PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Else with this Problem

Italibikefreak
12-03-2003, 03:16 AM
I just rode home after work and the bike died on me like 3 times coming to a stop at the stop light. And it died on me again when I pulled into the driveway. All I was doing was blimping the throttle does anybody know what the deal is. Will a remap and new exhaust system solve this problem?:(

mille-ryan
12-03-2003, 03:59 AM
Ha ha ha, its not just me. Im just playing man, yes I have had the same crap happen to mine, seems like the idle is to low.Mine has stopped doin it now after a few miles.Havent had a map done either so dont know if itll help, sure as hell had better.

Italibikefreak
12-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Can you adjust the idle? or is it electronically controlled? Hey Ryan are you an A/C mech.?

ken zeller
12-03-2003, 12:32 PM
though the idle is maintained by the computer (using air bleeds and timing advance), we have found that the throttle bodies definitely need to be synchronized to idle smoothly.

clarkie49
12-03-2003, 12:41 PM
get rid of the one-way check valve from the tank to the charcoal canister.

on other thought rip out the entire evap system

Italibikefreak
12-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49

Can I just rip out the can and plug all the lines or is some special procedure to it?

clarkie49
12-03-2003, 02:47 PM
rip away :D

mille-ryan
12-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Ya Im an aircraft mechanic, its a pretty good job most the time.

clarkie49
12-03-2003, 04:11 PM
:D i use be one of you guys with air new zealand:D

problem was they wouldnt let me race one:D

mille-ryan
12-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Too funny Clarkie, lets just say I have gotten in trouble a few times for Taxiing aircraft to fast on the ramp. I love doin high speeds on the runway, gets up the pucker factor, plus it scares the hell out of the mech in the other seat.

AV8OR
12-03-2003, 06:05 PM
What kind of aircraft do you work on Ryan?? I work on F-16s.

Italibikefreak
12-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Clarkie what's this three way check valve that you are talking about? And I can cap all the lines that go to the can and nothing bad will happen? I'm a Mechanic to, but I work on Corporate Jets. I get payed well and I've got killer benefits corporate is the way to go.:D

clarkie49
12-03-2003, 08:18 PM
there is a check valve under the right panel that goes from the seat to the tank.

if you remove the check valve it should stop the problem.

THIS IS NOT AN APROVED APRILIA FIX TO THE BIKE!

MY IS THE 'CLARKIE' FIX

as far as i know there are some, not all, CA models that have a problem with the evap/charcoal canister system.

if you are concerned about it go see the dealer you bought the bike off.

if you want to 'rip into it' then follow the hoses from the canister forward, one on the right goes to the check valve then to the tank, you can remove the check valve and route the tank hose down with the other one to the ground.

oh yeah - THIS IS ILLEGAL FOR CALIFORNIA BIKES. but you asked :D

the other hoses go toward the airbox/tb's and i'm not exactly sure where they plug in (dont have that crap out here in NH) but as you are a mechanic you should be able to figure out what to plug up.

someone else in CA that has done this might know exactly where to plug etc or you can take you bike to ken at Evoluzione and he should be able to remove it for you.

just dont plug the line that goes from the tank to the canister, its kinda happening already, suck, blow, you will figure it out

if anyone is ready this and isnt really sure what they are doing then DONT F#CK WITH IT!
(there, thats my disclaimer:D )

mille-ryan
12-03-2003, 08:21 PM
I actually work for Air Wisconsin, a United Express carrier. Work on CRJ-200's, we have 61 of the dam things now, they are way to small for comfort , and also work on BAE-146, things are oldddddd, like a big dump truck. I would love to go cooperate, but kinda like where I live. Heres a pic of the 3 types we used to run, we got rid of the turbo props 2 months ago, I loved those little things.

FORZA
12-03-2003, 09:54 PM
Any of you Aprilia mechanics out there experienced a problem with the C.O. reading being way too lean on the rear cyl. no matter the air screw adjustment?

Dave.

Twin Power
03-09-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Italibikefreak
I just rode home after work and the bike died on me like 3 times coming to a stop at the stop light. And it died on me again when I pulled into the driveway. All I was doing was blimping the throttle does anybody know what the deal is. Will a remap and new exhaust system solve this problem?:(

Sorry to dig this one out, but I'm having the same problem. Besides the "Clarkie fix", can someone tell me if Aprilia has a fix for this problem. One more thing, do all the modles have the canister in the tail, or is that just the California bikes?

