PDA

View Full Version : erratic engine idle

watty70
04-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I have a 2006 pegaso trail which has done 3000 miles. It was running fine one moment then upon starting the engine the idle fluctuates erraticly and eventually stalls, this problem persists when accelerating.
I have just rode the bike to Spain and have been doing plenty of ridding around town at low revs so wondering if the carb, spark plug or fuel filter may be blocked.
any advice would be grateful. Matt

AberdeenAngus
04-11-2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah, sounds like the carb :rolleyes:
You need to take the tank off to get at it.
Don't worry it's only a five minute job.

Seriously fella, and no offence, but if you don't know why i'm taking the mick, you need to take it to your dealer.

Wesley
04-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Watty.

Sorry to hear your pegs not well. Obviously when you ssid carb you meant throttle body or injector.

The problem could obviously be down to numerous things but if you've done the most obvious, checked/changed the plug, run the fuel down and filled up with some fresh from a different station and checked all electrical connections & battery terminals are tight then I'd take it to your nearest dealer. The electrical system on the Pegs a tad complex so rather than risk ballsing it up let the dealer have a look.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Wes

zymo
04-11-2008, 01:21 PM
My 2008 peg runs like that when its been out in the rain. It takes a bit of time for the moisture to evaporate but then it's ok again. It's a very annoying problem really as I ride all through the year sun or rain. I've never had a bike that has been so badly affected by damp.

Frodo
04-11-2008, 01:43 PM
My 2008 peg runs like that when its been out in the rain. It takes a bit of time for the moisture to evaporate but then it's ok again. It's a very annoying problem really as I ride all through the year sun or rain. I've never had a bike that has been so badly affected by damp.

The Pegaso has a very exposed connection between the voltage regulator rectifier and the alternator. This is a simple, unsealed multiple connector that sits in the belly pan and seemed to me to be a prime candidate for water problems. I cut my connector out and soldered the connections, finishing with water-proof tape. I ride my bike in rain (if necessary!) and through streams and don't have any electrical missing.

Cheers

keithc
04-12-2008, 03:24 AM
I also notice the rather exposed plugs under the belly pan, and rather than take the action above I pushed silicon grease into every hole in the plugs I could find to try and seal them.

Keith

Panda
04-12-2008, 04:30 AM
I did the same as Keith when the bike was new. I've ridden across whole countries during huge down pours and the bike has never missed a beat.