PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an 08 motor?

iStunt
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
As it looks like now for me. Instead of getting a buy back they want to put an 08 motor in my 07 bike. I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with it or knows what they changed or fixed.

ADROCK
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I just had what they call an " 08 engine " fitted into my sxv550 which had seal issues - Water in oil . It was built on the 29/6/2007 and has done 1000k's so far without a hitch . It obviously has had all the updated specs to ensure reliability , eg: correct sealent ( or one that works ! ) and the other adjustments - stator bolts checked etc . It runs beautifully and has been ridden hard . So if your still not sure about whether the bike is going to be bullet proof now ... well .. i reckon mine is now better than it was NEW .

Hope that eases your concern a bit . :cheers:

duc slayer
11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
it'll have the new designed piston's in it, for longer intervals

AaronADV
11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
we are supposed to be getting 08 engines for our bikes. I really think Aprilia is try to make good on these bikes

Ab

uberchicken
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
I have a 2nd gen engine in my 07, just got it. SO far, not a bit of coolant burned and oil looked good at first oil change.

slingshotcy
11-14-2007, 01:12 AM
I recently had my water in oil issue appear. I have a RXV550 '07 and before this i was thru the old starter issue and the flyweel not locking due to extensive misfiring issue with the old fried starter. This was all settled (changed to new) under warranty and no more starting issues. Fires up first click even if sitting for days.

I didn't wait at all when i noticed the creamy stuff in the overflow tube and the side tube and contacted the dealer.

Last night i took it over to the dealer and he told me he will be contacting Aprilia Italy (i am in Cyprus) and the possibilities are 2. Either a rebuilt using the new bonds for all seals or a new engine. Again all these will be under warranty. The bike has 1400kms on the odo and is still restricted.

What do u guys recon? Will they get the new engine for me?

Thanks

Beau1K
11-14-2007, 02:17 AM
Seems like you guys are getting some excellent service from Aprilia on your SXV's/RXV's despite their VERY limited warantee.

Jim Hubert
11-14-2007, 10:25 AM
In many parts of the US, the engine number is recorded as part of a motorcycle's title -- even though it may not appear on the title. This is used to help identify stolen parts.

If you replace an engine, you often must have the vehicle inspected by the DMV so the paperwork is correct. I surely would try to get the dealership involved in this.

Many years ago I unknowingly bought a stolen engine from an out-of-state junkyard. As you can imagine, this caused considerable frustration when I went to the DMV. Ended up writing an article about the whole experience for Roadracing World magazine.

slingshotcy
11-18-2007, 09:58 AM
New engine is on it's way from Italy 3 days ago... :) :worship:

Hopefully by the end of the upcoming week i will have my bike back.

Anyone know of any prooved way to check if the new engine i will get will be a true "2008-new generation motor" ???

Also can the mileage on the ODO be electronicaly changed since i am getting a new motor?

Thanks

irie
11-18-2007, 02:12 PM
I have seen a new split motor.

The new motor has a water way directly between the front and rear cylinder through the 'V' between the two cylinders.

cal550b
11-18-2007, 02:36 PM

The new motor has a water way directly between the front and rear cylinder through the 'V' between the two cylinders.

and were you not told to keep it to yourself.all you are doing is devaluing everyones bikes.thanks

gwr
11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
cal,
We might have gotten off on the wrong foot............. It seems we are not that different......... I can see your patients wearing thinner and thinner !!!!! he he he

cal550b
11-18-2007, 03:04 PM
cal,
We might have gotten off on the wrong foot............. It seems we are not that different......... I can see your patients wearing thinner and thinner !!!!! he he he

we may just end up buddy's, but im not into that gay thing:kidding:are all mechanics not miserable?

Jim Hubert
11-18-2007, 03:06 PM

Irie, having already spilled the beans... is it something that could be machined into pre-2008 cases to "upgrade" them?

cal550b
11-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Irie, having already spilled the beans... is it something that could be machined into pre-2008 cases to "upgrade" them?

yes if you look back you will see my cases mod ,i have tested it for some time and i am sure it is a long time cure, fine for the few who have it done but it makes all others until the 08 inferior.

Jim Hubert
11-18-2007, 03:13 PM
yes if you look back you will see my cases mod ,i have tested it for some time and i am sure it is a long time cure, fine for the few who have it done but it makes all others until the 08 inferior.

Thanks. I'm not sure about the devaluation part. Knowing what I know at this moment in time, I would prefer to have an '07 motor hand-assembled by a competent party rather than an '08 motor assembled by Aprilia.

smstroben
11-18-2007, 03:15 PM
:plus:

cal550b
11-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks. I'm not sure about the devaluation part. Knowing what I know at this moment in time, I would prefer to have an '07 motor hand-assembled by a competent party rather than an '08 motor assembled by Aprilia.

well thats a good thought,i personally would not swap my motor either,but i have seen a few things that have made the new sxv potentially better in the long term that is my only worry for the sxv,s of now ,we all know how scared people are of these bikes already , i have changed a lot to make the basic bike very good and reliable ,i can do that ,where gwr is very good at making them fast,somewhere in between would be a top selling supermoto,but the extra cost in doing so is the killer.

irie
11-18-2007, 04:47 PM
and were you not told to keep it to yourself.all you are doing is devaluing everyones bikes.thanks

You cannot possibly have any idea where I saw the split motor! And in any case I was certainly not told to 'keep it to myself'.

Get a life. :)

irie
11-18-2007, 04:53 PM

I haven't 'spilled any beans', it's just what I saw and stuck my fingers into, plain and simple.

I have no idea whether it could be machined into pre-2008 crankcases. Who knows whether it will solve any problems, whatever those problems might be? It might make the V between the cylinders run cooler, but (imo) unless the water keeps on getting cooled and circulated around the engine AFTER the engine is stopped I doubt it will make a significant difference. But I'm not a design engineer ...

irie
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM

Agreed.

RXV_Poor
11-18-2007, 06:53 PM

:plus::plus: I agree with this completely and it's what I intend to do if/when it's time to rebuild for whatever reason.