostics and they showed nothing.
After I took apart the injectors and saw no oil/water emulsion
After I took it to the mechanic and he did the same.

He opened up the airbox and a critter had been stashing food in there. A nut had lodged into the bellmouth of the intake.

Saints be praised :)

Ciudale
04-15-2008, 02:22 PM
So you have a squirrel in the engine...
Never heard that one !
Cheers !

muchacho
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Can you show a picture of the housing's bellmouth? Maybe things other than nuts can also get lodged there.

mtiberio
04-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Can you show a picture of the housing's bellmouth? Maybe things other than nuts can also get lodged there.

Mechanic says he had to remove 20 philips head screws to get to the blockage, and he is 60 miles away, and I'm not picking the bike up due to scheduling issues for another 1.5 weeks. So unfortunately, I cannot take any pix...

I think he said it was perfectly sized to lodge into what I believe is item #2 in the following diagram:

http://tinyurl.com/5o4jrh

http://www.apriliayorkshire.co.uk/pictures/76855259.gif

Ciudale
04-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Ouch, thats pretty close from the crankcase ! What the hell an animal was doing here ?!

extrashot
04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Ouch, thats pretty close from the crankcase ! What the hell an animal was doing here ?!

I'm guessing it was part #17 (?)... more likely that a mouse or something got up into the undercarriage & entered the open end of the air tube (#23) up at the front of the bike... there's no way it could have gotten in past the air filter...

Ciudale
04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
there's no way it could have gotten in past the air filter...

Thats the point ! Or may be it has just eaten the airfilter...

rymonroe
04-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Definitely post some pics when you get it back.

canyondancer
04-15-2008, 10:02 PM
God on ya dude for posting. I would have been too embarrassed to admit critters took up residence in my airbox.

mtiberio
04-16-2008, 06:28 AM
God on ya dude for posting. I would have been too embarrassed to admit critters took up residence in my airbox.

It's not like the bike had been sitting idle all winter, I rode it at least twice a week, sometimes daily all winter. I'm just embarrassed because it is something I could have fixed, but I "ASSUMED" it was a problem with the EFI...