PDA

View Full Version : cold tires=bad spill, plz help if you can

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 01:04 AM
This isn't my first time on the merry-go-round I know cold tires are dangerous but I didn't use enough caution, I need help really bad too, I wiped out leaving work this evening the weather is in the high 30's and the bike fell over at the first turn going 5 mph, 5, you heard right 5. I didn't lean over very far I didn't turn very hard but it went out from under me so fast next thing I knew I was on the ground, my front rt side fairing is all scratched up and the top fairing is cracked, I'm sure I will need all new top middle and lower rt side fairings and a new brake pedal of coarse. My can has a dent in it at the lower corner but nothing serious that sticks out too much I can live with that. I really love the scheme of the bike and I wonder do I fix this myself (somehow) as I'm no good at body work and painting like this or do I call insurance which might not be pretty either.
I'll post pics later its too dark now, the tank is fine the tail is fine the frame appears to have a tiny dent in it from the pedal but that is all and the front and rear forks/swingarm appear to have not touched the ground as I was under the bike and my knee now has some nice road rash. the REDICULOUS thing is this was going to be the last day I even had it out I was going to winterize it tomorrow and put it in the shed, I'm going to go cry now.
the top fairing is cracked halfway up the windscreen all the way across and some peices of the lower fairing broke off but it saved the engine. still, it was just over walking speed. :(
sliders would have saved me, and I almost bought them too, god I'm so dumb.

The Dr.Jon
11-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Out of interest, what tyres? Was there any fuel or other hazard spilt at the scene prior to your off? Was the temp. high 30's F or C?

Hope you get it fixed up ok. I know it doesn't help you, but the very first mod I ordered for my new ride before the 15t sprocket and Akras was R&Gs.

Lets be careful out there.....

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 04:14 AM
no spills or sand I could see, dry pavement, lets say 35f or about near freezing. but still dry. they are metzelers and I'd have to look at which ones as I can't remember. I'm only slightly freaking out as I bet I can't afford this kind of a spill right now and I'm still in shock, it was so fast and I Was being so careful. :bangwall:

The Dr.Jon
11-16-2007, 04:35 AM
no spills or sand I could see, dry pavement, lets say 35f or about near freezing. but still dry. they are metzelers and I'd have to look at which ones as I can't remember. I'm only slightly freaking out as I bet I can't afford this kind of a spill right now and I'm still in shock, it was so fast and I Was being so careful. :bangwall:

My new '07 came with Rennsports, I ditched them at the 650 mile service last week as they don't like the cold and especially the wet. I had a couple of very scary moments on the Rennsports in the wet on the second weekend I had the bike including a two wheel drift in a wet corner and even spinning up the rear with moderate acceleration on a greasy road. Changing to Pilot Powers has transformed the bike with confidence restored in turns in the wet and when braking hard on cold pavement.

derrickhackman
11-16-2007, 06:15 AM
cripe, that is a bummer and can easily happen. i recall several times when buddies have almost tucked the front and had to do dirttrack style to keep it off the deck. its a pisser but does happen and it already happened so no worries.

how long you want to keep it and what you want to use it for will depend on how to fix it. if you want it back to stock then you should source the plastics from ebay, this forum etc... if you want to track it get some race plastic (which you can also use on the road) and use it dual purpose.

what i would do is this. put the bike up for the winter. take all the plastic off and see if you have any underlying damage. determine a parts list and see what you can find over the winter. get the bike back together best you can for the spring and ride it. who cares if it isn't pristine any longer.... at 100mph no one can tell anyhow :cheers:

BTW, you are luck you didn't break or sprain an ankle. those low speed offs can get your feet in bad situations.

U.F.O.
11-16-2007, 08:06 AM
What Hackman said.

There are some good plastic welding solutions you can get that will melt the plastics back together. If it's just a crack you can repair it and get it looking 80% of what it was for cheap.

spoonz
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
What Hackman said.

There are some good plastic welding solutions you can get that will melt the plastics back together. If it's just a crack you can repair it and get it looking 80% of what it was for cheap.

