PDA

View Full Version : Another coolant question....

mkdiehl
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Sorry guys, new here and I've searched but haven't found an answer that makes me comfortable.

I bought a demo SXV550 last weekend. The dealer told me that they had put water in it so that they could take it to the track. So this evening I was going to put antifreeze in it for the winter and have a few questions if someone could help please...

1. I took off the skid plate to reveal the overflow tank. Inside it was a blue substance......looks like they were wrong and the orignal antifreeze was still in it....right?

2. During this process the overflow tank emptied into a bucket I had placed below the bike. Going on the assumption that this is indeed antifreeze, I am trying to figure out if I have enough in it now. The owner's manual references some "min/max" line which is nowhere to be found....Do I simply open the radiator cap and make sure the fluid covers the top??? Is it that simple? It seems to be, but even with the loss of fluid the fins are still covered. Maybe after a couple of heat cycles it will go down and I will have to add more (although I ran it up and down the street a couple of times already...)?

3. Finally; when I do want to change back to water, I read about an allen head bolt that was a quick drain. Can someone take a picture and/or describe where this bolt is? It was referenced in a previous thread but not to the detail that I need......

thanks,
matt aka "not very handy"

Jim Hubert
11-20-2007, 08:35 AM

Since no one else is going to tackle this...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ABANDON ALL HOPE!

Not the right bike for "not very handy".

MickyC51
11-20-2007, 09:23 AM
1. I took off the skid plate to reveal the overflow tank. Inside it was a blue substance......looks like they were wrong and the orignal antifreeze was still in it....right?
"

There's a very good chance the blue stuff is Engine Ice or some other similar product. If that's what it is it's very bad for the track. Throw the junk out.

Micky Curry

tgornik
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
There may have been some "residue"still in the engine, but a common "antifreeze" is Coolanol (sp?) and in sounds like it may be that. The engine book says it the cooling system will be ok with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze.

waxxer
11-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Sorry guys, new here and I've searched but haven't found an answer that makes me comfortable.

I bought a demo SXV550 last weekend. The dealer told me that they had put water in it so that they could take it to the track. So this evening I was going to put antifreeze in it for the winter and have a few questions if someone could help please...

Most likely left over coolant. They may have drained the radiators and cylinders and left that crap in the tank.

2. During this process the overflow tank emptied into a bucket I had placed below the bike. Going on the assumption that this is indeed antifreeze, I am trying to figure out if I have enough in it now. The owner's manual references some "min/max" line which is nowhere to be found....Do I simply open the radiator cap and make sure the fluid covers the top??? Is it that simple? It seems to be, but even with the loss of fluid the fins are still covered. Maybe after a couple of heat cycles it will go down and I will have to add more (although I ran it up and down the street a couple of times already...)?

I am not aware of a min/max designation except for the oil site tube. Fill the radiators until the cooling fins are submerged.

3. Finally; when I do want to change back to water, I read about an allen head bolt that was a quick drain. Can someone take a picture and/or describe where this bolt is? It was referenced in a previous thread but not to the detail that I need......

Do not run water unless it is distilled water. Mix with Redline Water Wetter 1 part WW and 3 parts water. NEVER put tab water into these motors or any aluminum block motor. If you do you will have a coral reef growing in cooling system.

The drain you reference is on the right cylinder near the exhaust pipe. It is a gun metal grey allen head. You cannot miss it. Put a pan under the bike and open this plug. It will piss alll over the bike and floor.

Seal it up, add fluid run the motor to ensure coolant is in the block then shut her down.

You should be set.

thanks,

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::c heers::cheers:

Jim Hubert
11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ABANDON ALL HOPE!

OK, that was just mean. Seriously, if you are not "handy" that bike is going to be a major nightmare for you.

My OEM coolant was blue.

The min/max line is on the coolant recovery tank (in the skidplate).

Fill the radiator until it won't take any more. Lean the bike from side to side (like 45 degrees) to allow trapped air to escape. Repeat this processes until you can't get any more coolant into the radiator. Place additional coolant into the recovery tank so the level is between min and max.

If there is an Allen head bolt to drain the cooling system, I haven't seen it yet.