Thunder Factory
03-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Only the Californian bikes have the cannister fitted, the rest of us get a useful place to carry a can of beer:D

mossback
03-09-2004, 12:30 PM
I don't have CA Bike but still have the problem. In fact I dumped my bike last week (hate to admit it...) while pulling away from a stop sign slipping the clutch to get moving, so only going about 1\2 mph when the engine just dies. blammo I am at a slight lean and going down, it has happened before but I could catch it. The bike is always in the warm up phase (120-140f) when this happens. And other times sitting at a light in neutral, light change step into gear, apply throttle, dead. Just plain dies the instant you apply the gas.

I am not very happy now :fangs:

PS Thanks to R&G Sliders (front and rear) I have no damage except of course to the front slider.:cool:

Felix Da Cat
03-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Moss,

I've been in the same situation as well. Fortunately, I managed to hold her up - I was in the middle of a busy intersection. I don't have frame sliders, so I would be highly pissed off if I dropped her.

The issue of the stall has been a problem with my bike from day one, as well as a mate who bought an RSVR on the same day as I.

When hot, start her up, and she dies almost immediately. I've gotten used to her, so I just ensure I keep the revs up, although I'm not always succesful.

Gonna get Map2 programmed later this week, so hopefully she will be better. I'll keep you posted with my experiences.

mossback
03-09-2004, 03:53 PM
Yeah I have map 2. SO don't count on that fixing it. I am sure there will be a fix to come about. Maybe clarkie knows of one right now. ???

I have had it die on my before, but before I was always able to recover...just not this time.

Get frame sliders Felix.

:)

Felix Da Cat
03-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Moss,

Not exactly what I wanted to hear about Map 2. I will discuss this with my Aprilia dealer and hear what he says.

We were having an issue with the fueling due to our altitude (1700m asl) and it was mentioned that it was an issue that would be discussed with Italy. Hopefully there is a cure for this.

As per previous posts of mine, prior to my purchase, I still believe that "we" should be free to alter the fuel maps/tables as required. Why the need for a PC3 when the ECU can do it. We just need access to it. :mad:

As far as frame sliders go, I hear ya, and I really don't wanna hear the "I told you so", but I'm also not keen on drilling through my plastics. I guess I will do this ... thanks for the heads up!

Later,
Felix

mossback
03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
The Axione hand held device is something like 2000 US$ the dealer will charge you 35 to 75 bucks every time you want to change the map (assuming that Italy gives them the code to unlock it, I hear it is password protected) but for now there only two programs that can be used with the Axione; Map1 and Map2.

The PCIII will let YOU tweak away and create your own custom maps.

fastbydrmike
03-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Put some new exhaust and switch to the 2nd map and your bike will run great and be extremely fast for a twin.

Mike

Arnie
03-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Moss,
Did you buy your R&G sliders stateside or the other side of the pond? How much?

mossback
03-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey Felix,

I bought em from AF1. You can buy em direct from R&G that's how I found AF1. I think I paid about 270.00US$ for both front and rear. I saved more money than that from a single tip-over. I was so bummed to see my ride on the ground but so happy when I picked her up and found not a scratch except for slight ding in the exhaust can. Oh well I will put Tigcraft on once the full sys is out and I can afford it.

Fastbydrmike, I have done all that. No cats, straight pipe exhaust (sounds awsome) and Map two. Still dies on me occasionally. Stopped by the dealer tonight to ask about it. He said it runs too lean down low is my guess. I know I saw a thread about a\f in dyno run clarkie did.

Thunder Factory
03-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Felix Da Cat
Moss,

As far as frame sliders go, I hear ya, and I really don't wanna hear the "I told you so", but I'm also not keen on drilling through my plastics. I guess I will do this ... thanks for the heads up!

Later,
Felix

Felix

I've had R&G on my last 2 bikes and they were one of the "must" have items fr the new one.

As I ordered the bike the day after the launch I got it delivered before R&G had the 04 sliders sorted and added them to the bike as thye bacame available, which meant the lowers went on about 4 weeks before the uppers.

The bike rolled off the paddock stand on me while I was not thinking and I ended up with a scratched fairing and a snapped break lever, if the uppers had been fitted I would have been fine.

All I'm saying is fit them as they were designed top and lower, the cutout is not visible with the protector in place, and while you get a sweat on doing it (especially in the carbon one) it's not that difficult.

:peace:

Kiwi_M5
03-10-2004, 03:09 AM
3 times in 2500k's for me and I dont have the cannister.

It doesnt seem like a fuel problem as one of the times I had more than idle revs and was changing down - it died halfway through clutch engagement. Other times I put it down to either not warm enough, or user error. But the last time got me thinking it was more computer related (ie, got the signal to just shut down).

