PDA

View Full Version : Frame Question

Ceva84
11-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Has anyone disassembled the frame yet ? meaning separating the alloy rear from the front tubular by means of the 4alloy bolts

what were your conclusions ?

Is it glued, or press fitted ?

please let me know.
thnx !!!

Cedric

MickyC51
11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Has anyone disassembled the frame yet ? meaning separating the alloy rear from the front tubular by means of the 4alloy bolts

what were your conclusions ?

Is it glued, or press fitted ?

please let me know.
thnx !!!

Cedric

Are you talking about the rear subframe holding the seat and the tailights? I so I just took mine off to have work done on the shock. It came right off and went right back on. Piece of cake. There were 4 bolts to the front frame section and 2 or 4 to the muffler. Pretty easy.

Micky Curry

duc slayer
11-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I think he's talking about the "main" two parts of the frame and to the best of my knowledge they are glued/epoxyed together

king karl
11-18-2007, 03:25 AM
They are epoxied, so cannot be seperated just by the bolts.. no powder coat just paint then :cheers:

Ceva84
11-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Thnx for the info karl, thats what I needed to know

they will be powdercoated though.

question is how :rolleyes:

greetz

work_moto
11-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Thnx for the info karl, thats what I needed to know

they will be powdercoated though.

question is how :rolleyes:

greetz

before assembly

king karl
11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Thats the only way, put the frame in an oven and it will fall in bits :eek:

Ceva84
11-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Thats the only way, put the frame in an oven and it will fall in bits :eek:

Karl, if its an epoxy based glue, it wont react on heat

however if its a hard glue, and you warm the components, meaning that the metals will expand, maybe it breaks apart then, have to try

Ill let you guys know

Cedric

PainterDude
11-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Karl, if its an epoxy based glue, it wont react on heat

however if its a hard glue, and you warm the components, meaning that the metals will expand, maybe it breaks apart then, have to try

Ill let you guys know

Cedric

Well, your partly right...If it is a heat tollerant epoxy based glue like JB weld then you are OK, but even JB weld is only tolerant up to 500 degrees farinheit.. So I would be very cautious, odss are they did not use this type of epoxy, figure why would they have to....

I powdercoat at my shop, so this would be an easy mod for me, but after talking with Aprilia reps I opted not to risk destroying the frame....Even if I were to powder coat frame & everything seemed OK, It may not nessessaraly be & I don't wan to find out after landing a 20 footer for the first time....

Just paint it.....All powder coat is, is paint....Sure its a bit more durrable, but it will scratch just like paint...