PDA

View Full Version : Mana in Korea but not USA?

skooter
03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Aprilia has already shipped the Mana to Korea. A guy on maxmoto says he is picking his up next Monday. Why exactly is it that they can crate up units and put them on a boat bound for Korea (probably a month ago) but can't be bothered to ship anything to the USA? Why does the entire world get them before we do? I'm just not seeing the logic here and can't figure out why the USA is an afterthought and why we get ignored and pissed on. Are they waiting to find out what color doesn't sell so they can ship those left-over units to us?

William the Third
03-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Aprilia has already shipped the Mana to Korea. A guy on maxmoto says he is picking his up next Monday. Why exactly is it that they can crate up units and put them on a boat bound for Korea (probably a month ago) but can't be bothered to ship anything to the USA? Why does the entire world get them before we do? I'm just not seeing the logic here and can't figure out why the USA is an afterthought and why we get ignored and pissed on. Are they waiting to find out what color doesn't sell so they can ship those left-over units to us?
I think it has to do with that the US is the biggest market for large bikes and that we are so sue happy. They want to work out as many bugs as they can before they ship to the states.

Micah / AF1 Racing
03-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Nailed by Enigma. We are the most litigious society on Earth, we will also complain about almost anything very loudly that we find wrong or un-Hondalike with this new Mana. Italy knows this, they usually release everything in their home market and then other world markets long before we get it. Hell Australia had the Shiver for months before we got it.

It is still scheduled for Q3/Q4 or late 2008 in the USA as a 2009 model.

skooter
03-29-2008, 12:22 PM
It is still scheduled for Q3/Q4...

When is Q3 on the Aprilia corporate calendar?
Q1 for my company is post tax filing (april-june).

pete roper
03-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Yup, the situation is the same with the other aprilia brands.

The new 8V Griso won't get to the USA until, at the very earliest, the end of '08. They've had tem in Europe since November last year and we here in Oz are getting them next month, (I hope to have mine by the end of April.). Like wise the Mana has been available for a couple of months in Europe but won't be here until May and who knows when you'll get it in the USA.

By launching new machines near *home* if there are serious problems that develop the cost of fixing them is much reduced as freight for parts or getting defective parts returned for analysis kis much easier. Once they are more certain of the integrity of the product they will tend to ship it to Oz next. I can only assume this is because our environment is so harsh and our distances so huge that any potential problems that wouldn't show up in Europe where distances travelled are generally smaller and the climate less extreme will show up here, in a small, relatively insignificant market!

Once they are pretty sure they have everything on the money. THEN and only then will they start shipping to the USA.

There is also the fact that Piagio USA have a reputation as being one of the most cretinous corporate entities ever to exist on the face of the planet!

Pete

sdg
03-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Pete is spot on. In addition Piaggio USA is exactly that, Piaggio USA and the boss folks do indeed want the bikes spot on when possible before launch.

They held up the 08 offroads long enough to make sure they were all 100% correct unlike the 07's and guess what? They are, nice job Piaggio USA.

I have seen a Mana (actually Thursday) in good old California, not for public consumption however absolutely being put thru its paces. I hope to get my hands on it in the next month for a week at our store.

Regarding Pete's statement of the highly anticipated Griso 8V it will not be here until Q1 2009 and it will be a 2009 year model. Again Piaggio USA is letting them roll on other continents and waiting for the bugs to be worked out.

As a Piaggio dealer I am thrilled with this philosophy, anything as good as we tell you in our showroom is surely worth waiting for.

Best,
David
Aprilia Thousand Oaks

pete roper
03-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't worry Dave. I plan to try as hard as I can to break my 8V:D. Why? 'Cos if I'm out in the middle of bumf@ck Western Australia, (MUCH bigger than Texas!) I don't want it to break down unexpectedly. Drinking your own urine gets old really quickly!

Incidentally I'm expecting to have it in my grubby little paws at the end of April. I'll be coming over for the National Rally in CA and *if* I can ship it without too many complications I'll be bringing it with me so if you have any interested customers they may be able to have a squizz before any other ones actually get anywhere near the USA!

As stated though, if it turns out to be a huge buracratic bun-fight to do it I'll just get my Scura from Houston and ride over on that.

Pete

Gtrain
03-30-2008, 02:50 AM

You do get them Beta tested everywhere first as everyone above has said.