On the plastic welding idea just thought i would mention that my old 2000 bike had a fall and the plastic welding people I tried had major problems with the type of Plastic Aprilia used. The weld didn't bond well at all.

Whether Aprilia still use the same plastic on the newer model panels i'm not sure. We are talking a few years ago so maybe the technology of plastic welding has moved on.

derrickhackman
11-16-2007, 08:32 AM
you can always safety wire the split

http://patineto.smugmug.com/photos/30216516-M.jpg

this is a bad example of how it can look. I have actually seen some really good safety wire work on race bike bodywork. Some looks pretty cool like the bike is knitted together.

Just an option :cheers:

MDRSV
11-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Buy some Sharkskins...you can make them look nice if painted properly, if OEM panels bust your budget......plus they hold up in crashes really great!!

badmotorscooter
11-16-2007, 09:21 AM
I say insurance... and get it looking like brand new again. I've wiped out my Factory twice, once on the street and once on the track. The street incident (pretty extensive damage), I handled with insurance and got her looking brand new - Progressive treated me great and did not raise my rates. The track incident (this year) was saved by sliders, and all I got was some minor scuffing from the grass that my body man blended perfectly.

My bike still blings and gets a lot of attention on the street and on the track. I like Apes so much I'm getting another one this month.

Good luck.

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
well I found out the new side plastics will run me about $600, and do I really need a new rear brake peg? :D I don't know if my insurance would cover the aftermarket cans as they're not listed BUT I could get rid of the 90% of the scuff if I cut the cans down like I've seen doen on here, I'll have to weld together the top somehow and thats fine they're on back order with No ETA, but the side fairings isn't as expensive as I Thought it would be so I got some rest, my knee feels better my ankle is fine (THANK GOD) and things can be fixed. now I know and in the spring I'm ditching these stupid tires for pirelli diablos or maybe those pilot powers. :cheers:
I'm going to go get some pics.
I really am lucky it wasn't worse though but still last day of riding it? not a payment made? I almost rub it with a diaper more than ride it? well I guess I'm going to flog the hell out of it now, its got some scratches. :gunner:

The Dr.Jon
11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Positive Mental Attitude...good on ya! :worship:

So...are the tyres Metzeler Rennsports?:eek::bond:

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Positive Mental Attitude...good on ya! :worship:

So...are the tyres Metzeler Rennsports?:eek::bond:

THEY ARE!!!!!! :soap:

I cannot not approve of those tires enough, other than the dry southwest I'd ditch them asap. pics uploading. . .

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 02:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2306.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2308.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2309.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2310.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2316.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2311.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Kegan/DSC_2314.jpg

my memory was fuzzy, guess cutting down the can won't help anything, my best bet there will be to just buff it out so it doesn't stick out so much, hmm fresh sratches are so Sparkley in the sunlight :lover: :bangwall:

U.F.O.
11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
... in the spring I'm ditching these stupid tires for pirelli diablos or maybe those pilot powers. :cheers:

I put Dunlop Qualifiers on my Tuono and the thing rides like it's on rails. They make a 190/55 that looks great and you can put down more of that V-Twin torque while you're leaned over.

I really am lucky it wasn't worse though but still last day of riding it? not a payment made? I almost rub it with a diaper more than ride it? well I guess I'm going to flog the hell out of it now, its got some scratches. :gunner:

Bah... those scratches aren't that bad. It's "Character".

Try the plastic weld on that break, and otherwise just ride the hell out of it. The sharkskinz are not a bad idea either.

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
well here's a question, anyone change out those black side blades for CF and got a stock one I could buy off you, also, anyone change out thier taillights for clear and have an amber I could buy off you? mine appears to have popped out, didn't hit the ground just broke out from the fall, also anyone got a stock brake peg, as I know it might be more comfortable without that pesky peg there but I do use it, when I'm sitting at traffic ligts on a grade I sit upright to stretch and keep my foot on the rear so I don't roll, works like a champ, on the road, not as much.
those lil things some new barends, sand out those scratches on the exhaust and buy a new mid and lower AT LEAST a lower as its broken (from Af1) and I'm Good to Go.

williamr
11-16-2007, 05:31 PM
Cold tyres don't cause 5 mph spills. Grabbing the front brake at that speed is a much more common cause. Use the rear. The other common cause is just losing your balance because you yourself are cold and lose concentration.