I am not concerned about it as I put it down to the Italian quirk factor, but if I dropped it as a result, I would be concerned, and if too many more people have the same issue that they can comfortably say is not user related, then my concern levels would grow.

Clarkie, do you get recall bulletins or anything like that? A bit curious as to whether some of the "apparent" problems that get tabled here actually end up being product issues that dealers hear about.

Otto Parts
03-10-2004, 07:41 AM
funny, i had this prob when i first got my rs125! it would rev freely when in neutral, but then after stomping into first gear if you blipped the throttle it would just choke itself and conk out. or...if i managed to get to the bottom of the road it would conk out at the junction. on my first ride around the block it conked out at 3 out of 4 corners.
i got round it by fiddling with the air screw mixture on the carb (maybe it was running too rich) but seeing as all these 4pokes are fuel injected these days i dunno if you can do that?

clarkie49
03-10-2004, 08:44 AM
when th bike is still in map 1 config. there is a preset setting for the idle which is called 'rpm target'

this i one of the password protected things we as dealers cannot change.
i am not sure if the 'target rpm' is still active in the map 2 mode.

with the futura - which has used the axone from day one - there have been constant updates sent to dealers and then we as dealers can download them into the bikes.

the futura is up version 5.0 and from everyones reactions it is the best map so far.

i think there will be different maps released for sure, but it takes time for Aprilia SPA to gather information to come up with a solution.

yeah, it is driving you nuts but rather than having to go to your dealers 4 times and paying for each map download i think it would be better to wait and download the 'right' map

i have heard that there may be different maps for each country because each country has different fuel and EPA standards, and people ride their bikes @ 10,000ft which is obviously hard to sumulate in Noale.

they may fix the 'low idle' problem as well :D

obviously this is just my opinion and i have not officially heard that there are new maps coming so dont call AUSA or your dealer bugging them about the new map for your bike :D

cman6453
05-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Last post was in March. Any news on this getting fixed? I almost tipped her yesterday because of this.

clarkie49
05-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by cman6453
Last post was in March. Any news on this getting fixed? I almost tipped her yesterday because of this.

get your dealer to load the new version of Map 2 with the new axone version 5.0.2 and you should be good :banana:

just make sure they re-balance the throttle bodies to the new specs using the Axone, not mercury sticks

cman6453
05-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Funny. I called them a couple weeks ago and they apparently haven't gotten it yet. I'll check again to make sure.

Thanks Clarkie!!

clarkie49
05-25-2004, 09:46 AM
they can download it off the Service Aprilia site

Italibikefreak
05-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by clarkie49
they can download it off the Service Aprilia site

I think I will wait till I move over to Clarkies side of the world to have mine looked at. How's the workload over there at seacoast you guys get alot of business. I won't have to wait a month for an appointment do I? :D

X-CBR MAN
04-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Is the check valve the black/grey on under the right side panel? Well I went to put gas in today and allmost could'nt get the cap off! If it is the blk/gry check valve it appears to be good but the hose that goes towards the tank I can't suk any air?? My work manuals should be here soon but in the mean time posibly some help?

StockFactory
04-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Isn't that like illegal? :spam:

cyclebrain
05-05-2005, 11:25 PM
Come on guys, quit trying to sell this guy a bunch of stuff that won't fix his problem. There is something wrong with his bike and it needs to be fixed before messing with maps and exhaust. I have had two different problems that would cause similar symptoms. First was one of the vacuum lines to the vacuum sensor split causing a major vacuum leak. Bike would not idle and had no low end. Second problem was that the connector to the fuel pump was not making a good connection. Bike would all of a sudden decied that it didn't want to start. I guess that it could stop at any time also. Fixed by squeezing the female sockets tighter. Fix the problem first before adding more variables.

clarkie49
05-06-2005, 07:07 AM
Come on guys, quit trying to sell this guy a bunch of stuff that won't fix his problem. There is something wrong with his bike and it needs to be fixed before messing with maps and exhaust. I have had two different problems that would cause similar symptoms. First was one of the vacuum lines to the vacuum sensor split causing a major vacuum leak. Bike would not idle and had no low end. Second problem was that the connector to the fuel pump was not making a good connection. Bike would all of a sudden decied that it didn't want to start. I guess that it could stop at any time also. Fixed by squeezing the female sockets tighter. Fix the problem first before adding more variables.

you call that a major problem? make sure you dont buy a ZX10R then :D

you should sue everyone, your dealer for not check the hoses and connector when they did the PDI, Aprilia USA for importing such a crap bike, Aprilia SPA for making contracts with suppliers who would make such crap rubber hose and such bad connectors, hell you should sue yourself for buying the bike, this is America isnt it? :rolleyes: