PDA

View Full Version : Project: 'Exhaust'

clsmooth
03-16-2008, 06:59 PM
This is one of the projects I'd like to do to the bike; and got around to picking up the parts for this one. Every experiment has a theory and reason, so...

Theory: The best engineered exhaust for an SR50 is the factory one itself.

Reason: I guess cause I'm cheap haha I picked up a spare exhaust today from the dealer. They actually had an extra one lying around. Apparently I got a good deal at $90, cause the guy told me that it retails for $600 new.

Who knows, there might be a performance exhaust hiding within the factory one already, and it would only cost a little bit of time. It also weighed in at 13 lbs, I'd like to get that down as well.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3160001.jpg

I hope to start on the madness in the next few weeks.

muchacho
03-16-2008, 07:19 PM
What exactly are you going to do to it? Strip it to see what is inside?

jusdan
03-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Good idea, I was thinking about cutting off the scilencer and welding it to the end,so it would be straight threw.

You need to think about the differences compaired to performace exhaust and stock.

E.g Size

Sududri134
03-16-2008, 07:24 PM
would be soo cool if you could slice it in half, and upload a picture of what it looks like inside :D

serpent12
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
You won't be able to get the same performance results of any of the ' skinny ' pipes from the likes of Gianelli, Arrow..etc

It might be an interesting project, just don't go expecting amazing results. The weight of the stock exhaust should be enough to turn you off the project :bangwall:

benzina
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
I will be looking on in great interest,as i have always been intrigued by the stock exhausts aswell. It would certainly be a first on this forum,to finally reveal the inside make-up of the stock pipe,and if it has a catalytic converter in there,and you could extract it,then this will lessen the weight,and probably make it perform better to.
Does your user manual state that your stock exhaust has a catalytic converter? My Piaggio NRG manual says that i have a duel cat,and it's certainly pretty solid & heavy,but i am very happy with the overall performance,looks & sound.

Lorenzo
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
If you're gonna paint it later, try these hi-temp automotive spray paint (http://www.hightempenginepaint.com/). I found them online. 24 hi-temp colors plus a primer and a clear-gloss. All hi-temp up to 1200F!

Also, I agree with some of these guys here that you may wanna put the stock pipe on a diet. See if you could drill some "cool-looking" holes on the hanger plate to get rid of some excess metal (w/o compromising its integrity, of course). Definitely get rid of the chrome guard. Then, there's a piece of metal rod that sticks out on the right-hand side of the frame where the optional security cable lock fits on. Well, if you will never use it just cut it off w/a saw. That thing weighs at least a pound.

Good luck with your project!--Lorenzo

clsmooth
03-20-2008, 12:16 AM
I took the muffler's chrome "grill" off. It only weighed a mere 171g, so not much weight saving there.

I wanted to take it off the muffler currently on my bike when I got it, but the bolts were pre-stripped from factory :tired: , so I just painted it black for the time being.

There are spot welds/rivets (hard to tell) here and there around the casing of the muffller, suggesting something's being held or suspended inside. Why else would they need to be there...

TiminIndy
03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Reason: I guess cause I'm cheap haha I picked up a spare exhaust today from the dealer. They actually had an extra one lying around. Apparently I got a good deal at $90, cause the guy told me that it retails for $600 new.

You paid $90 for that boat anchor?

I would guess anybody who has installed an aftermarket pipe can't give theirs away.

You can get a Leo Vinci ZX for about $150 brand new - $199 chromed from AF1.

benzina
03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
You paid $90 for that boat anchor?

I would guess anybody who has installed an aftermarket pipe can't give theirs away.

You can get a Leo Vinci ZX for about $150 brand new - $199 chromed from AF1.

One must put it into context for what it is,and also judged on it's own merits,therefor, the Aprilia exhaust is:
(1) The genuine article (a purist requisite)
(2) Very long lasting (should outlast the aftermarket type)
(3) Very good looking (designed specifically for the bike)
(4) Quieter then the aftermarket type,and still sound good due to the performance design.
(5) Embodies the ultimate performance exhaust design type of,(reverse cone, expansion chamber,s-bend,+ silencer type)
(6) Very clean running,and still very good performance overall.