Bad luck about the damage.

Rob

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Cold tyres don't cause 5 mph spills. Grabbing the front brake at that speed is a much more common cause. Use the rear. The other common cause is just losing your balance because you yourself are cold and lose concentration.

Bad luck about the damage.

Rob

oh, I can assure you I didn't touch the brake, I was pulling out of the parking stall with nothing in front of, near around behind nothing, a big wide open parking lot that I needed to make a right turn to get out of and was still speeding up not touching the brake and it lost its edge. it was below freezing outside as well I'm sure. but you might be right about my balance as I had a gatorade bottle in my coat and it was freezing outside and I just left my spot so I was getting situated and then whoosh down I went.

RZRob
11-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Man, I'm bummed for you. Judging by your bike, I'd say you're a neat freak and probably wouldn't settle for anything less than new replacements. It's going to hurt, but just jump in and do it.

Those parts can be "fixed" and sold to help cover costs. I agree with Derrick if it's a track bike, but in that case, it's all about thrashing, and looking good comes second. BTW, Derrick's repair example looks a tad too Frankenbike to me. The pride associated with riding an Ape on the street goes out the window if it's a thrashmaster.

Regarding your bike, it looks like you were going a bit over 5MPH, but even dropping off the sidestand can be costly. I dumped my RZ once coming off a freeway. AntiFreeze from someones POS was in the center of the lane and my bike went down faster than dope deal in a school parking lot. Needless to say I was cussing for the next hour straight

RZ Rob

grumpyduck
11-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I have done this.... only I came off worse that the bike!!

Back in '03, 1/8th mile from home, first slight bend, down she went (Gpz600) and my right thumb hit the deck under the twist grip, bent right back, shattered in multiple places.

I thought I had broken my wrist, a passer by came to my aid and I used the other hand to pick up the bike, with him helping, unbeknown to me I had also fractured the Radius Head of my left arm!!

8 weeks with the use of no arms...not fun I can tell you...

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Man, I'm bummed for you. Judging by your bike, I'd say you're a neat freak and probably wouldn't settle for anything less than new replacements. It's going to hurt, but just jump in and do it.

Those parts can be "fixed" and sold to help cover costs. I agree with Derrick if it's a track bike, but in that case, it's all about thrashing, and looking good comes second. BTW, Derrick's repair example looks a tad too Frankenbike to me. The pride associated with riding an Ape on the street goes out the window if it's a thrashmaster.

Regarding your bike, it looks like you were going a bit over 5MPH, but even dropping off the sidestand can be costly. I dumped my RZ once coming off a freeway. AntiFreeze from someones POS was in the center of the lane and my bike went down faster than dope deal in a school parking lot. Needless to say I was cussing for the next hour straight

RZ Rob

thanks for the encouragement and I might have been as high as 10mph MAX because I was about 15ft from where I left. I will get new middle and lower replacements but I'll have to live with it not being 100% ever again, I might ride better that way :cheers:
the top fairing, I've been doing some searching and I don't want to go frankenbike on it so I'm thinking some epoxy resin with some fiberglass for support on the underside it doesn't have to look pretty just have to support a little but, put it on like a bandaid and then just use some type of plastic glue in the break itself and a tiny bit of touchup paint and then just live with the fairing being broken until either they're available again and I got $600 laying around OR someone changes out thier bike for race plastics.

rx7tt95
11-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Sorry about your misfortune! Hope you get it all back together soon although those Minnesota winters are LOOOOONG.

jack_straw
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
If you did decide to go through your insurance/collision I would say that your frame would be replaced since your brake lever damaged it. I am pretty sure that is how they roll. That may or may not be a good thing, but something to think about.

derrickhackman
11-16-2007, 07:36 PM
debenguzzi, your bike is fine ... no worries. that is barely rash at all for cripe sake.

have a look at this ... which isn't really that bad either :cheers: sorry Louis

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/199/504530454_f93aae007f_b.jpg

get a few decals from CKruzel and rip on :cheers:

coleman1
11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Call AF1...you might get lucky. Sometimes they have "used" fairings. Fairings they took off a brand new bike to make it a race bike. They sell them a lot cheaper than new ones...A LOT cheaper.

