PDA

View Full Version : Mana 850.

pete roper
03-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Good morning.

Has anybody here had a chance to ride the Mana yet? Just asking as I've been a long time owner and afficionado of the Guzzi Convert and am planning on taking a long hard look at a Mana when they arrive in Oz. I doubt they're in the USA yet but if there is someone in Europe who has had a chance to swing a leg over one I'd be fascinated to get a first hand opinion that isn't simply a hagiographic ejaculation from the Aprilia publicity department!:happy:

Pete

Motofrog
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Good reviews from press so far, in Europe. Try search online. Telegraph motoring Kevin Ash. Also I think MCN (Motor Cycle News) have tested it.
Dealers are getting their demos now in the UK . Perhaps there will be a few on here, who will have a go and report!

gallego1968
05-05-2008, 03:04 AM
I test rode the Mana on Saturday from the Ace cafe. I was impressed with the Mana and i now know it`s my next bike either late this year or early next year depending on my cash flow.
I was impressed with the handleing and smoothness of the bike, it was comfy but at 80-90mph there was a lot of buffering, so when i order mine i`ll order the sports screen to go with it.

00zero
05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
"so when i order mine i`ll order the sports screen to go with it."

Is there a photo of the screen, if you would like to post it for the rest of us.

skooter
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
so when i order mine i`ll order the sports screen to go with it.

Yes, tell us about this mystery sports-screen. The only shield I've seen is an oversized monstrosity.

About the Mana, reviews have been good in contrast to the piss-poor reviews Honda's DN-01 is getting for being a slow, heavy, overly-long wheelbase slug of a bike with no storage. My only complaint about the design of the Mana is the too-tall seat height.

pete roper
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Given That the forks yokes are pretty much identical to the MG Griso but with less adjustability I'd imagine it would be very easy to fit the 'Large' Griso screen which is in fact quite small but effective.

Since I'll be setting mine up for 'Touring' I may well try the barn door option, I can always swap it for something more, errr, petite, down the track if it's awful.

Pete

DaineseUSA
05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
The Mana is awesome and it did very well in the twisties last Sunday.
Plus it gets very very good gas mileage.

J.Bauer
05-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Glad to hear the good report.

Would you be inclined to share how you were able to test one in The States?

Thanks

00zero
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Yea, Yea, was the riding done in the USA???

And my question is: How does the transmission feel if you are going, let say from 70-75mph an rapidly slow down, make a turn at 30mph and get back on the gas??
Thank you.

DaineseUSA
05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
The riding was done last Sunday for 200+ miles up around Malibu Canyon/RockStore/ all around there.

The bike feels great, but should be put in sport mode for the twisties.
Front end feedback isn't nearly as good as the RSV Factory that I rode most of the day, but of course they are completely different.

No issues going from 70-75 to hard stops and making the turns.

The bike doesn't command much attention at all... unless you know what it is.
The Tuono guy that we saw up there, recognized it immediately.

The full helmet storage is just awesome. Talk about a great idea!

pete roper
05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Front end feedback isn't nearly as good as the RSV Factory that I rode most of the day, but of course they are completely different.

From looking at the pics it appears that the Forks are non-adjustable? Yes? A shame, but you can't have everything. I'd guess that the rear suspension is a bit cruder than most modern 'Sports' bikes too as it is a simple cantilever system with no rising rate linkage. The Shiver uses a similar system though doesn't it? And I hadn't noticed anyone complaining about the handling on that. There are weight benefits to a simple system too.

Pete

SilverBeo
05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
DaineseUSA, I will be in Orange County, Ca. this THURSDAY 5/8/08 WHERE can I go to see one (MANA) Can you PM me on a Aprilia Dealer there? Any help would be great........Thx.

freebird
05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
A test-ride of the Mana in California?
Is the Mana at USA dealers?

1stscoot
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM

What kind of gas mileage did you get?

DaineseUSA
05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
The Mana was getting easily over 50mpg on freeway...says the trip computer.
It was averaging 46.5 at the end of the day which included all the freeway jaunts, and twisty fun.
Punching it from a stop....it says 6mpg, ha ha.

No Mana is not in dealers..yet.

CapoGrandad
05-08-2008, 02:10 AM
I'd be interested to hear how the Mana fares in heavy traffic, which I find to be a pain on most bikes. Modern engines with light flywheels jus don't seem to like trickling along slowly, and I find myself using the clutch a lot in slow moving traffic. (2003 Caponord)

JohnG.
05-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Heres a bit of info on screens & luggage...
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/aprilia/aprilia_mana_850%2007.htm
I suspect the 'rain mode' & auto trans will be great in traffic...
...another one for the shortlist...which is rapidly turning into a long list...

pete roper
05-08-2008, 04:33 AM
I thought the tyres looked stupid fat in the pics. Now it's confirmed. 190/55 on the rear and (?) 120/70 on the front! Well, I'll be wearing them out asap and fitting something more suitable. Good grief! Even my 8V Griso, which is more powerful and a lot heavier, doesn't pretend to need such stupidly sized tyres! Isn't fashion wonderful? NOT:spankie:

Pete

Demonio
05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi there - I got my new Mana last Friday and took it for a 300km spin on Saturday, mixing highway, hilly roads and heavy city traffic.

