PDA

View Full Version : Low battery starting tricks

Ciudale
04-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Hi people,
I just discovered a few things which could help starting the bike when the battery is tired.
Mine begins to fail since a few days, even if its more than 12.8V after one day sitting (I have already posted concerning that over-voltage problem). So today I tried starting the bike just like that, without giving a quick charge before. As I thought, the started would barely turn, or not... So I took my multimeter to see what was going on at the battery during the start attempts. I just saw that the fact of pushing the brake lever and activating the rear lights was almost taking a volt, for nothing !
So I tried pushing the lever and starter at the same time to avoid loosing battery power before cranking and... it started in two attempts ! This just gave enough punch to build up pressure and launch the engine. I also noticed that waiting before the attempts is not bullshit : it really helps the battery recovering power. For example, after an attempt it will slowly go from 11.2V to 11.5V, then recovers 12V a minute later. If you wait more this will surely go 12.5V.

So a few tricks if you are alone along the road with an "I don't want to start" bike :
- stay calm
- Push the brake lever and starter together to allow full power discharge
- Wait 20 seconds between two attemps
- if it doesn't work after 5 mn trying, you can shout

da ude
04-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi people,
I just discovered a few things which could help starting the bike when the battery is tired. ...
This info should be stickied or moved to the repository of knowledge. Good job Cuidale!

da ude
04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
Maybe known issues sticky?

Vikter
04-12-2008, 07:14 PM
This is a good sticky topic.

jusdan
04-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Well spotted.