PDA

View Full Version : Off Road School

PetrolHead
04-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Going to off road school next sunday

http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/

Really looking forward to it, assuming I dont need a skidoo instead.

Panda
04-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Going to off road school next sunday

http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/

Really looking forward to it, assuming I dont need a skidoo instead.
You'll love it! I'm going to the Yamaha Enduro one in Wales next week.

AberdeenAngus
04-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Anyone know of a similar school in Scotland ?

PetrolHead
04-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Absolutely fan-bloody-tastic!!!!!!!

Incredible day out, 9 hours on the trails, and a great Yam 250 bike that I was on it was invincible on any terrain. More later after I've recovered a bit, am proper knackered.

Panda
04-14-2008, 03:50 AM
Anyone know of a similar school in Scotland ?
There used to be a great one over at Kyle of Lochalsh on Yamaha Serrow's, me and a mate did it years ago, but I think the guy emigrated.

PetrolHead
04-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Right then, have just about recovered ;)

The day started relatively early, had to leave my house before 7 to get to Macclesfield for just after 8 sunday morning. The drive there was fantastic in itself, great roads like the A523/A537/A515 past the cat & fiddle pub.

8:00 start... Boyd certainly knows his stuff... had a great brew and a briefing (where in the world would we be without disclaimers to sign!!), fully kitted up with body armour and clothing (all you use of your own is helmet)then a number of top-tips given that proved very useful later in the day.

Was introduced to my Yamaha WR250, complete with a fresh set of knobbly tyres and we set off onto tarmac, first time I've ridden on knobblies, and straight onto a cold wet tarmac road, with new tyres so very green rubber so it was pretty gingerly to start with. Thankfully soon got onto a gravel trail and it was straight onto the pegs... soon got the hand of standing up on the bike after a bit of ballancing act.

We were very lucky with weather that day, only a couple of very minor showers, which was a blessing as it was very hot work on the bike.

We travelled about 140miles overall, from around 9am to 4:30/5:00pm; at least 80% of which was off-road. Two things amased me, firstly the local knowledge of trails by our lead man Martin who's been taking trail sessions for over twenty years, he had an incredible knowledge of where to go and different terrain, each trail flowed onto the next with a great blend of riding on fields, trails, gravel, boulders, hills, valleys, through rivers, quarries, and great bacon butty shops. Secondly was the ability of the bike, as it was pretty bomb proof and unstoppable on almost any terrain. It made its way up some incredible hills in mud, rocks, boulders or gravel, and then down the other side.

The day certainly taught me a huge amount about bike control, as your constantly on the limit of traction and grip. I was well chuffed that I survived the day, it was proper knackering, but at your own pace. You could go as fast or as slow as you want, and have as many breaks as you need (or simply keep going!!!). The 250 was plenty fast enough for the day, was very rare that I was looking for more grunt and the bike being so light made potential spills pretty effortless to recover.

Only had a couple of minor offs, mainly in tractor rutts of doom, and a couple on rock/boulder terrain where your skipping off the tops of em.

After managing to stay awake driving home, I got home about 7pm, still with a huge grin on my face. Is difficult to write and express what the experience was like, but it was a truly top day out and excellent value for money. Put it this way, I'm heading back as soon as I can for another tour (as well as being mentally dragged into every tempting off-road bike shop I go within 5-miles of).

Didnt take many photo's unfortunately, just a few, couple of them below:

Cheers

Panda
04-23-2008, 03:38 AM
The Yamaha Off Road Experience in Powys was fantastic. Our main instructor was Rowan Short (an ISDE medal winner amongst other things) and the trails were everything from farm tracks to the sort of single track I look for on my mountainbike, only with much steeper hills. After some gentler riding and tuition over a track with some gentle berms and jumps we were split into two groups, with a gentler group going off to do some easier stuff.

I've previoulsy done a couple of these days, one mostly green laning on a KTM 125, and one riding about in the highlands on a Yamaha Serrow, but there was a much broader selection of riding.

I rode a TTR250, 06 WR250F, 06 WR400F and then an 08 WR400F. Even for someone who hasn't ridden off road ofr years the difference between the 06 and 08 WR400F's was really noticeable. I haven't laughed out loud so much on any other bike ever! You could choose one bike and stick with it, one girl even had a small wheel TTR125 - there were also TTR230's and DTR125's.

There was about a dozen of us, with varying degrees of riding experience (all from my work, so all road riders at least) and I think we'd all go back right now if we could (except for one guy who doesn't like excercise!). So much so that I am possibly buying an enduro bike of my own this weekend...

Oh, and there might be a review of the day in the Riders Digest sometime soon.

PetrolHead
04-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Sounds great; any contact details or web-link?

Panda
04-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Web link:

http://www.yamaha-offroad-experience.co.uk/

fazerjane
04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow, looks great... is it too early to start my Christmas list, do you think?

Red7
04-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Sounds great; any contact details or web-link?

Looks brill PetrolHead, let me know when you're going again as I'm definately up for it.

Panda
04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
I fancy trying this lot out:

http://www.i2imca.com/index.htm

The off road school is near Helmsley, not far from York...

PetrolHead
04-24-2008, 01:30 AM
That does look good, can't tell how long you get for your money though?

(Whilst I remember, Do you reckon my avatar is a close match to me? given that there's a photo of me in the thread)