PDA

View Full Version : Another one bites the dust

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:06 PM
Here's what my Tuono looks like after a young French lady decided to turn left just as I was coming along....

Did I say I'm pissed off :gunner:
it's the third bike I've lost in 5 years because of cagers that claimed they didn't see me coming :asshole:

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:11 PM
left side

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:13 PM
some more

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:14 PM

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:16 PM
...ouch !!!

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:19 PM
even the tank got scratched :(

Manu
11-13-2003, 12:20 PM
and so is the frame

bluestreak
11-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about it. Hope you did'nt get busted up bad. In 33 years I've been down 3 times at the hand of others. You have suspect every car. There are dumb asses out there every where. It's a full time job just trying to stay away from them.

cggunnersmate
11-13-2003, 01:02 PM
:( I feel for ya man. I laid down my last bike after some cage tried to put me into a tunnel wall. People in cars will look right through motorcyclists.

theImmoralist
11-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Sorry about the bike, but I hope you are allright. I try to ride like I'm invisible, which to many drivers, I probably am. :mad:

cornercarver
11-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Looks very similar to how my book looked after I dropped it, except that I had frame silders on the rear swingarm and the rear motor mount. I wound up with similar damage to the front and side fairing (and the radiator protector mounting bracket broke), but had no damage to frame, swingarm, or tank. The damage caused by the pipe hitting he swingarm is anough to make me want some high mount dual pipes. I'm glad I didnt' crash on that side.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope she is amply insured.

--sam

Scary
11-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Hope you're OK Manu.Sorry to see so much damage to your baby.But some good has come out of your photo's.They've made me realise how lucky I was on the weekend, damage wise & now I'm going to spend the $$$$ on extra sliders for mine.I hope you're back in the wind soon.All the best.

X-CBR MAN
11-13-2003, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that bro, hope you didnt get hurt, I ride like no1 can see me, untill I get to the mountains! Then its banzai

ApexMolester
11-14-2003, 12:23 AM
yup, their not made to fall down. even standing still.

hope your back soon

Befbever
11-14-2003, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear, Manu. 'I didn't see you' has been their fave line, certainly in my and your experience. :gunner: :gunner:

I guess this isn't the time to tell you about the nearly new Tuono Racing with full Arrow system my dealer has in the showroom..

Sorry mate, plan on going to Spa this Sunday? Maybe we can meet! :)

Pimmie
11-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Is Spa open for free rides???:eek:

Befbever
11-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Not that I know, Pimmie. But Aprilia is presenting their new Supermotard at Spa during Sunday's Supermotard race for the World Championship so be there!

If you happen to spot a red Futura with round cans, that's mine. Best wait for me to start her up, you ain't heard nothing yet!

Anyone fancy a system for a Tuono?
:D

Manu
11-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the support guys :) and sorry for late reply :o
10 days after the crash I can say I'm almost OK: Neck and shoulder are way better but right knee join is still aching. Yet nothing broken this time ;)

The bike is totalled... only for repair cost reason. Aprilia spare parts prices are totally insane... about 3 times more than Japanese equivalent :gunner:

4K Euros the naked frame, 2K for swingarm and almost same for gas tank.

Since I didn't had full coverage I'll have to wait for both insurance companies to come to an agreement on the crash responsabilities before I can be sure to get full refund. From the advises I got I'm 99% sure the blame will be on the car driver, we were side by side on a 2 lanes one way drive when she decided without warning to turn left at a crossroad and knocked me down, but I know from previous experience that insurance company will try their best to slow down the procedure and keep money as long as possible in their hands :asshole:

I'll probably have to decide on buying back the bike or not without knowing for sure on the refund. Tough decision....
Concerns are as follow:
- The bike could probably be made rideable for 1-1.5k but without new swingarm. Would it be safe to ride a bike with such a dented swingarm (see pics above) ? Any similar experience ??
- Magnet grey is the only color that suits my taste and those 04 shades looks horrible to me :( I truly hopesome magnet grey will still be available beginning of next year cause I'll never buy one of those 04s...

So... Any advise on keeping the bike or not ?

Bef ... Sorry mate couldn't make it to Spa this W-E for family reasons. Looks like you got some charming weather up there ;)

Pimmie... Track days sometimes take place at Francorchamps, there're called bikerdays. Goggle on bikerdays-Francorchamps should give you datas. Anyway Francorchamps is too fast of a track for my taste

Pimmie
11-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Pimmie... Track days sometimes take place at Francorchamps, there're called bikerdays. Goggle on bikerdays-Francorchamps should give you datas. Anyway Francorchamps is too fast of a track for my taste

Wow, totalled eh? :(
If the swingarm is straight and the metal on the swing-arm is not damaged, i.e holed or deeply scratched you can ride it. You could have it x-rayed to check for hairline fractures or internal damage to be on the safe side...

Francorchamps is a beautiful circuit bit I've never ridden there, want too though...
I've ridden Zolder three times but after this year too many riders got killed there, I'm not riding there anymore....

Manu
11-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Pimmie
Francorchamps is a beautiful circuit bit I've never ridden there, want too though...
I've ridden Zolder three times but after this year too many riders got killed there, I'm not riding there anymore....

None of them is really suited for bike practice IMO and both can be very dangerous....

Did you already made it to Nurburgring ?

Manu
11-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Wow, totalled eh? :(
If the swingarm is straight and the metal on the swing-arm is not damaged, i.e holed or deeply scratched you can ride it. You could have it x-rayed to check for hairline fractures or internal damage to be on the safe side...