EasyParts in Europe, list this exhaust for :
Morini DiTech - 213 Euro
Piaggio DiTech - 280 Euro

I think $90 US,for a very near new Genuine exhaust is a great buy,when comparing to the listed new retail price,(you might also just want to keep it for a spare),but if you choose to experiment with the pipe,then all power to you for sure.

My genuine exhaust still looks and sounds brand new,and i live on the coast,where there is a lot of salt,yet no sight of rust.I have covered 15000kms,and i can't complain about my performance,with a top speed of 90kph,and 0-50kph = 7.2secs.
Personally,i love the solid genuine performance exhausts,from the quality manufacturers.

TiminIndy
03-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I have one in the garage anyone can have for free - just pay the shipping.

clsmooth
03-21-2008, 12:22 AM
I think $90 US,for a very near new Genuine exhaust is a great buy

*ahem* $90 CAD ;)

I have one in the garage anyone can have for free - just pay the shipping.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127398

benzina
03-21-2008, 03:23 AM
Yep, sorry i missed the CAD,but if i'm right, 1 CAD = 1.0039 U.S, so it still works out more or less the same anyhow,and basically,you paid about 1/4 of the new price,so i think thats good in my opinion. But hey,if you can get one for next to nothing,then thats better still.
I'd be fascinated to see a cross section of one of these genuine pipes,as the manufacturers never reveal the details anywhere.(i'm a curious bugger)
I remember seeing a near new one hanging up at my dealers,if it's still there when i go there next,i'll see if i can get it for cheap,and have someone carefully open it up,thats if you don't end up doing it.

TiminIndy
03-21-2008, 06:30 AM
*ahem* $90 CAD ;)

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127398

Sorry - I never saw the post when you were looking for one.

benzina
03-21-2008, 08:02 AM
This is one of the projects I'd like to do to the bike; and got around to picking up the parts for this one. Every experiment has a theory and reason, so...

Theory: The best engineered exhaust for an SR50 is the factory one itself.

Who knows, there might be a performance exhaust hiding within the factory one already, and it would only cost a little bit of time. It also weighed in at 13 lbs, I'd like to get that down as well.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3160001.jpg

I hope to start on the madness in the next few weeks.

clsmooth, what year SR 50 Di-Tech did that pipe come off?
I ask this, because to me, it looks a little strange for some reason,and now i've worked out what it is. The chrome protector is mounted upside-down,and does not flow with the natural shape of the expansion chamber,where as all the stock SR pipes i've seen has it mounted to suit the overall shape,and thats the arch on top. And regarding that top-arch of the expansion chamber,i don't remember it having the 3 distinct lumps as yours does,just the 1 lump on the back third.
Considering you did pay something for it, you want to make sure they sold you something that is at least current and up to date,and that has not been bastardised,even though you plan to attack it yourself.

clsmooth
03-21-2008, 12:18 PM
I didn't even notice til you mentioned it. I double checked the one currently on my bike, and it's right-side-up.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P8100045.jpg

The up-side-down 'grill' has been removed anyways now and there's a 99.9% chance it's never going back on. It was fairly easy to take off, bolts weren't spectacularly tight. I was told it's off an 07 and I compared it to mine and they look identical. It would have to be 07 as the province of BC was only permitted to import, sell and insure SR50's since last year.

I double check the writing imprinted into the muffler, under the grill. It's an actual Aprilia product. What I found funny was there was gasket material between the grill and muffller, like it'd be the end of the world if the grill started to discolour :happy:

I'll hopefully be hacking up the thing tonight or tomorrow night.

THE MAX
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Any chance it is a carb version ?

-I got same as yours (as on the scoot) fitted on a 02 ......

