PDA

View Full Version : 70cc kit or no??

vfr800fi
03-27-2008, 08:52 PM
I am torn...I have a malossi 70cc kit sitting here to go in my 06 ditech but i am unsure if its worth my time....I could install it and like it or just ride the scoot as is and never no what i am missing??? Its an easy 300 if i dont install it...

da ude
03-27-2008, 10:35 PM
vfr800fi, it all depends on what you need out of your scooter. If your looking for top end then just a BBK will need some assistance from new gearing to truely maximize top speed. Then again if your interested in punch off of the line and good midrange just install the BBK and you will still gain maybe 2-4 mph. Again with just the BBK the off the line punch will be sufficient to easily loft the front with a wee bit of rider ability.
If you decide to spring for the extra gears for max speeds' sake what you end up with is acceleration on par with a derestricted SR thats been fitted with a pipe and at least in my case 9-10 more mph in top end.

What follows was origionally in another thread but it will give you an idea of the possabilities with these scoots, and the mods that effected my speed were actually rather minimal; reeds, BBK, pipe and secondary gears, ok maybe the 140 rear tire.

Just thought that I would share my results with the polini 70(64)cc kit. My mods are:

(ALL SPEEDS QUOTED ARE SITTING UP STRAIGHT.. NOT TUCKED)

Polini 70(64)cc kit (brass plunger)
Polini secondary gears
NGK cr7eix
Boyesen dual stage reeds
Leo Vince zx 7.2 g rollers
Royal Purple 75w90 fully synth gear oil
Blue Marble 2t mineral oil
Chevron 91 octane
140/60 rear tire
stage 6 260mm free floating wavey front disk
Ape sport shock
Ape sport wind screen
Ape side stand
driver weight(+ gear) 155 lbs (190 lbs)
Everything else mechanical on my scooter is stock (have some visual mods)
top speed on flat, dead calm: 61-62 mph (8,700 rpm) holds up slight grades
max speed down extreme hill: 69 mph (10,000 rpm); up that hill scoot slows to 47 mph
speed down average hill: 64 mph (9,000 rpm)

Before the mods my fuel mileage was 73 mpg, since the changes it has improved to 83-85 mpg.

I live in the country and riding into the city is a 35 mile trip one way, due to the distance most of it is covered with the throttle wide open. Thank heaven the SR handles the trip with ease. In fact most days I'm more likely to be pushing the traffic than it is for me to be pushed. On a recent trip to see a friend I drove 62 miles each way, taking one and a half hours each way. I know that I could have cut 20 minutes off of that time if I would have been able to avoid going straight through the middle of the city and been able to stay on the rural roads. One cool thing that happened on this trip was when I passed a tractor and trailer and just kept slowly pulling away, as I watched him fade into the distance I realized how wild it actually was for a 70(64)cc scooter to pull away from a truck on the highway.
My next step is to get ahold of a Technigas rs70 (and Dr. roller sliders in 6.8 or 7 grams)as I believe that my Leo Vince zx is holding me back as its power peak is 2,000 rpm below the power peak of the Polini cylinder. I hope to be able to reach 65 mph on the flat with the new pipe(and sliders/rollers).
Any advise to improve my performance would be appreciated.
BTW I am Very happy with the Polini Kit, no dash errors and runs great!

Hope this can help you make the right decision:cheers:

THE MAX
03-28-2008, 12:53 AM
My next step is to get ahold of a Technigas rs70 (and Dr. roller sliders in 6.8 or 7 grams)as I believe that my Leo Vince zx is holding me back as its power peak is 2,000 rpm below the power peak of the Polini cylinder. Is it ?

da ude
03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
THE MAX, ......er, well maybe not at the moment:confused:, now I'm just hoping that my Italian beauty can be made to run smoothly again. The majority of that post in question was copied and pasted from a post from long ago. It seemed to give some detail concerning the performance of a BBK and as it was late and I was tired I just copied the whole thing without having completely re-read it.
vfr800fi To bring you up to date on some issues I'm having with my SR please check out the thread "Gentlemen, experts please advise". The Technigas pipe is on hold till my air and fueling problems are resolved.
So actually my next move is to just get my scooter running properly again, once the idle can be stabilized I'll worry about the possible performance increase of a new pipe, sorry for the misleading info gents:cheers:

Good eye THE MAX:plus:

vfr800fi
03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
wow lots of info...I am a bigger dude and i am looking for punch and harder exelleration...I can get 54 or so out of it now on a slight down hill so i am good with that...

da ude
03-28-2008, 05:21 PM
vfr800fi, In that case then the Mallossi BBk sound like just what your looking for, have fun!!!:cheers:

Vikter
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
wow lots of info...I am a bigger dude and i am looking for punch and harder exelleration...I can get 54 or so out of it now on a slight down hill so i am good with that...

Is it bone stock? I am 140lbs and mine has 500 miles on it. I cant get it past 52 down a big hill.

Will the Malossi BBK lower my reliability?

vinylengraver
03-28-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm pondering about the same thing right now.
My warranty will run out in a month or so, and I have a Polini kit and Boyesen reeds sitting on a shelf. But... the scoot is running so nicely and has gotten so smooth and quick after the top end rebuild that I'm no longer sure if i should do it. The cylinder/piston are practically just broken-in and I'm thinking that perhaps I should keep the kit and put it on when the current cylinder needs replacement in a couple of years.
I've been thinking of experimenting with bowlini/boyesen setup for the time being (despite of my earlier doubts).
And I honestly think I could very likely get just about the same performance increase as with a BBK if I lose about thirty pounds or so, which wouldn't be such a bad idea actually, for many reasons.
Choices, choices...
Kris

Vikter
03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Are the reeds carbon fiber? Stock reeds are metal, right?

Ciudale
03-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Stock reeds are metal, right?

They are.

Vikter
03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought so since the Aerox's are.
Where can I get CF reeds for the SR50 in the US?

da ude
03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
www.scootopiaonline.com
:cheers:

HONDARACER
03-29-2008, 06:43 PM
The only time I want more power is going up steep hills. I have achieved 108kph downhill on mine regualrly. Its only insured for 50kph so if I crash at that speed the insurance co might deny a claim. I just ordered a racing shock and kick stand so those are my mods untill the motor pukes or it just wont lug me up steep hills no more. I wish I had a turbo button so I could at least go traffic speed up steep hills.