PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tail light bulbs

Frodo
04-05-2008, 02:56 PM
One of my tail light bulbs is out and another is off intermittently. I understand that they are bulbs, not LEDs.

Neither of my manuals shows how to remove the light unit or replace the bulbs and an initial examination shows that its a mission to get to the unit.

Has anyone had tail light problems? Could the offending bulbs be replaced or must the light unit be replaced (my bike is still under warranty)? How do you remove the unit?

Thanks

keithc
04-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I would leave this to the dealer you brought the bike from. If you mess with it yourself it might void the guarantee.
For info the indicators are bulbs, the tail light is LED's

Keith

Wesley
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
One of my tail light bulbs is out and another is off intermittently. I understand that they are bulbs, not LEDs.

Neither of my manuals shows how to remove the light unit or replace the bulbs and an initial examination shows that its a mission to get to the unit.

Has anyone had tail light problems? Could the offending bulbs be replaced or must the light unit be replaced (my bike is still under warranty)? How do you remove the unit?

Thanks

Hya Frodo

The rear light unit LED's are not really owner serviceable.

Have you checked the plug connection for the rear light unit and the wiring for chaffing? Its odd that so many LED's have gone out at once, sounds like a wiring problem.

If not sure tho' I'd take it back to the dealer.

Good Luck

Wes

Frodo
04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Have you checked the plug connection for the rear light unit and the wiring for chaffing? Its odd that so many LED's have gone out at once, sounds like a wiring problem.

How do you get access to the connection? I've attached Givi side panniers and top box and would prefer to leave them on.

I should add that I noticed this when I tapped into the yellow/green wire coming out of the white connector to the left of the airbox intake to run a wire to a stoplight I fitted in my Givi topbox (the days are getting shorter here and the roads darker). The fault could have been there before (unnoticed) and does not disappear when I disconnect the topbox stoplight. Closer examination showed that the apparently dead LED comes on occasionally.

Thanks

Cupid Stunt
04-06-2008, 03:05 AM
Dodgy connectio or broken wire somewhere Frodo
You'll just have to trace it. you might need someone to watch the light whilst you fiddle with the wires

I had to do that with my indicators once, unfortunatley my mate was a bit thick and when I asked if my indictaor was working he said "yes, no, yes, no, yes, no............"

:burnout:

Frodo
04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
The dealers concluded it was a faulty tail light unit and have ordered a new one.

Cheers