That means grill up ,and only 1 distinct lump in it as Benzina pointed

The one you bought has 3 ........

edit max >

Corection> mine has 3 as well

clsmooth
03-21-2008, 04:24 PM
I doubt it, you can only get SR50's with DiTech around here. Carb doesn't exhist...

benzina
03-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Just back on spot the differences,because i think we varified that the grill on the pipe you bought was in fact mounted upside-down,using this way of looking at it.....
Here's 2 ways of seeing the difference:
(1) Look at the center triangle cut-out of the grill...The pipe you bought has it's center triangle pointing upwards,where as the one on your bike(and in picture below) has it's center triangle cut-out pointing downwards.
(2) The sweeping arch of the grill on the pipe you bought,is on the bottom half of the chamber,where as on your bike(and the picture below),it is on the top part of the chamber.

....and we know it's a genuine Aprilia pipe,but i'm not sure it's a injected,late model type,like they said it was,because it also appears to have another difference,but i'm not sure on this one. The pipe you bought,looks at little shorter overall,when compared to the one on your bike,(the lumps seem closer together).
Not that all this matters since your going to carve it up,it's just that it might not be the exact model pipe that they claimed it to be,and thats not right,because if infact one wanted to buy this pipe as a direct replacement for there original,then they would not be getting what they paid for.

Perhaps someone can take a side on,close-up picture of there stock 07 pipe,so we can compare a side by side picture.
Comparing serial numbers on the pipes would be interesting also.

benzina
03-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Another point of interest i notice regarding Aprilia stock exhausts....I have a 2007 Aprilia SR50 Factory Brochure,with large side profile photos of the bike in all its different colours,and all are Piaggio engined,except for 1 which is Morini,and when i compare the exhausts,(Piaggio vs Morini)although they appear to be the same,if you look very carefully,their is in fact a slight difference between the two. This is also backed up by the fact that Easyparts,lists the two exhausts separately for each engine,with also a sizable difference in price:
Morini...213 Euro
Piaggio...280 Euro.

clsmooth
03-22-2008, 04:14 AM
Wow! I appreciate your concern, so I did a bit of homework/digging.

I washed my vehicles today, and then compare the exhaust by holding it up next to mine... I couldn't tell any noticeable difference.

So I called my dealer and they told me they brought in an extra pipe from head office in Toronto for vinylengraver for testing on his bike when he had his issues.

They assured me it can only be a DiTech exhaust as only DiTech's are available in Canada. The carb version isn't (and never was?) even imported here. Plus the DiTech's that are imported to North America as a whole are the Morini engines. The grill was up-side-down cause apparently like most things, the unit showed up unassembled and the grill was just 'slapped on' for testing purposes

How it might be different... my hats off to you! You have better eyes then me. The one loop-hole that might be an unknown is my local dealer doesn't quite know the origin of how head office ended up with this extra pipe, where it came from nor what bike it came off of. They're not even sure if it's used or not, but that's what head office sent for vinylengraver's 07 DiTech so... *shrug*

Dragster pilota
03-22-2008, 04:21 AM
benzina in da house:
Perhaps someone can take a side on,close-up picture of there stock 07 pipe,so we can compare a side by side picture.

Since we got snow the other day and most of out 2008 bikes & mopeds have arrived the shop is packed wall to wall and I can not pull a Factory out and shoot a picture but I can confirm that the 07 (I have one left) and the 08's all (Factory with Piaggio motor) have the shield mounted just like in your picture above.....

DP says: If I remember right the carb version has plastic shield & injction has metall, some chrome some painted....

clsmooth
03-22-2008, 04:29 AM
If I remember right the carb version has plastic shield & injction has metall, some chrome some painted....
Aahh, the grill I took off is definately metal...

NeoGeniX
03-22-2008, 05:34 AM
What a waste of time. Throw out that heavy ugly pos and slap on a gianelli or leovince...

benzina
03-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Aprilia Morini Exhaust vs Aprilia Piaggio Exhaust side by side photo comparison.
The black SR is a Morini engine version,and the white SR is the Piaggio engine version.
Note the background when looking through the S-bend of the two pipes. The Morini's has more daylight,suggesting different dimension.There also appears to be a more concave arch at the beginning of the Morini's cone shape chamber,where as the Piaggio's appears convex in form, and more harmonious with the continuous arch of the reverse cone chamber.
Their are ever so slight differences when playing 'spot the difference',and it's another great example of Aprilia going to extra lengths in cost & engineering, in order to achieve the best outcome for both engine applications,no matter how small the difference.

clsmooth
03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
OK, I see what you mean. I wonder if not so much performance but emissions and/or noise?

benzina
03-23-2008, 03:00 AM
Yeah,i'd say they probably would have considered all those points,and thats impressive.

clsmooth
03-23-2008, 02:43 PM
So I started choppin' last night... and this is gonna be a bit of work. Good thing I'm not in a rush or need a pipe, cause this is going to be a mess before I'm done. Not hard, just annoying cause Aprilia made the exhaust so damn well.

