PDA

View Full Version : Tuning for the FP Chip ....Stalling?

BigGlen
11-16-2003, 05:50 PM
I've installed the Factory chip. The bike now runs a lot stronger.

I reset the air bleed screws per current recommendations. Starting at 1 turn out and with a set of carb sticks monitoring vacume, I balanced out the T/B's at 3/4 out in front cyl and about 1/4 out at rear cyl.

(The original stock position was about 1 1/3 out front and 3/4 out rear cyl.)

I can now set idle at an appropriate rpm (1350 - 1450).

HOWEVER , if I set idle below 1500, the bike will stall when I shut off the throttle from cruising speed (med-high RPM) and pull in the clutch.

What gives?
:confused:

M747gm
11-16-2003, 06:34 PM
Almost the same setup, and my bike does this also.

Luigi
11-16-2003, 09:25 PM
While I don't have the FP chip in my Tuono, I wonder if it really matters whether or not the idle is 1250 +/- 100 RPM per the owners manual. If it's idling at 1500 RPM so what? It uses a little more gas and maybe runs slightly hotter at standstill. Certainly it will idle smoother at higher RPM.

If there's any magic here I'm missing I too would really like to be enlightened.

BigGlen
11-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Even at 1500 rpm!

When I shut the throttle from crusing speed and pull in the clutch, the rpm drops to almost nothing and barely recovers.
Not acceptable.

SO, I CALLED Evoluzione to talk to them about it.

They said to send the chip back for a new one. They want to send me one thats for a late model MILLE! Hmmm??

Jony2Stones
11-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BigGlen
Even at 1500 rpm!

When I shut the throttle from crusing speed and pull in the clutch, the rpm drops to almost nothing and barely recovers.
Not acceptable.

SO, I CALLED Evoluzione to talk to them about it.

They said to send the chip back for a new one. They want to send me one thats for a late model MILLE! Hmmm??

From what I've heard, the milie chips run richer than the Tuono ones....

Maybe this is why you'll be getting the milie chip????

BigGlen
11-17-2003, 03:42 PM
I decided to call Factory-Pro direct.

They said, "almost all the time, an idle problem has been traced to fuel presure being out of adjustment".

He recommends getting the EVO fuel Presure adjuster set-up.

I wish I had spoke to ken Zeller directly when I spoke to Evoluzione this morning. Maybe a call back is in order.

Factory Pro said, " you really shouldnt have to return the chip. The Tuono chip should work on a Tuono, period." "Unless its actually faulty and if it was, it wouldnt work good anywhere in the rev range."
:rolleyes:

VirtualBob
11-17-2003, 04:26 PM
I had a similar experience with the FP Tuono chip. Air bleed screws at 1 1/4 turns. Set Idle trim potts on ECU for best idle which was at about 12 o'clock. The engine would stall when I pulled in the clutch if revs were above 6K.

I had the CO checked (at idle) with the settings above at it was 9% backed off the idle trim to 9 o'clock and 4% CO. I am still not sure it is set up correctly. I wish I lived close to Ken or AF1

VirtualBob

'03 Red

BigGlen
11-22-2003, 10:16 PM
I received a call-back from Factory Pro. They said now that the Trim Pots are activated with the FP chip, I probably have to adjust them.

He said, first you adjust the air bleed screws on the throttle bodies in order to get the idle down low. Then with idle set below normal, adjust the trim pots to smooth and improve idle.

It only took a 1/8 turn counterclockwise on the trim pots to find a sweet spot by ear. (not easy)
Now the bike idles well and doesnt stall when I come off the throttle.

When I get around to it, I will have a shop check the trim pots using a CO gas analyzer. (thats the scientific fool proof way)

:D
Glen

VirtualBob
11-23-2003, 12:00 PM
BG

Yeah the trim potts are one turn so finding the sweet spot by ear is tricky, at least with my ears. I think getting the CO readings is a good confirmation and the best for dialing it in.

Let us know where the potts ended up after the CO test

Thnx

VB

Algomas
11-24-2003, 12:51 AM
After installing the FP chip my bike ran very rich at certain RPMs and could not be corrected by tuning the CO pots. It is now being sorted out with the new Power Commander. I will post results next week, hopefully.