I remove the radiator hose from the water pump and blow in compressed air to purge all coolant from the system (like purging an underground sprinkler system for winter). I use this technique when changing over from antifreeze to distilled water. I also use air to purge the cooling system of water for winter storage.

Hope that helps.

duc slayer
11-20-2007, 10:00 PM
OK, that was just mean.

Bwahahaha :cheers:

If there is an Allen head bolt to drain the cooling system, I haven't seen it yet.

there definitly is, I believe (from my limited memory) it's below the impeller..I think...actually I forget where it it

and honestly I do believe as long as your slightly mechanical, you can own this bike and wrench on it WITH THE HELP OF THIS FORUM and it's members...... Provided you are patient and can laugh at yourself or don't get pissed at the slagging your sure to take :D

waxxer
11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Bwahahaha :cheers:

there definitly is, I believe (from my limited memory) it's below the impeller..I think...actually I forget where it it

and honestly I do believe as long as your slightly mechanical, you can own this bike and wrench on it WITH THE HELP OF THIS FORUM and it's members...... Provided you are patient and can laugh at yourself or don't get pissed at the slagging your sure to take :D

Hey man that is bullshit. Then I learned that my ski rope was always getting cut to shreds in the impeller. God damn inboard ski boats.

As a result I went to a sport with nooo fucking impeller. I can slide around all I want with no rope!!!!

The SM is the perfect example of skiing on asphault. THe only difference is you have to be cooking at speed to do so!!!

If you are going fast enough, asphault feels like salt water!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

mkdiehl
11-20-2007, 10:30 PM
thanks....I think. :)

I am well aware of the issues with this bike, but as Duc said I believe I can handle it with the help of my dealer (who is great but wasn't open when I was doing this, thus the forum question) and this forum. Although as seen here, you have to verify anything you read.....is there a coolant drain or not????? for example. It's not a daily driver or even my primary bike (although it's working its way up the ladder)

Besides, beyond making sure the oil level is right and an occasional coolant swap I am not sure what else I am going to do (keep an eye on the air filter/oil issue as well). If there is any catastrophic motor failure it's not something i am going to deal with, I'll let the dealer handle it (my dime or his). And I am gonna let him handle the valve adjustments as well.

Just under 1000 miles and no trouble....yet.

By the way, I swear there is no mark on the overflow tank.....you don't have to be handy to be able to see!!! But just in case, I'll take it off again tomorrow and double check.

Until next question......

mkdiehl
11-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Waxxer...thanks for the help (I didn't notice your response embedded in mine). I just reviewed the fact that you were the one who originally spoke of the drain bolt. Just went out and found it. That will be much easier than the hose removal route.

later guys.
matt

duc slayer
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
BY NO MEANS IS THIS GOSPEL BUT IF YOU LOOK HERE

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=350

I think it's #9

waxxer
11-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Waxxer...thanks for the help (I didn't notice your response embedded in mine). I just reviewed the fact that you were the one who originally spoke of the drain bolt. Just went out and found it. That will be much easier than the hose removal route.

later guys.
matt

No worries Matt. Ask away.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

SLORider
11-21-2007, 05:40 AM
This is the coolant bleed plug:

However, it will not completely drain the system. Also, the same plug is used elsewhere for oil. There is a copper crush gasket that theoretically is a one-time use.

Jim Hubert
11-21-2007, 08:16 AM
If you just let the coolant "drain" you will not get anywhere near 100% out. Try this: Drain whatever you can, then use my compressed air method. You'll be amazed how much comes out.

I suspect your issue with blue coolant is that the dealership just "drained" whatever they could, and refilled the rad with water. This results in something like a 25%/75% (antifreeze/water) mixture the first time around. You can keep progressively diluting the antifreeze this way.

EDIT: OK, Maybe the min/max line is only on the picture in the manual and not on the tank itself?

Jim Hubert
11-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I'll stand corrected. Just looked -- there is no writing on my coolant recovery tank. (And I didn't see a picture in the use+maintenance book either.)

Jim Hubert
11-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Mix with Redline Water Wetter 1 part WW and 3 parts water.

That's not what the directions on the bottle say. What Redline suggests is more like a 3% concentration instead of a 25% concentration.