DeBenGuzzi
11-16-2007, 07:54 PM
If you did decide to go through your insurance/collision I would say that your frame would be replaced since your brake lever damaged it. I am pretty sure that is how they roll. That may or may not be a good thing, but something to think about.

that might be worse, don't think I have gap coverage so then I have to come up with the 2 0r 3 thou to cover the differance they may give me as to what I actually get for it, but I will aleast inquire into it. might be worth a look if nothing more.

Call AF1...you might get lucky. Sometimes they have "used" fairings. Fairings they took off a brand new bike to make it a race bike. They sell them a lot cheaper than new ones...A LOT cheaper.

I already talked with Ed and some things are in the works but it didn't sound like they have any used on hand just some new in stock.

and hackman you always know how to make it all seem better ;)
:happy:

ckruzel
11-16-2007, 09:58 PM
sorry to hear that you laid it down. i've been in almost full lean hard on the gas in the 30's and 40's i got caught in a summer rain a few months ago, when i parked the bike the tires steamed off dry

to be honest, the pilot powers give out when pushed hard in summer temps and they don't heat up nearly as much as others like the pirelli or dunlop, i had a lenghty thread when i was riding hyperdrives bike for a few weeks with pilot powers vs my qualifiers

burnham
11-16-2007, 10:01 PM
All I can say is you're lucky you were not riding the faster black bike, it could have been way worse. :kidding: I've binned two mint bikes, one at only 299 miles, I feel your pain. Good luck either way you go with it.

G Steyn
11-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your incident!!!!!

That SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Good luck with repairs,

thrillaprilla
11-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Well... at least the leathers have some street cred now.
I've been riding in sub 40s' on and off for the last few weeks, and it's easy to spin up any tire. A week ago I got it sideways on a sealed parking lot after a slight drizzle, long enough to consider how big an audience I might have if I stuff it into some parked cars. Lucky me, it got back in line without looking too stupid (I hope) after about fifty feet. After I gingerly turned onto the street (concrete) I gently rolled on the power again, and presto! another powerslide. At this point I am thinking, if my rear tire wasn't warm before - it might be warm now.
Sport bike tires in general seem to be fair weather tires, and I am considering some touring or adventure touring tires for winter and\or switching over to my SV650 for winter comuting.
It's a shame, that when your motor runs best - your tires behave worst.... sigh.

Roadless
11-17-2007, 03:16 AM
I use metzelers, but the type 3 something from them.
Supposedly awsome in the cold and the rain, but then again the black Factory is a bastard when it comes to powerslides at slow speeds and low rpm.
I was going to upload pics of my bike, a bit of scuffing after some road-rails, didnīt take me down, but then again, all the luck of my life has been consentrated to driving, non for marriage or money........

Last two weeks have been close to zero C, or 35 F, and include a number of front wheel slides and rear wheel powerslides, but so far, NON in the dry.
Not so bad, no downs, just enough to get my heartrate going past 60 ..
My assumption thus is that the place of your down was covered in dust, happens a lot over here in the dry in wintertime, nasty slippery stuff too.

gyges_1
11-17-2007, 09:47 AM
this guy may have what you need...
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130507

DeBenGuzzi
11-19-2007, 01:28 AM
if you look at the scratches I think I must have just hit the gas a tiny bit too much as it looks like the bike was twisting as I slid the 5 feet or so, I'm sure I was at 10mph at fall down but the scratches some are straight but more are to the side. well its elementary my dear watson the backtire spun out upon lean in and the bike went down. :bangwall:
side note, got a new taillight lens and barend coming from a generous member, I plan to order the fairings over the winter, mid-fairing next month and lower the month after that buff the corner of the can and hopefully find a new upper if not, glue it, reinforce the back and put a CKruzel sticker over the whole hackjob till a new one is procured.

