PDA

View Full Version : Can't find 5th freakin' gear

Hitman
11-21-2003, 11:08 PM
Need some advice/experience?? I have a new 04 Factory and have trouble shifting 4th to 5th (intermittently). Thought it was the after market rearsets (complete w/ shifter and linkage), so went back to stock and still happened. Spoke with the dealer and they thought I was "not shifting deliberately enough" but am sure this is not the case. Also suggested as the bike was new and not through the break-in that it may go away. Not so sure about that. I've only heard of one other Mille R owner who had trouble, but w/ 5th to 6th changes and they stated that they put a new tranny in at 18k milles. Anyone heard of or know of this problem?

fastbydrmike
11-21-2003, 11:25 PM
I sometimes have trouble from 1st to 2nd! I can pull up hard on the shift, but it doesn't shift. I thought it would be better after the 600 mile service but still seems to do it. I don't know what to tell you. I hope it will clear as I get more miles on it.

mike

Ricky J
11-22-2003, 03:26 AM
Sometimes that's a simple case of the shifter lever being too high, preventing a full shift motion.

stinky
11-22-2003, 11:39 AM
Strange. I don't have any problems finding any gear except neutral, and that's getting easier as the miles/shifts pile up.

RSV Racing
11-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Sometimes is your foot not going down all the way to release the current gear, thus not shifting to the next. :peace:

ukfactory
11-23-2003, 04:39 AM
I have had the same thing...false neutral while shifting into 5th or 6th. I am putting it down to still being in break in perios and not having spent much time in the upper gears...should get better with more time/miles/speed.

kzmille
11-29-2003, 10:11 AM
If the gearbox is in good shape, false neutrals are usually caused by incomplete shift lever actuation. Its easy to develop the habit of stabbing at the lever while the clutch is pulled, then releasing the clutch. This leads to incomplete shifts. Instead, after pulling the clutch, move the gear lever and maintain light pressure until the clutch is fully released. This applies to upshift and downshift. If you practice and use this technique you will never have a false neutral. Each time you have a false neutral you do a little damage to the gear dogs which leads to more frequent missed shifts.
On finding neutral; try putting it in neutral just before you come to a complete stop. Both of these techniques work on any brand of motorcycle.

Hitman
11-30-2003, 12:54 PM
I appreciate all of your input. I put the rear sets back on and have played with the lever position, which seems to help a bit, but still happening intermittently. Hate for it to happen at the track.