PDA

View Full Version : Tuono Factory rider wants light hooligan, but these threads don't look promising.....

desmo-kid
11-26-2007, 08:28 AM
A dealer has me excited about one of these hot little bikes, so I've been reading threads here on the forum. I have to say, I am not encouraged. It seems some of these defects never should have gotten so far as to be in production models.

Is there good reason to believe the 08's will be substantially better?

I love my Tuono, but reading here makes me think about buying a KTM for my supermoto-type bike, does anyone have experience with both?

Pimmie
11-26-2007, 08:49 AM
I have, I have a Tuono '03 and an SXV '06.

The troubles with the SXV are relatively easily solved because so much research has gone into them on this site. A lot of very knowledgeable folk here! :worship:

I haven't heard much about the 08 yet only that opinions differ on the bodywork..

150% fun bike if you can live with it being a bit niggly..

ckevg
11-26-2007, 08:50 AM
A dealer has me excited about one of these hot little bikes, so I've been reading threads here on the forum. I have to say, I am not encouraged. It seems some of these defects never should have gotten so far as to be in production models.

Is there good reason to believe the 08's will be substantially better?

I love my Tuono, but reading here makes me think about buying a KTM for my supermoto-type bike, does anyone have experience with both?

I have both and have no complaints about reliability with either.:bump:

Olof Eriksson
11-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Buy a 450 and use it in a serious and normal manner and you're gonna put a lot of miles on it without problems. :cheers:

Its not like aprilia is ignoring the problems. Newer bikes are better!

dougan
11-26-2007, 11:30 AM
2000+ mixed (hard/soft) miles.... lots of oil changes.... not a single problem.

Bike built in May. Purchased in beginning of July.

Major problems seem to be overrepresented by the forum (watch my words)... and should be easily avoidable with proper mantainance.

desmo-kid
11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. My interest is that I just got back into dirt riding, and I've been impressed at how much I like the concept of a very light bike. I'm looking for a very light road bike for blasting back roads, all pavement. I can't find a weight on the SXV, but I know it's light.

I'm also thinking of the Duke. For pure cornering feel, does anyone have an opinion of the SCV compared to Duke? I see you Duke, Dougan, what do you think?

Thanks!

desmo-kid
11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
......I meant SXV.........

jd98hawg
11-26-2007, 05:24 PM
275lbs.

Olof Eriksson
11-26-2007, 05:30 PM
The duke is tired (low on power) and heavy compared to the SXV, its not a very "race-y" chassie either. I think you will appriciate the way the power comes on from the SXV much more too. The only thing the duke does better is riding on the freeway.

Buy a SXV 450, get a K&N filter and a silmoto exhaust and you wont be disapointed :cheers: Make them install the Silmoto mapping even if you havent got the exhaust yet, it will run fine with the stock exhaust and you'll save a couple of bucks when you're changing exhaust.

duc slayer
11-26-2007, 05:46 PM
04 Factory and an 07 SXV (usa 07) and no problems with either. In my opinion the majority of the problems were on the early bikes and only (mainly) in the US.

but my Factory is 99% sold, I'd much rather ride the SXV and honestly the RSV feels like a dog when I ride it now, the SXV has spoiled me

desmo-kid
11-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks again for more replies, wow, the SXV makes the Factory feel like a dog? That must be a wild machine.

Is 275 a realistic weight? That has me interested.......

I guess I'll plan on buying one.

CKEVG, how do you compare your Duke and SXV in the chassis department?

One thing I love about my Tuono, it neither wants to fall into a corner or stand up, I find it dead neutral. Something about dirt bike style handling that I want to avoid in my new street bike is the tendency for the bike to want the rider to lean less and for the bike to be leaned more than the rider. I'm fine with this with my dirt bike, but I want my lightweight street bike to handle more like a street bike.

Does it still seem that the SXV fits the bill?

duc slayer
11-26-2007, 06:31 PM
wow, the SXV makes the Factory feel like a dog?

I'm sure it's just the difference in power delivery and some what the power to weight ratio difference. I mean we all know the RSV would smoke it on anything other than a shooort twisty track but that's just the impression I get when I ride the SXV and then try and ride the Factory. It just feels boring until high second or third gear+ and by then your well over the speed limit

OZRS
11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Desmo kid - Don't be such a tight arse. If you can afford a factory Tuono, then you'll be able to afford a new SXV550 motor if it shits itself :kidding:

Jim Hubert
11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Is 275 a realistic weight?

Yes, without fuel.

I had my SXV 550 on bathroom scales the day I bought it. Can't find the exact numbers at the moment, but figured it would still be about 275 with fuel after I removed the lights, signals, mirrors, etc.

desmo-kid
11-26-2007, 09:55 PM
That weight is amazing. Thanks.