thedude
11-19-2007, 08:27 PM
That's happened to me before as well....right after I had spent 2hrs cleaning it. Cold temps and new tires=slippery.... Almost the exact same circumstances. Stupid thing was I had the crash sliders, but hadn't put them on yet... :bangwall:

I feel your pain!!

derrickhackman
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
hey i pushed my bike off the rear stand by re-aligning the front wheel in the forks. just imagine standing in front of the bike pushing up and down on the forks only to have the bike step right off the rear stand... it gradually lists to the right and then it just careens into your tool box.... doh!

it happens ... it happens. :cheers:

just be glad you didn't snap your foot off in the process.

EDIT, last time i used that LP stand ... i went and got a PitBull from AF1 ... to match the front PitBull. PitBull stands are bomb-proof.

ThisEndUp
11-19-2007, 09:08 PM
this guy may have what you need...
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130507

:plus:..............yup, contact this guy. (that's the guy I PM'ed you about a while back).

gmcenroe
11-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry to see your new bike rashed, but good thing is that you were not hurt. Even though I would be sick if my 2001 Mille had the same damage it seems like farily minor damage that could be brought back to new. Look at it this way, now you have a good reason to replace your stock exhaust with some nice pipes. With cooler weather even in California I had a few minor power slides on cold tires so now I am extra careful but I probably shouldn't be running Dragon Supercorsas on cold roads and tires anyway. I'm about to put the bike away for the winter and look for some new tires since my 2001 has the original set that were aged by previous owner. Good luck with your repairs, you still have a great bike.

aprsv2007fl
11-20-2007, 09:17 AM
that really, really sucks, i just drove to work 68 degrees right now...no problem with cold tires today. i gota get rid of those metzlers though, im looking at diabolo coras III's the whole set with 190 rear would run about $250 at motorcycle superstore.com

DeBenGuzzi
11-20-2007, 09:55 AM
:plus:..............yup, contact this guy. (that's the guy I PM'ed you about a while back).

I did contact him but its purple, bel d'or, now thats a possibility but egh, light urple? :happy:

that really, really sucks, i just drove to work 68 degrees right now...no problem with cold tires today. i gota get rid of those metzlers though, im looking at diabolo coras III's the whole set with 190 rear would run about $250 at motorcycle superstore.com

68 won't cause any problems, it was about 30 outside when I fell maybe a little bit colder. you shouldn't have a problem in florida :rolleyes:
but yes you can't go wrong with diabloIII's but might want to buy a two pack, that way they'll last all weekend. :happy:

DeBenGuzzi
11-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm on my way, got new barend, turn signal coming in the mail AND now I have Carbon Fiber side blades for the upper fairing coming to replace that mangled black one, should be all back together I'll take some steel wool to that connector cap on the leo pipe but if anyone has a spill on the left side and thier right side can is good I'll buy, I'LL BUY. :cheers:
http://www.street-fighters.eu/ebay/aprilia/rsv1000%2004-06/deflettori.jpg

X-CBR MAN
11-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Man that sux, just glad you made out ok.
THis morning went for a ride and was testing the tires and there is such a difference between summer and winter. It was about 40 degrees and felt the front and rear coming loose.
Good lluck with your bike.

Winter Sux

Beau1K
11-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Move to SoCal ;) Winter is awesome :D

DeBenGuzzi
03-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I have the side panels coming from AF1 and my upper fairing is at the body shop as we speak all other parts are fitted on the bike, I have Rhinomoto everything on the way too(even frame sliders as I talked steffen into making them for the 04+ models) once I have the plastics and put it all together I'll post up some pics and I have so many ppl to thank, all the little ppl. nah I'll do a full post with pics and work done but I'm so excited the upper is only setting me back $120 to get it fixed like new. :cheers: