PDA

View Full Version : RAM Mount Options For V1?

DrDesmosedici
03-16-2008, 04:16 PM
'Afternoon everyone!

Looking at options for mounting a Valentine 1 on my '04 Factory ... Any suggestions? I was thinking about using the pinch bolt on the left clip on for a ball mounting point ... Anyone else use this setup?

Thanks!

-Adam

backys
03-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Valentine 1 ??????????????

Ape Man 2007
03-17-2008, 08:15 AM

It's a radar detector ( me think).

:cheers:

Shibby!
03-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Do they have a 1/4" mount screw? Like on cameras?

If so there is an option for that.

jetfever
03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I use a "tank bag". I place my V1 in the map pocket on top. I slip the V1 into an old VCR cardboard box, this helps take up extra space in the pocket. I power the unit from the small light above the headlight. ('04 Tuono, Ken Zeller idea from Evoluzione, responded to me via this forum). This gives a "key on" power source.

I cut up a $5.00 Radio shack speaker, place 1 speaker in my helmet. The wire is cumbersome, I got used to it. WORTH THE HASSEL!!!! :worship:

When parking, I often slip the V1 into the main bag, out of sight of prying eyes. You could also hide V1 on the rare chance you were stopped, B4 the Man arrived.

I have seen some nice bar mounts from RAM, and the Harley guys have some very nice mounts, do a google search.

jetfever
03-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Here is a link to 1 of the best protection from speeding tickets:

http://www.valentine1.com/

DrDesmosedici
03-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Well, I've got a RAM mount ball on my VFR, and I'd like to do the same on the factory... There are two (basically) ways to mount it:

1.) On a bolt
2.) Self-expanding ball mount through the steering stem

Either way will give me a 1" ball that I can use w/ the RAM Mount. I'll keep you posted!

Also - I'm looking at these: www.legalspeeding.com for warnings :burnout:

-Adam

locknload
03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
'Afternoon everyone!

Looking at options for mounting a Valentine 1 on my '04 Factory ... Any suggestions? I was thinking about using the pinch bolt on the left clip on for a ball mounting point ... Anyone else use this setup?

Thanks!

-Adam

What about this

DrDesmosedici
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
What about this

Awesome! Where's that from?

jetfever
03-17-2008, 05:49 PM
:worship: Beautiful! What he said!

That reminds me of some of the mounts the Harley guys are using.

SupFly
03-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Here is a link to 1 of the best protection from speeding tickets:

http://www.valentine1.com/

At $400 bucks I have made my money back in spades w. Valentine...in both car AND BIKE! they rock! I had a passport 5400 or something like that before, but I love V-1's directional arrows so you know where your bogey is com'n from! :D

I think this is what you guys are looking for http://estore.websitepros.com/817592/-strse-Aprilia/Categories.bok

they have a few different types. I have the euro mount...fits very nice.

Cheers

DeBenGuzzi
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
I've done some police ride alongs and with todays lazer guns your hosed plain and simple youre hosed if they spot you, this would work well against the open scan radar they use sometimes while sitting on the side of the road but that lazer gun is sick you could tag a bird with that thing and they only pull the trigger to those that appear to be speeding, hey a little insurance is alright but it won't help too much in my neck of the woods what works better in my metro area is knowing where they're out to get you and where you're probably alright I guess add one of those scanners and you just increase your odds but at $400 for the thing thats 3 or 4 tickets I'd rather shake the dice and just watch where and how I ride.

DrDesmosedici
03-17-2008, 07:16 PM
I've done some police ride alongs and with todays lazer guns your hosed plain and simple youre hosed if they spot you, this would work well against the open scan radar they use sometimes while sitting on the side of the road but that lazer gun is sick you could tag a bird with that thing and they only pull the trigger to those that appear to be speeding, hey a little insurance is alright but it won't help too much in my neck of the woods what works better in my metro area is knowing where they're out to get you and where you're probably alright I guess add one of those scanners and you just increase your odds but at $400 for the thing thats 3 or 4 tickets I'd rather shake the dice and just watch where and how I ride.