It handles very well in traffic and the fact of not having to fight with the clutch and everything is a blessing. I discover myself using the automatic gear in touring mode only in the city traffic. As soon as the roads allow for it, it comes natural for me to pass to manual switch at the handle. I never, never use the gear bar at my left foot.

The automatic rain mode is the only thing that doesn't convince me: if you really need to use it in the rain, and you don't have any engine braking power, you end up using a lot more your brakes, with the risks that that might entail.

I have posted a long review of my first 300km here on my blog, but it is in Italian. I will be creating some English pages soon: http://demoniopellegrino.blogspot.com/2008/05/mana-clarabella-i-primi-300-km-applausi.html

CapoGrandad
05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
When Kevin Ash tried a Mana and wrote up his impressions in a newspaper(Telegraph?) he complained about vibration through the bars at speed. Has anyone got enough experience with a Mana to comment on this?

tha-mask
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I picked up one yeaterday and have so far driven about 100 miles. No problems what so ever with vibes through the handle bars. On my Nexus, sometimes my hands would go numb, but nothing so far on the Mana.

Demonio
05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
When Kevin Ash tried a Mana and wrote up his impressions in a newspaper(Telegraph?) he complained about vibration through the bars at speed. Has anyone got enough experience with a Mana to comment on this?

I must admit that vibrations are present, and become annoying especially in the automatic-sport mode, when the engine is artificially kept at very high tours.

But in touring, rain, and with the sport gear - when you choose the gears - vibrations are almost not noticeable. Almost, though. You can still feel them (you can't feel them on my v-strom 650, so I know the difference...)

CapoGrandad
05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
That's disappointing. There is no excuse for vibration from a 90-degree V-twin. :confused:

Demonio
05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi there, as planned, I have created a sort of an English version of my Italian blog. I have written a long review (with pictures) of my impressions on the mana, what I like or don't like, here: http://mototourism.blogspot.com/2008/05/aprilia-mana-first-impressions-after.html

Hope it is useful.

almansur
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
I've just today installed the side bigs on my new Mana. It's an upgrade from a Silverwing which I put 10000 miles on. I got it at the end of April from Vespa of Oceanside, Ca. So far the mileage, commuting, 23 miles, half freeway, half surface streets, looks to be about 45mpg which is better than the 'wing. I had to fill the 'wing every 3 days. The Mana is every 4. Reserve is good for at least 27 miles. I haven't tried my GPS yet so I can't say how accurate the speedometer is.

Except for the lack of a windscreen, commuting is fantastic. I usually run in Drive Touring, the full auto mode. Drive Sport is like running one gear too low. Both acceleration and braking are improved and it makes me want to rip a hole through the traffic. I have Drive Sport on one commute and did feel some vibration as mentioned in another post. This was odd being something like a buzz going on for 2 seconds then off for 2 seconds. Only in Drive Sport. I changed to Drive Touring and it stopped. Back to Drive Sport and the buzz started up again. I was doing 70+ MPH at the time. I haven't noticed it at other/slower speeds. I haven't tried Drive Rain mode. This is California.

I've only tried the Sport Gear mode once and that was my accident. It depends on how long you hold the gear mode button down as to which option you get, drive or sport. I did shift it with the finger paddles some and that worked. I also found there're warning RPM lights to tell you to shift. 4 yellow and 1 red. And that's about all the manual says about them.

I've attached images of the bike with the bags. They went on Ok although I wasn't expecting to need a torque wrench or to be messing with the suspension. The instructions were barely adequate and contained no explanation of why rubber spacers were to be changed out with aluminum ones. 2 more lock washers were called for than were provided. The bags stick out maybe 4 inches farther than the grips/mirrors so lane splitting will be more risky than it already is.

Also, I found 2 damaged bolts. One on the right rear bungee spool, no big deal. The other is the main bolt holding the right foot support bracket; the one where the rubber spacers were changed to metal. In both cases it looked like the bolt threads were damaged either before, during or after insertion. I really had to crank on it to get the foot support bolt out. Then I cleaned up the damaged threads with a file until it when back in close to normally.

One of the images is of the spare parts left or removed.

In case you're wondering, the bike's front tire is stuck in a Condor chock thing. Since there's no center stand!

I've also added an autoswitch with garage door opener. All that tucked up into the headlight housing quite nicely. The autoswitch lets the high-beam switch trigger the garage door opener.

Can anyone tell me if these bags, especially the brackets, are standard gear?
Will other bags fit them? I'd like to run something smaller and slimmer on a daily basis.

RichardU
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Can anyone tell me if these bags, especially the brackets, are standard gear?

What do you mean by that? You have the bags, where did they come from?

I have some existing Monokey bags that I would like to use. I'd also like a rack with quick-release ability.

Richard

almansur
08-13-2008, 12:15 AM
The bags and brackets came from Aprilia via AF1.
http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp
Part #CM223601

I'm wondering if the brackets are standard in that other, smaller, bags may fit.

RichardU
08-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I asked AF1 about the stock bags and brackets. Apparently there is no way to attach standard bags without fabricating something yourself.

Your bags look great on the bike.