I hear what you are saying, Duc Slayer. It's the delivery that counts to me, not the actual speed. Some rigs are slower but feel faster, some just feel rip-snortin, that must be this bike.

OZRS, you cracked me up on that one. But you hae a point. We are all paying more than we need to if were just buying basic transportation. I just don't want a frustrating rig is all. If i knew the motor would be perfect for 10k miles then need a total rebuild, fine. What I can't take is constant problems. Sounds like that's not a problem though, so I'm probably moving forward.

Any other input of 450 vs: 550 please let me, everyone invited!

MickyC51
11-26-2007, 10:30 PM

I hear what you are saying, Duc Slayer. It's the delivery that counts to me, not the actual speed. Some rigs are slower but feel faster, some just feel rip-snortin, that must be this bike.

OZRS, you cracked me up on that one. But you hae a point. We are all paying more than we need to if were just buying basic transportation. I just don't want a frustrating rig is all. If i knew the motor would be perfect for 10k miles then need a total rebuild, fine. What I can't take is constant problems. Sounds like that's not a problem though, so I'm probably moving forward.

I've said this before but the SXV is the funnest bike I've ever ridden. I think you hit it with what you said "some rigs are slower but feel faster". On the SXV I always feel like I'm whipping it. But when I do my Sunday morning ride with my buds on there R1s 1098s Aprilia 1000s the SXV is always there. I do confess on a few of the longer straightaways I am all out to keep up but in the twisties there is nothing better.
I do confess I've had a couple of probelms but they were handled by my dealer well and the other quirks I've worked out pretty good. (I'm crossing my fingers as I type) and I don't regret buying the 550 for a moment. Okay maybe for a few moments here and there but the bike is freaken awesome.
Can I repeat myself, the funnest bike I've ever owned.

MIcky Curry
Why are the pretty girls
always so high maintenance?

OZRS
11-26-2007, 10:59 PM

:cheers: In all seriousness, i've done about 8,500kms and only had minor problems - cams & buckets replaced under warrantee. I do not regret buying this thing at all. They are alot of fun and the best thing is when your stopped for gas and someone with a R1 or GSXR comes over and asks you a few questions and you tell them it has 55-60hp. They then tell you they have 180hp with flow commander and all the fruit. Then you put it past them in the twisties. And i'm not even what i would call a good rider. priceless!

As for weight, you can save another 5 pounds with the Silmoto Ti system. I wieghed the stock system and it was 4.82kg.

uberchicken
11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
AF1 weighed my SXV 550, with fluids, and it was 290

dougan
11-27-2007, 01:15 AM
The duke is tired (low on power) and heavy compared to the SXV, its not a very "race-y" chassie either. I think you will appriciate the way the power comes on from the SXV much more too. The only thing the duke does better is riding on the freeway.

This about sums it up. Two totally different machines..... The Duke give the appearance of owning/riding an SM.... but its much heavier... wider... less power. FC Carb, Sprocket, Y-pipe, Akras..... can briefly trick you into believing you are on an SM.

The SXV is a true SM.... perhaps a more honest bike than any other SM on the market. Its like riding a bolt of lightning.

Duke has it beat in stock suspension, comfort, and user friendliness.

Quick example..... My friend has never really ridden..... he came out here to Zurich and we went on a 10-day road trip through S. Swiss/N. Italy..... I told him I had the perfect beginner bike for him. He rode the Duke for 10 days... learned very quickly (thanks in part to an amazing teacher).... and had a great time. (I was on the Tuono).

On the 11th day we were back in Zurich.... We went on a little day trip through the Black Forest (Serious Twisties). I let him ride my SXV for a couple loops........... He said he didn't like it....... He said it was a little "Too much" for him.... He said he felt like he "Might Die" every time he touched the throttle.

Very different machines.

Pimmie
11-27-2007, 03:16 AM
This about sums it up. Two totally different machines..... The Duke give the appearance of owning/riding an SM.... but its much heavier... wider... less power. FC Carb, Sprocket, Y-pipe, Akras..... can briefly trick you into believing you are on an SM.

The SXV is a true SM.... perhaps a more honest bike than any other SM on the market. Its like riding a bolt of lightning.

Duke has it beat in stock suspension, comfort, and user friendliness.

Quick example..... My friend has never really ridden..... he came out here to Zurich and we went on a 10-day road trip through S. Swiss/N. Italy..... I told him I had the perfect beginner bike for him. He rode the Duke for 10 days... learned very quickly (thanks in part to an amazing teacher).... and had a great time. (I was on the Tuono).

