PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to plate an 07 SXV in California?

efgalen
11-24-2007, 04:03 AM
I'm considering buying a 2007 SXV 5.5, and I've heard different things about how hard it is or isn't to plate the bike in CA. Any experience/input? How is this done?

Thanks.

Beau1K
11-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Not sure HOW it is done...but many have done it.

RXV_Poor
11-24-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm considering buying a 2007 SXV 5.5, and I've heard different things about how hard it is or isn't to plate the bike in CA. Any experience/input? How is this done?

Thanks.

I'd wait for an 08 and not worry about the issues of getting it licensed.

Beau1K
11-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd wait for an 08 and not worry about the issues of getting it licensed.

And not worry about getting your license plate revoked when they discover you've pulled a fast one ;)

darkside
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Are you buying new from a dealer ar used from a private party?

Jimmy D
11-24-2007, 02:16 PM
The people at the Aprilia booth at the San Mateo bike show told me the 08 will be legal in california. Can't wait!

smstroben
11-24-2007, 06:35 PM
mine is plated. took it in the back of my truck and they trusted me to read the vin plate to them since dmv employee cannot climb into the back of a customers truck. i just read the plate without the "nots".

my bike is for sale... pm me if interested.

Beau1K
11-24-2007, 07:01 PM
mine is plated. took it in the back of my truck and they trusted me to read the vin plate to them since dmv employee cannot climb into the back of a customers truck. i just read the plate without the "nots".

my bike is for sale... pm me if interested.

What "nots":confused:

And how the fuck is the VIN not on the paperwork :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

fireflyer
11-24-2007, 08:19 PM
OK... Here is how I got mine plated... I bought mine from a dealer. The the dealer you want to process your own paperwork at the DMV. There is a form you have to fill out and take with you. Then go to the DMV give them the paperwork and if they ask..... why are you doing the paperwork and not the dealer.. you tell them you are leaving for Mexico and need proof ov ownership. The lady didn't even bat an eyelash... I did not have to get a vin verification or anything like that... worked great. But if you are looking at getting the 550... you may want to wait till the 08's... hopefully they have fixed thier engine issues...... Good luck... P.S. where are you looking to buy from...city/dealer?

RZRob
11-24-2007, 08:58 PM
What "nots":confused:

And how the fuck is the VIN not on the paperwork :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Not for street use... And, the reason for looking at the bike is to confirm the number is the same as on the paperwork.

RZ Rob

smstroben
11-24-2007, 09:30 PM
Not for street use... And, the reason for looking at the bike is to confirm the number is the same as on the paperwork.

RZ Rob

exactly... the vin # is the same as you would find on any street legal bike.

Beau1K
11-25-2007, 12:25 AM
exactly... the vin # is the same as you would find on any street legal bike.

So your saying the vin doesn't have any of those nasty automatic green sticker #'s or letters in the wrong place?

fireflyer
11-25-2007, 02:13 AM
nope... no funny little green sticker or red sticker (which I have heard this bike is). In my case they did not even see the bike.. it was still at the dealers being derestrickted.... easy as pie!!!

darkside
11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
We registered 3 SXV's at the same time. The Dealer was so cool. I told him I wasn't interested unless I could get a plate. He let us take the paperwork to the DMV before we even paid for the bikes.

RXV_Poor
11-25-2007, 11:33 AM
It really depends on your DMV. Mine made me take my bike out of the truck or they would not register the bike. When I fought them on weather it was street legal or not they had a the DMV police (I forget what his title was.) do the research on it and it came back as a green sticker bike. This started on Sept 9 06 and ended Jan 24 07.

Do this at you own risk. I know for certain that the bike are coded in the system as off road only. Hopefully the # of bike is so low that they will be over looked.

RZRob
11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Do this at you own risk. This is correct. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I've registered lots of grey bikes and if things seem to be getting off on the wrong foot, I try to change the subject and walk lightly back out the door, then come back and start again with my new found knowledge.

RZ Rob

MickyC51
11-25-2007, 01:02 PM
This is correct. It's a bit of a crapshoot. I've registered lots of grey bikes and if things seem to be getting off on the wrong foot, I try to change the subject and walk lightly back out the door, then come back and start again with my new found knowledge.