Listening to my friend's advice, I cust a window out the back of the muffler, on the wheel side.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3220002-1.jpg

I had to drill a few spot welds out, but I eventually pried the window out to reveal the mess within.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3220003.jpg

There's a layer of insulation, then a layer of what looks like really strong window screen, and then a perferated lining holding it up against the inside of the casing.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3220004.jpg

My tools at hand were a chopsaw and an angle grinder, so I got in there as much as I could.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3220005.jpg

And ended up with a mess.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P3220006.jpg

I didn't finish hollowing it out last night. I'm thinking air grinder for next time... I think we have one somewhere. But basically, it looks like this on the inside.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/colourexhaust.jpg
Green = walls
Red = cone
Blue = tube
Pink = weld spots

The biggest pain are those damn walls holding everything up inside. I drilled out the spot welds on the outside, but they're tightly packed in there. If and when I'm able to get those out, everything else should just come out. The 2 blue tubes do not line up in any way; they are offset from each other.

The rear bent tube wasn't welded at its tail end. It was pressed in there, but it worked loose with some wigling, so I'm assuming the from of the cone isn't welded into place either. The front of the bent tube was just tacked onto the back of the cone. The walls just seem to be holding everything in place.

The concensus at the shop was all those guts are for noise purposes. We called it an early night last night. I'll pick it up again next weekend maybe. I should've listened to myself and chop the sucker in half, and just pull out the guts from each cone I'd have... I have a feeling I'll end up distorying everything just getting the walls out.

Ciudale
03-23-2008, 03:22 PM
Nice work, pretty interesting...

benzina
03-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Love your work clsmooth,thats very interesting revealing the engineering and design thought inside an Aprilia pipe. They certainly are solid,and built to last.
Couple of questions;
(1)Is their a chance you can put up the same diagram you displayed,but also include arrows showing the flow path of the gasses?
(2)Can you see where the catalytic converter might be,if it indeed has one?
(3)Do aftermarket performance exhausts,have any walls and pipes inside? I've always thought they would'nt have any,for the reverse cone pulse effect to work properly,and they are always louder.

Keep up the good work clsmooth,it's much appreciated.

jacque372
03-23-2008, 07:47 PM
i just took my stock exhaust off i can't believe how heavy it is. i have had my bike about a month and it is rusting pretty bad. af1 has the arrow pipe for $80 that i just put on but this is a good project. my stock exhaust i'm going to have ceramic coated and keep it for a spare. keep us up to date on the progress

clsmooth
03-23-2008, 10:51 PM
(1)Is their a chance you can put up the same diagram you displayed,but also include arrows showing the flow path of the gasses?
(2)Can you see where the catalytic converter might be,if it indeed has one?
(3)Do aftermarket performance exhausts,have any walls and pipes inside? I've always thought they would'nt have any,for the reverse cone pulse effect to work properly,and they are always louder.
1. I have an idea of where the exhaust flow goes, but I'm not gonna bother with the directions; I'm not sure how much of it goes where.
2. None that I can see
3. No idea, never opened up an aftermarket exhaust, just the pix of the guy who tubbed out his Leo Vinci.

i just took my stock exhaust off i can't believe how heavy it is.
Ya, not the lightest thing, filled with a lot of crap.

On a side note, my friend's got a 'pencil drill'. Stronger and faster then a Dremel, but takes regular Dremel bits. I just have to get a strong, metal eating bit.

Vikter
03-28-2008, 07:03 PM
See here;
http://www.scooterinvasion.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39

seefman
03-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I agree, the standard exhaust weighs a ton, but this cuts both ways because it is built really tough. I have a Leo Vince TT and the performance from that is much better than the standard.........