Also you get them cheaper than anywhere else as well, so if you have to wait 6 months longer to get them, be thankful to everyone else for testing and paying more, so you can get the better quality product

Jon / AF1 Racing
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Aprilia doesn't have the factory production level like one of the Japanese brands either, so they must stagger their releases of bikes. That is why our first shipment of bikes is usually very small as well. They satisfy the close customers first, then us.

seoultrain
04-05-2008, 11:32 AM
It's in korea.....but it's $14k:bangwall:

dplewis
04-06-2008, 06:11 AM
Hi Guys. I'm that Korean who wrote to MaxMoto site. Last week, the first import stock of Mana was arrived in Korea. Total 10 Manas or so I heard. Now I'm waiting for the registration & insurance process, and I expect to make my first Mana touring next weekend.

I agree that the price of Mana is expensive in Korea even though considering the currency exchange rate(EUR and KRW currency rate was gone crazy for the past 3 months). But, Mana case is quite quite better than the other brands like Ducati, BMW and Harley in Korea. Too much "Brand" margin they apply, I guess^^.

Take a vist to my Mana blog, http://dplewis.egloos.com, I'll try to describe various aspects of Mana in my blog, and you can check the pros and cons of this new bike(English & Korean-mixed blog, though^^).

mybug
04-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the great pics. They provide a lot of detail beyond what we've been able to acquire from reviews or the manablog.

Keep them coming.

Tell us about the ride as you get more hours on her.

Did you get the side panniers or shield ? I guess not.

later,

dplewis
04-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Thank you "mybug" for your interest^^.
The Mana is not yet officially permitted to ride on the road by Korean Ministry of Transportation. Newcomer needs lots of things to be checked, the dealer said, and my Mana is still in the shop. I made a purchase contract on February...means I waited too long..., and my dealer promised the long waiting is supposed to be ended by this weekend^^.

The Korean motorcycle magazines will produce ridden stories in their May 2008 issue, and I'll introduce them in my blog with pictures, along with my own. Visit my blog from time to time and check 'em^^. Thank you! :)

No additional parts imported to Korea for Mana, and I don't have plan to get them. Especially, the shield is not my taste at all^^

roachie
04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Guys. I'm that Korean who wrote to MaxMoto site. Last week, the first import stock of Mana was arrived in Korea. Total 10 Manas or so I heard. Now I'm waiting for the registration & insurance process, and I expect to make my first Mana touring next weekend.

I agree that the price of Mana is expensive in Korea even though considering the currency exchange rate(EUR and KRW currency rate was gone crazy for the past 3 months). But, Mana case is quite quite better than the other brands like Ducati, BMW and Harley in Korea. Too much "Brand" margin they apply, I guess^^.

Take a vist to my Mana blog, http://dplewis.egloos.com, I'll try to describe various aspects of Mana in my blog, and you can check the pros and cons of this new bike(English & Korean-mixed blog, though^^).

Great blog!! :worship::worship::worship: I have the Scarabeo 500, but hope to be getting the Mana when they're available in the US. It's great to read your entries...

dplewis
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Thank you roachie^^.

I'm very much interested in the dummy tank of Mana, which is one of the special advantages of this new concept bike. I have a plan to use GPS navigation system on behalf of dummy tank space...means I'll locate GPS system inside the dummy tank and connect the navigation voice to wireless earphone outside(...in a way of strictly safe mode, with a fullface helmet and protect equipments, low volume). I couldn't test this yet, but I expect to get my Mana pretty soon. Please visit my blog from time to time, I'll try to describe in detail of Mana in every aspect^^.

SilverBeo
04-24-2008, 02:55 AM
Great blog!! :worship::worship::worship: I have the Scarabeo 500, but hope to be getting the Mana when they're available in the US. It's great to read your entries...

I must say the SAME! Thanks - It was Great checking out your Blog on the MANA,,,Lucky,,,I too will be moving from a Scarabeo 500GT to the 850 MANA if we ever see one here.....

SilverBeo
04-25-2008, 12:33 AM
It is still scheduled for Q3/Q4 or late 2008 in the USA as a 2009 model.

I hear its now "FACT" that the MANA 850 will be here in JUNE.....

motokitty
04-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I've been told by the local dealer (Scuderia West) to expect mine by the end of summer...I hope that's the case--I can't wait!!

:lover:

skooter
04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I've been told by the local dealer (Scuderia West) to expect mine by the end of summer...

I hear its now "FACT" that the MANA 850 will be here in JUNE...

The AF1 guys say Fall 08 as a 2009 model.
June as a FACT or end of summer if we're lucky?

Apparently, nobody bothered to ask at the recent Texas meeting.