PDA

View Full Version : Ahh Damn!! I did not ask for a latte!!!

waxxer
11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Aw Damn!!!!

2300 miles and now I am showing water in my oil. I had a nice latte on top of my oil cap when I got home today. Sheeit!! I thought I had a bullet proof SXV. She has been awesome until the foam appeared.

Oh well.

:pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

Super Dave
11-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Well that sucks . Figure if you made it over 2,000 miles you would go the distance. Guess I'm next , I've got 2,100 trouble free.
Sorry ;(

Toomey
11-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Did you drain the oil yet?
I have creamy oil under my oil cap often. Yet when I change the oil it looks normal.

bwhip
11-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Mine started showing the oil cap latte foam at around 1,200 miles. I hoped that was all I'd see, as I changed the oil often. Took it to a trackday at about 1,500 miles, and after one session I had this nasty water/oil mix (emphasis on water) blasting out of the drain hose from the airbox. Broke my heart, as I absolutely LOVE the bike.

It's been at the dealer for over a month now. The good news is that it failed the test they run on it, so Aprilia will be replacing the motor. The bad news is they're still not quite sure when they'll have one. I wish they'd hurry up, as it's about the only one of my bikes that I wouldn't mind riding around a bit during the winter months here, weather permitting.

RZRob
11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm hovering around the same miles. Saw latte under the cap, but not in the oil yet. I've been told by the best that mine's a waiting timebomb.

RZ Rob

supraman95
11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Mine started showing the oil cap latte foam at around 1,200 miles. I hoped that was all I'd see, as I changed the oil often. Took it to a trackday at about 1,500 miles, and after one session I had this nasty water/oil mix (emphasis on water) blasting out of the drain hose from the airbox. Broke my heart, as I absolutely LOVE the bike.

It's been at the dealer for over a month now. The good news is that it failed the test they run on it, so Aprilia will be replacing the motor. The bad news is they're still not quite sure when they'll have one. I wish they'd hurry up, as it's about the only one of my bikes that I wouldn't mind riding around a bit during the winter months here, weather permitting.

So is this something that Aprilia is now doing? I have 550 on mine but it would be nice to know that they are standing behind them...

waxxer
11-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Did you drain the oil yet?
I have creamy oil under my oil cap often. Yet when I change the oil it looks normal.

I think you are doomed as well. In my circumstance, I have never had the latte foam under any conditions. I never hose the bike down nor has she been ridden in the rain or wet conditions.

There is simply no reason for the foam to be there or loss of coolant.

:mad::mad::mad:

waxxer
11-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Well that sucks . Figure if you made it over 2,000 miles you would go the distance. Guess I'm next , I've got 2,100 trouble free.
Sorry ;(

My engine # is very low and likely resides in the problem batch. Keep watching for the signs of evidence. Hopefully your bike mfg date is newer than mine.

Good luck!:cheers::cheers:

orangerider2
11-19-2007, 01:52 PM
waxxer, the best of luck in getting your bike repaired, hope it all goes well.:cheers::cigar:

supraman95
11-19-2007, 01:58 PM
What qualifies a late 07?

PainterDude
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Has this hapen to anyone with a 450???? I have over 2k on mine & this kind of bothers me....

orangerider2
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Only one 450 that i`am personally aware of.:cigar:

irie
11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Two brothers I know race 450s - one of them is OK and the other got the water/oil problem a few months ago. Now rebuilt and running fine.

bwhip
11-19-2007, 07:19 PM
So is this something that Aprilia is now doing? I have 550 on mine but it would be nice to know that they are standing behind them...

I've heard from two different dealers that this is what's happening, although I'm not sure it's "official" Aprilia or USA distributor policy per se. It may be, but I don't know this for sure, just what I've been told in my case.

Toomey
11-24-2007, 08:53 AM
I think you are doomed as well. In my circumstance, I have never had the latte foam under any conditions. I never hose the bike down nor has she been ridden in the rain or wet conditions.

There is simply no reason for the foam to be there or loss of coolant.

:mad::mad::mad:

So you think Latte under the cap is a symtom of what will inevitabely be a sealant failure?
Even if it has already been resealed with good sealant?
And, have you checked your oil yet?

Jim Hubert
11-24-2007, 09:09 AM
Has this hapen to anyone with a 450???? I have over 2k on mine & this kind of bothers me....

Before joining this board, I was allowed to test ride an individual's SXV 450. It had about 300 street miles on it after a dealer's service. The radiator was *significantly* less than full. Where did the water go? At that time I did not know to look at the oil filler cap for foam.

waxxer
11-24-2007, 04:17 PM
So you think Latte under the cap is a symtom of what will inevitabely be a sealant failure?
Even if it has already been resealed with good sealant?
And, have you checked your oil yet?

I would think so unless you are riding in very wet conditions withh an exposed filter. I have never had any hint of water/moisture. Then one day it appeared. I changed the fluids and it appeared after one ride. Second ride proved even more moisture.

I took it back to the dealer before it completely blew and flattened the cams etc.

I do not have to check my oil. Water condensation is visable in the site tube as well as on the cap.

List of issues:

1. Wheels lost their true
2. Bad radiator cap
3. Starter fried
4. Stator bolts backed out
5. Flywheel woodruf key sheared off
6. Clutch was loose from the factory
7. Oil in the water

I was pretty mum about things thinking I may have a good motor. It does not burn any oil and runs like a raped ape. However, I was always nervous about straying too far because of the issues.

It is an awesome bike when it runs but the headaches are too much for me. I do not have the discretionary time nor money to go through this kind of stuff. I need a bike that I can maintain, is more reliable and more fun because I get to ride it verses watching it disappear for months at a time at the dealership.

To be honest, I do not want it back. I would rather go through the hassle of a buy back.

Once you lose confidence in your steed, all fun is lost. I need a 20/80 bike. One the requires 20 percent maintanance with an 80 percent up and running time. The SXV has proven to be precisely the opposite with an 80 percent down time.

Sad. I enjoyed it when she ran. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

duc slayer
11-24-2007, 04:44 PM
The SXV has proven to be precisely the opposite with an 80 percent down time.

YOUR SXV has proven the opposite

waxxer
11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
YOUR SXV has proven the opposite

Fair enough. My SXV. Now don't make me get statistical on your ass!!:kidding:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

waxxer
11-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Well the bike has been in the shop since the 20th of November and all I have heard is that Aprilia will take care of it. The tech who worked on it prior to, and after the stator bolts backed out does not like the fact that I run Redline Racing Oils.

The lubes are not the issue. Furthermore my bike has never burned any oil and always ran and shifted top notch. The issue is the water in the engine oil, loose stator bolts that destroyed the coil and fly wheel, broken woodruf key, blown starters and watering blowing out of the radiator cap.

I have run Redline in all of my bikes and NEVER had any issues. I speak with Redline directly about my applications and use specifically what they say to use.

I love my bike! I cannot wait another 6 months without a SM. I also have serious doubts about the shops technical capability.

Standing by in Limbo land.....

Mike 44
11-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I took my sxv 550 to the shop on the 17th for the coolant in oil issue. Probly gonna be a long time before i see it again. Hauling this thing back and forth to the shop is getting to be a pain in the ass.