Vikter
03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
I know where to get a new one for $100. is that a good deal?

clsmooth
05-02-2008, 12:17 AM
I found and picked up a pair of Dremel bits I need to continue tubbing out the muffler. I even picked up some high heat paint in anticipation. I should be working on it some more this weekend.

clsmooth
05-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Update for those interested, I finally dug out the rear "wall". All that's left is the front, larger cone, but I think the damn thing curves up a bit into the header portion of the pipe. Not too sure yet how I'm going to get that out...Took forever, this thing's made too bloody well...

The big cone is barely wiggling, but my night was cut short cause I actually managed to break the upper jaw off my Craftsman vice grips :confused:

clsmooth
05-11-2008, 01:49 AM
It took a few hours each night, but I finally got the walls outta the damn thing. They were the hardest part. They're both pressed and welded in, and very well at that. They're also about twice the thickness of anything else in there and the welds make it about 4 times as thick. I only got them out by violently beating the living crap outta them with a hammer til they finally bent enough to where the press-fit finally gave in.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P5100002.jpg

And after spending most of my Saturday, I got as much of that big, front cone out as possible.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P5100003.jpg

I wasn't able to wiggle the front cone out like I did the rear. It's only pressed in like the rear was, but the thing curves up a bit into the header part. I couldn't think of a way to get it out without destroying the whole thing, plus, it was getting to become too much work for what it's worth. It didn't want to come out whatsover, so I got in there with the Dremel as much as possible and made it level. It's about halfway from where it starts to where I cut the window. I'm not too concerned, it's not like it wasn't meant to be in there, and I know this thing won't be perfect.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P5100006.jpg

But it did weigh in at 9 lbs without guts and I should have it welded up tomorrow.

THE MAX
05-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Could you make a pic (inside) how it looks now at the incoming (engine side) and outgoing (rear end)

-The compleet bleu and red is out now ?

Donppa
05-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Whoa. I though it would be just like performance pipes: EMPTY expansion chamber, but the silencer would be restrictive and silent. I think the stock pipe could make a good one if you roll all that shit off it.

Is the silencer a "straight through" or is is a mess like the expansion chamber too?

How about welding a performance silencer to the end of it?

clsmooth
05-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Could you make a pic (inside) how it looks now at the incoming (engine side) and outgoing (rear end)

-The compleet bleu and red is out now ?

I've already welded the pipe back up last night :P (sorry, forgot my camera). All that's left is to fill the holes where I drilled out the spot welds. The front and back ends of the pipe look the same as in the centre, they just cone to a point on each end. The exhaust was made very well; from the inside, couldn't even see any of the welds on the outside

Everything's out except for a bit of the 'red' pipe/cone. It doesn't go straight and stop, it curves up and into more of the front of the pipe. No way that's coming out. There's about... 1.5" of cone still sticking out? Ground as much as I could out and then made the cone flat again.

clsmooth
05-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Is the silencer a "straight through" or is is a mess like the expansion chamber too?

How about welding a performance silencer to the end of it?
The silencer's straight through but packed like any other silencer. I decided not to try and empty that out, cause then there'd just be a chamber that exhaust gases would tumble around it. Leaving packed keeps it 'straight through'. That, and it might help prevent the muffler from being obscenely loud haha

I don't want to weld a performance brand one on cause I think it'd be too long for the rest of the pipe, and from my experience with Tecnigas ones, they never stop leaking anyway!

clsmooth
06-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I finally had time last weekend to finish up the pipe. I taught myself how to weld on this project, so I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time hehe

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P6010019.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P6010017.jpg

The back side's not as pretty, but didn't have to be. I would've been at it forever anwyays. So some high heat, flat black will cover up my imperfections!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P6010012.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P6010028.jpg

I like how the exhaust looks 'shaved'

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P6030003.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/clsmooth2/P6030005.jpg

I'll be trying this out tomorrow after work, should be dry. Realistic case scenario: it'd be nice if it ran at least the same as now, but eliminate the engine-cutting-out issue. Best case scenario: performs almost or equal to a performance pipe (doubtful) Worse case scenario: bike doesn't idle or run right. I'm hoping this will at least get rid of the cutting out and tide me over til my real pipe shows up.

benzina
06-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Looks pretty solid clsmooth,good work & good luck,lets hope she runs sweet.

clsmooth
06-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Just put the pipe on, but haven't gone for a ride yet. I gotta say, that 1 nut at the flange/cylinder was a tight squeeze to get too. I don't think I've even worked on a scoot where it was that difficult to take the exhaust off.