On the 11th day we were back in Zurich.... We went on a little day trip through the Black Forest (Serious Twisties). I let him ride my SXV for a couple loops........... He said he didn't like it....... He said it was a little "Too much" for him.... He said he felt like he "Might Die" every time he touched the throttle.

Very different machines.

Was that when the Duke puked its guts?

dougan
11-27-2007, 04:42 AM
Was that when the Duke puked its guts?

genau....!

Gsnickets
11-27-2007, 05:26 AM
I've got my 550 in the shop for it's first service and oil pump seal warranty, it's also getting unrestricted(just hadn't got the ECU reflashed)... which is a scary thought because after removing the throttle stop, sinking the throttle bodies, and removing the exhaust restricters it already felt fast enough, it will be down right dangerous now. It's almost cliche' now, but this IS the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle.
I officially accomplished one of my life's goals; and that was to have a sexy italian mistress, that I love to ride, and most certainly could get me in a lot of trouble... her name is Aprilia.

ckevg
12-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks again for more replies, wow, the SXV makes the Factory feel like a dog? That must be a wild machine.

Is 275 a realistic weight? That has me interested.......

I guess I'll plan on buying one.

CKEVG, how do you compare your Duke and SXV in the chassis department?

One thing I love about my Tuono, it neither wants to fall into a corner or stand up, I find it dead neutral. Something about dirt bike style handling that I want to avoid in my new street bike is the tendency for the bike to want the rider to lean less and for the bike to be leaned more than the rider. I'm fine with this with my dirt bike, but I want my lightweight street bike to handle more like a street bike.

I don't own a Duke, a good friend does. I have a KTM 525 SMC/SMR. I do have street time on the Duke II and I'd pick the SXV hands down. Oh, and my buddy is selling his Duke II and joining me on the dark side.

Rich22
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
My 07 motor went tits, they gave me a new bike 08 spec and at 600 miles its perfect! best fun i ever had on 2 wheels.(550) :banana:

Jim Hubert
12-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Something about dirt bike style handling that I want to avoid in my new street bike is the tendency for the bike to want the rider to lean less and for the bike to be leaned more than the rider. I'm fine with this with my dirt bike, but I want my lightweight street bike to handle more like a street bike.

I think foot out or knee down is totally up to rider preference.

Perhaps the chassis settings could be optimized one way or the other, but I have ridden of number of single-cylinder dirt bikes (setup as supermotards) as I would a sport bike without any difficulties whatsoever.

waxxer
12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
My 07 motor went tits, they gave me a new bike 08 spec and at 600 miles its perfect! best fun i ever had on 2 wheels.(550) :banana:

My 07 has gone "tits up" twice. It is in the shop again for water in the oil. I hope I get good care from Aprilia. THe fact of the matter is (and I know it already has been stated time and again), you can do crazy stuff on this bike--especially in the tight twisties or on the SM track. The bike is a total riot. I put the slipper clutch in and I am totally addicted to backing her in on tight corners. Too me this is the most fun.

I grew up on dirt bikes and I also own a Tuono Factory. The Tuono is fun and terrifying due to speed and brute horsepower. It is great on the more open highways and moutain roads. However, when it gets tight the "dirt bike" feel and agility is most exciting.

I personally cannot make any comparison with the SXV and the "styletards" built by KTM and Ducati. They look the part but are not even close due to weight and size.

SM creates an either/or decision in bikes. The SXV is by no means a moderate do all or everything bike. It is strictly purpose built for no compramise SM duty. This is precisely why I love the bike and have a riot when I ride it.

Rich22
12-01-2007, 02:40 PM
My 07 has gone "tits up" twice. It is in the shop again for water in the oil. I hope I get good care from Aprilia. THe fact of the matter is (and I know it already has been stated time and again), you can do crazy stuff on this bike--especially in the tight twisties or on the SM track. The bike is a total riot. I put the slipper clutch in and I am totally addicted to backing her in on tight corners. Too me this is the most fun.

I grew up on dirt bikes and I also own a Tuono Factory. The Tuono is fun and terrifying due to speed and brute horsepower. It is great on the more open highways and moutain roads. However, when it gets tight the "dirt bike" feel and agility is most exciting.

I personally cannot make any comparison with the SXV and the "styletards" built by KTM and Ducati. They look the part but are not even close due to weight and size.

SM creates an either/or decision in bikes. The SXV is by no means a moderate do all or everything bike. It is strictly purpose built for no compramise SM duty. This is precisely why I love the bike and have a riot when I ride it.:plus:
Knee out sucks on this bike, its weight makes it far more sense to stay on it and put your foot out as its so easy to throw on its side. Plus hanging off it with your knee down just looks and feels wrong "its no R1" (my opinion) sorry all you hangers out there.