BigGlen
11-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Algomas
After installing the FP chip my bike ran very rich at certain RPMs and could not be corrected by tuning the CO pots. It is now being sorted out with the new Power Commander. I will post results next week, hopefully.

hmmmmm. let us know.
thanks.

Nube
11-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Do you have someone in Arizona that can help you tune it? Or are you going to do it all yourself? Seeing the problems with chips is making me reconsider it.

VirtualBob
11-24-2003, 08:43 AM
Algomas

What exhaust system are you running and have you installed the Evo to Rene intake?

I spoke with Ken Zeller after I installed the 80 mm Tig single full system with Tig chip. Map one in the tig chip was terrible. Very bad stumble 3.5k to 5K. Map two was better but Ken said it was likely to lean with the Evo airbox mod I aslo installed. So I installed the Tuono FP chip.

Inquiring minds want to know

VB

Algomas
11-24-2003, 08:28 PM
My set-up so far: Akro slip-on, Evo race airbox, 00 snorkle and FP chip. Mark Ledesma at North Valley Honda (Phoenix) is doing the PC tuning for me. I will know whats up next week and post an update.

clarkie49
11-25-2003, 07:28 AM
Mark Ledesma knows his shit when it comes to tuning big v-twins, their dyno is an MJP load control dyno so it will be able to fix it all for you.

we are getting the same dyno by the looks of things.

oh yeah, when you see him tell him Aaron said hi.

VirtualBob
11-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Clarkie

Do you know any good Aprilia/Big twin tuners in the Midwest (Northern IL-Chicago-Wisconsin area) that you would recommend?

Any contacts at Corse Superbikes in Saukville, WI

Thnx

VB

clarkie49
11-25-2003, 08:41 AM
i know the owners at corse superbikes and a couple of their staff but mark sutton the ducati guy has left.

i know they were getting dyno but i have no idea who is working for them now.

i like them a lot but maybe someone else on the forum has some input.

I know the guys at MCC have a very good reputation but i dont know if they have a dyno.

are you just looking to get your bike tuned or worked on?

VirtualBob
11-25-2003, 09:00 AM
Clarkie

I am looking for a good tuner. Someone who can dial in the FI .

VB

BigGlen
11-25-2003, 01:36 PM
How are ya?
I will probably put on the electric liner and gloves and visit your shop after you get your dyno. (I'm in Connecticut)
I will be interested to see if my Tuono could be tuned a little better than what I've accomplished so far.
Does Sea Coast stock PowerComanders for my bike? (Just in case we need it):D

Glen

clarkie49
11-26-2003, 07:33 AM
hey glen,

that would be cool to see ya.

year we stock powercommanders, we will also have a lounge area and a big old urn full of coffee, satelite tv etc.

cheers

BigGlen
11-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by clarkie49
hey glen,

year we stock powercommanders, we will also have a lounge area and a big old urn full of coffee, satelite tv etc.

cheers

Nice!:p:

M747gm
12-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Any word on how the PCIII worked out? Just interested. I've got the slip-on, FP chip and a HUGE hole around 5K.

Algomas
12-04-2003, 03:31 AM
I pick up my bike tomorrow from North Valley Honda. I spoke with Mark Ledesma today and he says the bike with PC111 is putting out 126hp! Holy shit!! More info to come.....

clarkie49
12-04-2003, 07:57 AM
thats my boy mark for ya :D

lots of shops have dynos, not very shop knows how to use their dyno let alone tune a big twin on it.

rock on!

M747gm
12-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Let us know how it runs....Clarkie, do you know any good Aprilia tuners in Florida???

Algomas
12-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Well, going from 110hp to 126 makes a considerable difference!:banana: Initial impressions after only a brief test ride show much stronger throttle response. I can loft the front a lot easier than before and overall the power delivery seems smoother. I highly recommend the PC.

VirtualBob
12-06-2003, 10:07 AM
Algomas

QUOTE]Well, going from 110hp to 126......[/QUOTE]

Wow... outstanding

Could you please post the dyno curves? I would like to see them. Especially the shape of the torgue curve.

Also, have you installed the Evo fuel pressure regulartor?

Thnx in advance

VirtualBob