The original muffler came off fairly easily, but putting the hollow one one was very tight, especially at the engine/tire bracket. I had to turn each bolt a little bit so that it would gradually go back on and stay lined up. I wonder if the heat from welding had slightly warped anything...

Anyway, hollow exhaust on, it started up and idled perfectly as usual. Waited for it to warm up and rev it up on the stand. Seem to rev up normally and the wheel would spin.

I thought it revved up a bit slowly while on the stand, but it might have been just me cause i quickly went up and down the alley out back and she rode just great! Got up to 60 km/h in the alley... I don't recall if I was able to do that before or not.

As far as sound... if the exhaust had a nose, it now sounds pinched. Same tone, but more nasil -sound, like it's been hanging out with Fran Dresher a bit too long.

But I'm hungry and want some real food right now, I'll go for a ride later.

clsmooth
06-05-2008, 02:59 AM
The ride went really well! The bike makes a different tone when there's actually load on it. Sounds a bit more froggy and deeper, I like it. It is louder too, which I guess is a good thing, but I didn't notice myself getting annoyed at it.

I was out for about 1.5 hours and she rode very smooth. As far as low revving on the stand, I wasn't imagining things. Slight low end was lost, but only below 10 kmh. I'm hardly between 0 and 10 anyway, and it actually makes for a less loaded engagement of the clutch. Mid range has gained a bit of pep, but I couldn't tell if top speed has increased cause there was too much traffic, but she cruises around 9000 rpm now and felt like she still wanted to go some more once usual top speed was achieved.

The engine-cutting-out problem is still there, but it only occurred while going over a major bridge? :WTF: Those types of bridges where you climb up and roll back down, and are a good sereval hundred meters above the water. It's like the change in air wasn't compensated for or not quickly enough. Back on land it was find again.

I can actually hear the plug's spark being blown out by the detonation now. Sounds like a plastic grocery bag being snapped quickly. Oh well, at least it'll tide me over til the real exhaust arrives.

Was it worth it? I'm on the fence. With the end result, I would say yes, but with the work during, I'd say no. I think I have the equivalent of those replacement type mufflers that claim they look stock but don't have the restrictions. This was cheaper dollar-wise, but cost quite a bit more in time.

tuner2000i
06-11-2008, 06:48 AM
thanks for the last post.. i wanted to do the same thing with my pipe .. but i was waiting for your answer because i diden't wanted to screw my pipe.i don't know if any of you tryed to ride their bike without a pipe.. beside that it's louder.. it does not have power at all ( the max speed is 50 kph), so i couldn't risk to cut the pipe.. because i have only one, but now, with the first ocasion i will cut it and remove all those nasty stuff:gunner: , i will post pictures after that.. but it may hapen in 1-2 months because i will go in vacation to grece in 2 weeks :cheers:

clsmooth
06-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Today was the first day of reasonalby dry whether since I swapped pipes. Went to work and back and NOT ONE detonation to AND from work, even over the bridges. I got to work in the colder morning and got home in the (slightly) warmer afternoon a few mintues sooner cause the bike's holding its speed without cutting out and a slightly higher speed at that. Still can't tell if any top speed's been gained, every day's been a significantly different temp. RPM's get up to about 9000 now, and unless my mind's playing tricks on me again, it appears there's a 1 or 2 km/h gain. With enough of a stretch in front of me, it'll get up to and hold a consistant and true 80 - 82 kmh

i don't know if any of you tryed to ride their bike without a pipe.. beside that it's louder..
No exhaust will burn out your cylinder. 2-strokes always need an exhaust of some kind.