True, but 99.9% of my "spirited" riding is on #'d routes and backroads where they just use open scan K or occasionally X-band. I avoid the highway like the plague, and if there's ever a laser trap on the backroads that I frequent I've got bigger things to worry about. :)

-Adam

jetfever
03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
What he said. V1 flat works. It has saved me too many times to count. There are more Lazer traps out there than ever, but many police still use radar, and it is really fun using it, finding all the traps. It is truly incredible how difficult it is to see a black and white (Car or Cycle) in the shade on the side of the road.

It is kind of like AWACS, search out the traps!

SupFly
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM

nobody's gonna beat instant on. maybe it's just your a creature of habit (knowing where everyone's at), but there is plenty of insurance in my mind when I can hear who's in the vacinity....the 3 or 4 times Mr. V-1 goes off is just the return on your investment. the rest is gravy. a write off...time & again for me.

It has been the gift that has kept on giving for a long time now.......I see cop bikes riding down the road. Never knew they were running radar...:)

I'm uneasy without in the car on. It is NOT a guarantee, but I've heard the guys with the guns train on me...

It's just a little extra for what you might not be seeing....I'd buy another lickity-split if mine got swiped or busted 2 seconds flat!:)

bike...car - all day long!:D

DrDesmosedici
03-17-2008, 09:49 PM
What he said. V1 flat works. It has saved me too many times to count. There are more Lazer traps out there than ever, but many police still use radar, and it is really fun using it, finding all the traps. It is truly incredible how difficult it is to see a black and white (Car or Cycle) in the shade on the side of the road.

It is kind of like AWACS, search out the traps!

+1 - the only time I've *ever* gotten nicked on my bike was when I got separated from the rest of my group during some passes. They all got the heads up because the lead rider had radar, the other 3 of us went headlong into a speed trap that they avoided ... Considering what I paid for my V1 ($225 on eBay) it's worth its weight in gold. I can't say enough about how well built it is, or how professional they were to deal with about ordering accessories. Top notch.

-Adam

DeBenGuzzi
03-18-2008, 12:48 AM
youre right about the scan on the back roads they really don't use lazer its the city cops that use lazer and if I get more adventerous with back country this looks like yet another toy I need to own, especially since I have a Class A commercial lisence and really can't afford a big ol ticket.

jetfever
03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Quote: "nobody's gonna beat instant on."

Not Necessarily:

Almost all the police in my area are using "instant on" radar gun.

If I am the ONLY traffic in the area, I MIGHT get caught:

1. The Radar beam bounces around for a few moments, and I ALMOST always get a weak warning, due to the cop using the radar on other traffic.

2. The instant on radar guns LEAK! Everyone who uses a detector has seen this happen.

3. Brake at the first moment, RADAR does not "Lock on", you might get away. (Laser takes less time).

Quote: "$400 for the thing thats 3 or 4 tickets I'd rather shake the dice and just watch where and how I ride."

I try to watch how I ride, but EVERYONE is driving 10 mph or so over the limit where I live, I let others get the ticket!!!

My good driver insurance will go up $300.00 per year for 3 years for 1 speeding ticket. V1 IS worth it!

DeBenGuzzi
03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Quote: "nobody's gonna beat instant on."

Not Necessarily:

Almost all the police in my area are using "instant on" radar gun.

If I am the ONLY traffic in the area, I MIGHT get caught:

1. The Radar beam bounces around for a few moments, and I ALMOST always get a weak warning, due to the cop using the radar on other traffic.

2. The instant on radar guns LEAK! Everyone who uses a detector has seen this happen.

3. Brake at the first moment, RADAR does not "Lock on", you might get away. (Laser takes less time).

Quote: "$400 for the thing thats 3 or 4 tickets I'd rather shake the dice and just watch where and how I ride."

I try to watch how I ride, but EVERYONE is driving 10 mph or so over the limit where I live, I let others get the ticket!!!

My good driver insurance will go up $300.00 per year for 3 years for 1 speeding ticket. V1 IS worth it!
I've used the Lazer gun, cop tossed it in my lap and said have fun, oh it takes ABOUT half a second to maybe a full second to lock can you go from 90-55mph in 1 second?
no argument on the radar, its easy to pickup. and damnit why does everything have to cost $400, acculigns 400, variobars 400, V1 priceless right? :happy:

Dissident
03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
The trick is to not go slow enough for them to lock the laser on you that easily ;)

My V1 has paid for itself repeatedly....