RZ Rob

Seems a good strategy. I'm glad NY is much easier. If you smile and make jokes you can get away with an awful lot. If things are looking iffy and you can walk away before they stamped anything you can always try again tomorrow. I've managed to get my SXV and XR400 street registered without a blink.

Micky Curry

fyr
11-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Don't count your chickens guys. I was issued plates at my local DMV and thought I was lucky enough to be on the short list of "Plated CA SXV550 Owners". But, I just got a very long, official letter from Sacramento DMV office stating: "surrender your tags ASAP".

calpolo17
11-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Don't count your chickens guys. I was issued plates at my local DMV and thought I was lucky enough to be on the short list of "Plated CA SXV550 Owners". But, I just got a very long, official letter from Sacramento DMV office stating: "surrender your tags ASAP".

How long ago were you issued the plates?

RZRob
11-28-2007, 12:05 AM

The $10,000 question. Followed closely by, how did you register your's and in case it's not obvious, what threw up a flag? What specifically went wrong.

RZ Rob

smstroben
11-28-2007, 12:12 AM
ive had my plates for 10months... has anyone done a renewal yet?

fyr
11-28-2007, 12:54 AM

Less than 2 months ago. I was so stoked that it all went through and was looking forward to the paperwork, but I wasn't expecting what came in the mail.

I'm not sure what to do now, I bought this bike to be a fun "around town" rig. Right now it's a carpet ornament in my living room.

fyr
11-28-2007, 01:04 AM
The $10,000 question. Followed closely by, how did you register your's and in case it's not obvious, what threw up a flag? What specifically went wrong.

RZ Rob

Went to the local DMV office, filled out the forms, they looked at the bike, etc., etc. Walked out with plate and tags very happy and feeling lucky. The letter came from the state office (SAC) after the fact.

I was warned by a friend that sells bikes for a living that kind of thing could happen. But, even he thought I'd have a year or two before they caught up enough to realize and react. The notice (letter) even states that I am not allowed to sell the bike to another CA resident with intent to register it in the state of CA as it does not comply CA regulations.

RZRob
11-28-2007, 01:04 AM
You've got 49 more states to practice.:) From what I hear, TX makes it pretty easy. Know anyone there?

RZ Rob

smstroben
11-28-2007, 01:06 AM
i think you can get arizona plates with a ca address and insurance... i think someone on hear has done this.

fyr
11-28-2007, 01:13 AM
You've got 49 more states to practice.:) From what I hear, TX makes it pretty easy. Know anyone there.

RZ Rob

I think my ex-wife moved to Texas - that's not going to do me any good though! :nutts:

I have a friend that lives in CA and also owns a house Las Vegas. He said I could use his address, but I'm not sure it's all that easy to do when we both have CA licenses. I'm still looking into it.

fyr
11-28-2007, 01:17 AM
i think you can get arizona plates with a ca address and insurance... i think someone on hear has done this.

If someone has, and they don't mind sharing the steps involved I would love a PM with a few details. Otherwise, I think I'm going to look into Oregon as a possibility.

What a drag, but I guess I did know what I was getting into. I know, I know...:whiner:

MickyC51
11-28-2007, 07:30 AM
If someone has, and they don't mind sharing the steps involved I would love a PM with a few details. Otherwise, I think I'm going to look into Oregon as a possibility.

What a drag, but I guess I did know what I was getting into. I know, I know...:whiner:

A friend of mine who lives in NY with a NY license registered his Ducati 916 in NH by mail to save on taxes. I don't know the details but he said it was a piece of cake. He just called NH DMV and they mailed him everything. I had another friend of mine register my XR400 in NH as a street bike with just a NY ATV regitration card not a title and it worked fine. The XR is now street titled in NY. Maybe look into it that way.

Micky Curry

calpolo17
11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
PM RSV1000RnAZ. He is the one that registered his bike in AZ using his CA address and insurance.

calpolo17
11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
ive had my plates for 10months... has anyone done a renewal yet?

I did my renewal back in August.

fast4d
11-28-2007, 02:21 PM
when do the 2008 bikes arrive? I want an SXV but don't want the hassle with the DMV.