PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Bulletin - Engine & Trans Oil -T/F?

SbikeMotard
11-21-2007, 09:52 AM
hi

is it true or false that there is an Aprilia Bulletin that say to put the same oil for the engine and gearbox in the reservoirs as 10W-60?

thanx

AaronADV
11-21-2007, 12:08 PM
We have been running the 75-90 Mobil 1 synthectic all year, no problems in either bike

Ab

SbikeMotard
11-21-2007, 12:12 PM
me too

i use different oils but an aprilia mechanic told me that and it sounded like a bullshit to me...

i need to know this by a serious Aprilia dealer :)

ckevg
11-22-2007, 09:13 AM
We have been running the 75-90 Mobil 1 synthectic all year, no problems in either bike

Ab

:plus:

MickyC51
11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I was told by the Dealer to run the same oil in the tranny as I do the engine and not to worry about it.
I've been using Castrol 10-40, the same oil I use in all my bikes. No particular reason except they sponsored Colin Edwards back when, and I'm a shallow creature of habit.

Micky Curry

SbikeMotard
11-22-2007, 09:55 AM
any Aprilia Dealer?

is it true that there's an official bulletin that say to use the same olis for engine and transmission?

i just want to know if it is true or false.

MickyC51
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=SbikeMotard;1646342]any Aprilia Dealer?QUOTE]

I only know from my dealer "Seacoast" in New Hampshire. I have a lot of faith in Jesse but I don't know if there was any factory memos sent.

Micky Curry

SbikeMotard
11-22-2007, 11:27 AM
let's wait some dealer response ;)

i don't trust some mechanics that much...or better to anything they say
:cheers:

amauri
11-22-2007, 11:42 AM
any Aprilia Dealer?

is it true that there's an official bulletin that say to use the same olis for engine and transmission?

i just want to know if it is true or false.

I don't work at a dealer anymore but since I work for the race team I do have access to the same info and bulletins as the dealers, I have a login ID and password to serviceaprilia.com.

I just looked at all the bulletins and Service communications and the only reference to oil types I found is this:

Engine oil type:
As outlined in the Owner's Manual, recommended oil is: CCMC G-4 A.P.I. SAE 10W 60.
Gearbox oil type:
As outlined in the Owner's Manual, recommended oil is: IP FC or Agip
Gear Sinth 75W-90 (specific gearbox oil)

I worked with the factory race team in Ternate and traveled with them to the first SM race at the Franciacorta track earlier this year in March. The mechanics were using the same Agip 10W60 oil in both the gearbox and engine crankcase.

I guess you could go with what your owner's manual says or go with what others are using, but the official work looks like they want different oils.
I’ve not seen any bulletins saying to use the same oil.

SbikeMotard
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
thanx amauri

so my mechanic is a dork as he told me a lie.

and at the same time he said a possible thing that many people do

by the way when i'll do the oil change myself i use 10W 60 for the engine and 75W 90 for the grarbox.

WATTY
11-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Would there be a problem in using a 10w40 instead of the recomend 10w60
guys ?

Dragster pilota
11-22-2007, 11:54 AM
sbikemotard in da house:
let's wait some dealer response

I'm at Starol Racing an Aprilia dealer in Sweden and I have just gone through a bunch of stuff about these bikes since we'll be running a 2 driver team in the Swedish Supermoto Championship in 2008 and the only Technical Communication where there are recommendations regarding oils is this one:

TECHNICAL NOTE No. 012-2006 12-06-2006
MODEL: SXV-RXV 450/550

Subject: Correct procedure for engine and gearbox oil level check/top-up. Correct oil filter cap tightening torque. Engine serial numbers with verified flywheel fastening.

Dear Dealer,
we have determined that a wrong engine oil level in the oil reservoir and in the gearbox may cause oil to enter the air box. Correct oil level check/top-up procedures are as follows:

Engine oil tank: Start engine and let it run for 5/8 minutes. When the oil reservoir is warm (engine temperature about 70/80), place the motorcycle
upright and ensure the oil level is about halfway between the MIN and MAX marks on the oil reservoir.

Gearbox oil: With a cold engine (engine must remain stopped for one hour at least before checking level), check oil level using the screw on the clutch-side casing. When changing gearbox oil, fill engine with about 500 cc of oil. Wait at least 15 minutes and check level using the clutch-side casing screw; if level is low, add about 25 cc of oil. Oil in the gearbox must never exceed 600 cc.

Engine oil type: As outlined in the Owner's Manual, recommended oil is: CCMC G-4 A.P.I. SAE 10W 60.

Gearbox oil type: As outlined in the Owner's Manual, recommended oil is: IP FC or Agip Gear Synth 75W-90 (specific gearbox oil)

Correct oil filter cap tightening torque.
We have received some claims concerning this issue and would like to remind you that an oil filter cap at the wrong torque will distort, leading to oil leaks. Correct tightening torque is: 25 Nm

DP says: As far as I know this is the latest word on it from Aprilia....

cal550b
11-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Would there be a problem in using a 10w40 instead of the recomend 10w60
guys ?

no.i have used that all year and striped inspected and its perfect.

SbikeMotard
11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
thanx Dregster pilota

thanx everyone.

WATTY
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM
no.i have used that all year and striped inspected and its perfect.

cheers cal i can get my hands on as much 10w40 as i need it means i dont have the hasstle of special orderin it:cheers:

clubracer
11-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Been using 10w60 Putoline offraod 4+ synthetic all season in both engine and box. I was almost stunned when I found the pistons and top end were almost like 'as new' after an engine pulldown. Would never see such a good engine after most of a season on a jap I suspect. Quality of parts though, looks race quality. Didn't help my mains or crank though, when they were running in water...

NeoGeniX
11-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Wow Dragster Pilota...its been a few years since I've seen you here. What have you been upto?

Dragster pilota
11-23-2007, 11:48 AM
neogenix in da house:
Wow Dragster Pilota...its been a few years since I've seen you here. What have you been upto?

DP says: I'm here, there & everywhere.....