PDA

View Full Version : Mana Motor

Beau1K
12-09-2007, 11:10 PM
So...this thing is an 850 eh?

A little birdie told me that you can sleve this thing to 1200cc.

Talk amongst yourselves :D

Micah / AF1 Racing
12-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Little Birdie was thinking of the Shiver I believe. That would require both bore and stroke changes but 1200cc is definitely possible on the Shiver Motor.

freebird
12-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Little Birdie was thinking of the Shiver I believe. That would require both bore and stroke changes but 1200cc is definitely possible on the Shiver Motor.

Why did they build the Mana 850 engine? The Shiver is a 750 with 95hp. Why not bolt the ECVT to the 750 engine? If the ECVT can only handle 65-hp then why not make a smaller lighter Twin 400 or Twin 500 engine with 65-hp?

Micah / AF1 Racing
12-10-2007, 10:08 PM
For a CVT tranny it would be ideal to have bad ass low end and midrange with declining torque up top in the rev range. The Mana engine no doubt can be bored to a larger displacement but 1200cc seems to be on the far fetched end of the spectrum. The Mana engine was designed for and in use a heavy duty maxi scooter. The Mana is an offshoot of that project in many ways. Worry not, more power is the easiest thing to do with an engine. Lets hope they just make it robust and reliable to start with.

Beau1K
12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
So the 750 is the piaggio motor that is the same block that they just sleve differently to make 3 motors?

freebird
12-11-2007, 02:30 PM
So the 750 is the piaggio motor that is the same block that they just sleve differently to make 3 motors?

The 750 and 1200 are the same basic motor. The 850 is a different engine and was designed for use with the ECVT transmission (Gilera GP800 scooter and Aprilia 850 Mana motorcycle).

Micah / AF1 Racing
12-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Yes, what freebird said. The crankcase on the Mana and the Shiver are totally different as one is meant to carry a 6 speed conventional box inside it and the other is not.

The Mana may have more displacement growth potential than I think but we will have to wait to see one in bits before I can really say.

That Man
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
The limiting factor with increasing the power and/or capacity of the Mana engine is likely to be the ECVT transmission. Up the power and the tranny may not be sturdy enough to cope leading to premature wear and failures.

The other thing to bear in mind is that we are still waiting for a manufacturer to come up with a proper intelligent ECVT that actually takes into account throttle opening, speed and engine revs to automatically arrive at an appropriate drive ratio, rather than the "dumb" centrifugal system used on almost all scooters or the pre-mapped option offered on the ECVT systems we've seen so far. If you alter the engine's performance characteristics you will almost certainly need to change the transmission also to make best use of the power you've got.

With the Mana, this will probably require some combination of mechanical changes together with a re-mapping of the ECVT control systems. However, I doubt this would be easy (or, indeed, possible), as I don't believe that there are any options available for the Suzuki Burgman 650 which is the only other ECVT bike we've seen so far.

Beau1K
12-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Errrr...uhhh...ya...I meant Shiver :D

DonFanatico
01-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Looks like a new trend emerging.

Honda have released the DN-01 for this year.

dougan
02-07-2008, 11:33 PM
The other thing to bear in mind is that we are still waiting for a manufacturer to come up with a proper intelligent ECVT that actually takes into account throttle opening, speed and engine revs to automatically arrive at an appropriate drive ratio, rather than the "dumb" centrifugal system used on almost all scooters or the pre-mapped option offered on the ECVT systems we've seen so far. If you alter the engine's performance characteristics you will almost certainly need to change the transmission also to make best use of the power you've got.

This whole paragraph rubs me the wrong way... and sends obvious signals that the author has not ridden the MANA to understand the capabilities of the "pre-mapped" ECVT.

Remapping the transmission shouldn't be any more difficult than remapping EFI systems.

In "Sport Mode" the mapping senses throttle positioning and the Mana allows one to open the throttle and accelerate through the redline of each gear. Its a very intelligent system, as far as I can tell.

The Dr.Jon
02-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Rode one yesterday:http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1714990#post1714990

jrflanne
02-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Well, this is going to be waaay off topic but... I grew up on a dairy farm and the artificial breeder rode one of those old Honda 750 automatics with a great big stainless steel sperm tank strapped on the back. That guy never washed the bike and I doubt if he ever did any sort of maintainence on it. That thing had about 90,000 miles on it and was still counting. Cheap bastard rode the bike (in MI) because he didn't want to pay for gas. It was an ugly rat, but it never broke. I guess you could call it the Bullgizz Scooter.