My concern is more related to a (locally) reduced inertia of the swingarm section caused by the dent. This could lead to greater swingarm flex under load....

Pimmie
11-19-2003, 04:36 AM
Did you already made it to Nurburgring ?

Yep, but never on the Tuono. I have on my Superlight and 748...
Just 10 laps in total but I wanna do more. Why you ask? Are we going on a date?:D

A few guys on www.motor-forum.nl with Tuono's are speaking of a Tuono day next year to the Ring...

I see what you mean with the swing-arm. Talk to Aprilia about it and hear what that say and have it x-rayed...

cggunnersmate
11-19-2003, 06:32 AM
As dented as that swingarm is I'd be suprised if the rear tire is straight. If the tire is out if line with the front it could cause problems with handling, not to mention some wierd and nasty tire wear.

:bond:

Manu
11-20-2003, 06:38 AM
Why you ask? Are we going on a date?:D

Sorry no date ;) Was just curious, I live in Liege and Nurburgring isn't that far away... but haven't been there yet...

Pimmie
11-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Manu
Sorry no date ;) Was just curious, I live in Liege and Nurburgring isn't that far away... but haven't been there yet...

LOL, too bad...:D

Luik eh? Near the Ardennes then...
Great riding. I normally get off the highway at Maastricht and ride the Nurburgring via Vaals and Gerolstein, nice ride.
I'll let you know next year, you can tag along if you want to...

Jimbobvfr
11-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Sorry about your get off! Course, you could be sporting some new special titanium hardware... as in four screws and a bracket that fuses the 3 verterbrae in my back when one of them was burst into about 5 pieces - the f)(*kin pizza guy says he didn't see me until too late, then just slid into me at about 50mph...

Course, I'm thinkin' of changing it to Pappa Jims after the settlement, so it ain't all bad!

Keep it safe out there guys,

Jimbob

RickA
11-21-2003, 06:07 AM
Manu, Think yours is bad?

Have a look at my ONE DAY OLD Tuono Racing, 70 miles on the clock, after an old git t-boned me 6 weeks ago. Just off the cruches now and the burns to my face & neck are healing!

Cheers to you all, Rick.

Pimmie
11-21-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by RickA
Manu, Think yours is bad?

Have a look at my ONE DAY OLD Tuono Racing, 70 miles on the clock, after an old git t-boned me 6 weeks ago. Just off the cruches now and the burns to my face & neck are healing!

Cheers to you all, Rick.

Holy cr*p!:eek:
It cought fire on impact? Glad to hear you came off relatively unscathed...
Will you be getting a new Tuono?

M747gm
11-21-2003, 09:17 AM
it's totaled?:happy: :happy: :happy:

Holy smoke! That picture is like watching somebody take one to the nuts...it hurts just looking at it.

UKRacer
11-21-2003, 10:30 AM
I cant believe you walked away from that one Rick. Who says these plastic tanks are safe! I hope the w@nker's car who knocked you off went up as well.

RickA
11-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Bit of a mess huh!

M747gm, you were not far wrong with your comment - with 6 fractures to my hips & pelvis it certainly feels like i've taken more than a few kicks to the nuts! Off the crutches now and hobbling around. Still a bit tender south of the waistline though!

Should get the replacement next week & I hope to keep it a bit longer than a day!

The git who knocked me off just stood by his car and watched as I burnt. 40 mins before the fire & ambulance turned up and he just stood back and watched. Can you believe it!

p.s. Arai RX7 helmets are a bugger to get off when they are on fire and melted to your face!!

Cheers, Rick.

bluestreak
11-21-2003, 01:16 PM
It's a shame you can't shoot people for stupidity!!!! :gunner:

I urge all of you that ride bikes, to join the AMA if your already not a member. I've been a member since 1975 and will convert to a lifer this year. Those who are members, pay for benifits that all bikers enjoy. Currently, they are legislating to enforce strict minimum penalties for idiots like the one that pounded Rick. More power to them. I've been riding about 33 years now and have seen a lot carnage at the hands of people who just don't care that we are out there on the roads with them. Cagers can kill us at will, with little or no concequence because the penalty for being stupid is not servere enough.
Remember, there is strength in numbers! We have to stick together in order to protect ourselves. No one else is going to do it. The AMA is fighting for US. The least we can do is to support their efforts.

Please join!

Sorry to preach. It just pisses me off when I hear that another fellow biker goes down at the hands of an idiot.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Manu
11-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Jimbobvfr
I already have some titanium hardware: Nice rod and 5 screws in left femur... I got those some 20 months ago when a car exiting a gas station hit me and totaled my VTR as I was coming along on the main road. :shooter:

RickA
Glad to hear your healing process is going ok and coming to an end. Wheelchair and crutches... been there... done that... Took me more than 6 months before I was allowed to walk crutchless after I got my femur "exploded" :mad:

One of the good point with a wreck such as yours is that you don't have to ask your self about keeping the bike or not ;)
New one is soon to come ... great :)

I see you're from Preston, went there to visit a friend a few years ago. I really missed my bike when we went to lake district... Outstanding place !!!

Ooops... forgot to ask, was yours Grey or red ? Can't tell from the pix ;)

RickA
11-22-2003, 03:56 PM
Manu,

Can't you tell the colour from the photo?? :D

It was a Racing, all carbon fibre, looked great!

Yep, Preston only an hour from the Lake District, my hunting ground - great roads. (Allthough that is where I was hit & the bike exploded!!)

Cheers, Rick.