PDA

View Full Version : Tire Storage

cowboyporter
11-16-2007, 02:28 AM
How should one store a set of track tires over the winter? They are mounted on an extra set of rims. Should I deflate and set on their sides?

derrickhackman
11-16-2007, 06:16 AM
this is what i did, put them in a plastic bag and place them in the house in a dry environment and away from ozone producing machinery like water heaters or big electric motors.

you can double bag them if need be. i leave air in them and if they deflate ... so be it.

cowboyporter
11-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks Derrick, I was hoping you might chime in on this. In the house was a definite though I wouldn't have thought of putting them in a bag though.

The Dr.Jon
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
put them in a plastic bag and place them in the house in a dry environment and away from big electric motors.

So not in the Mrs bedside table drawer then Hairy!:happy:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!:eek:

derrickhackman
11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
that's pretty funny doc.

anyhow, if the tires were not mounted up what you should do is this (yes it is anal)
1/ take seran or plastic wrap and wrap the tire around and around going in and out so that it is 100% wrapped and sealed.
2/ take a big garbage bag and place the tires in there.
3/ take a vacuum and suck out all the air in the track bag ... like vacuum wrapping something
4/ hurray up and speedtape it shut so no air gets in.

That is the proper way to store these things. :cheers:

JedB
11-16-2007, 01:03 PM
that's pretty funny doc.

anyhow, if the tires were not mounted up what you should do is this (yes it is anal)
1/ take seran or plastic wrap and wrap the tire around and around going in and out so that it is 100% wrapped and sealed.
2/ take a big garbage bag and place the tires in there.
3/ take a vacuum and suck out all the air in the track bag ... like vacuum wrapping something
4/ hurray up and speedtape it shut so no air gets in.

That is the proper way to store these things. :cheers:

Thanks for the tip on storgage.

I'm sure I would have a fun time re-arranging the pencils on your desk and watching you put them back in order ;)

hank
11-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I just put them in a large capacity (lawn & leaf type) black plastic bag - besides keeping them away from ozone/electric fields, I keep them out of the sun. Lay them flat & stack them up...

Vacuum sealing is overkill IMO since you will most likely be using them in the relatively near term.

The best thing to do is look at the 'made date' on tires when you are buying them... you'd be amazed at how long some have been lying around waiting to be bought...

Choose vendors that carry the fresh stuff...:cheers:

williamr
11-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't know why, but the tyre people recommend reducing pressures by about 5 psi during storage.

Rob

scott2ride
11-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Over winter I store my track tires on the bike... then ride the fook out of it on every opportunity. Whos gonna let a little bit of cold slow you down! :bump:

Having said that... I kill Aprilias :rolleyes: