PDA

View Full Version : First oil change on SXV - suggestions and tips?

stan23
11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi,

I'm about to do my first oil/gear change on my '07 SXV 550. I have 2 quarts of 10/50 Motorex oil and 1 quart of 80w gear oil.

Any tips and suggestions? I want to make sure I don't mess up.

Thanks in advance!

Stan

stan23
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
If I don't prime the oil filter (put oil in the filter before replacing) Do I still measure in 1250cc's of oil?

RXV_Poor
11-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Lay the bike on its side and prime the oil filter.

After you've done that stand the bike up and fill the tranny until it comes out the bleed hole.

Then finish putting the oil in the motor (Oil Tank) and drink a beer.

Come back and top off the tranny until it runs out the bleed hole and close it.

This is what my dealer told me to do and has worked for me.

stan23
11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Wait, there's a bleed hole on the tranny? I thought I was just to measure 575cc's of gear oil and be done with it?

Lay the bike on its side and prime the oil filter.

After you've done that stand the bike up and fill the tranny until it comes out the bleed hole.

Then finish putting the oil in the motor (Oil Tank) and drink a beer.

Come back and top off the tranny until it runs out the bleed hole and close it.

This is what my dealer told me to do and has worked for me.

RXV_Poor
11-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Check this site out.

http://xvasylum.wikidot.com/

conman
11-11-2007, 11:08 PM
no, there is a bleed hole. you have to take the bolt off that holds the rear brake pedal on and its behind that. kind of a pain in the ass to get at ........patience is a virtue....... remember grasshopper ....patience,,

irie
11-12-2007, 06:20 AM
You're doing the right thing - there's no need to use the bleed hole, just shove 525cc oil in the tranmission. Or 575cc if you want, doesn't matter.

Jim Hubert
11-12-2007, 08:27 AM
It is always preferable to slightly underfill a gearbox rather than to overfill it. If the gears are deeply submerged in oil, it creates excessive "windage". This heats the oil significantly, and also wastes horsepower. Kevin Cameron tells a story about a gearbox getting hot enough to char its paint!

Jim Hubert
11-12-2007, 08:31 AM
BTW: the SXV's gearbox was another disappointment for me. Given Aprilia's heritage in GP 2-strokes, I was expecting a pressure-fed gearbox instead of a splash gearbox.

stan23
11-12-2007, 02:47 PM
You're doing the right thing - there's no need to use the bleed hole, just shove 525cc oil in the tranmission. Or 575cc if you want, doesn't matter.

I realize your sarcasm, and I appreciate it. But I really do need some help. It's my first oil change, and I'm scared to mess something up. This link was helpful http://xvasylum.wikidot.com/ , so i'll try it out when I get home.

conman
11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I realize your sarcasm, and I appreciate it. But I really do need some help. It's my first oil change, and I'm scared to mess something up. This link was helpful http://xvasylum.wikidot.com/ , so i'll try it out when I get home.

just remember that the engine oil doesnt go in the engine and that it goes in the oil tank under the handlebars, lol......

irie
11-12-2007, 05:46 PM

It's not sarcasm.

I look after 3 x SXV550 - my race bike, my road bike and my wife's road bike.

I never remove the transmission oil level plug - it's pointless.

I simply drain and put in 525cc - always.

That's it.

:)

MickyC51
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
It's not sarcasm.

That's it.

I've always removed the level plug bolt and it is a pain. I actually changed the bolt so that I could safety wire it better. and the safety wiring is a pain. (As a tech guy at Loudon it would be embarrasing not to have it safety wired.) I think I'll try your method.

Micky Curry

stan23
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
It's not sarcasm.

That's it.

Sorry for misunderstandings! :)

I was able to do the oil change with the help of another member (thanks waxxer!)

Everything went smoothly, except for the initial burst of oil when I removed the drain plug from the oil tank and stupid me for running over a puddle of oil with my rear tire :bangwall:

Took it slow, and took about 1:10 from start to finish. Not too shabby.. I'm hoping i'll be a lot smoother down the road. :)

duc slayer
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
you can avoid the intial blast/burst of oil, if you drain the oil tank last ;)

waxxer
11-12-2007, 11:08 PM
you can avoid the intial blast/burst of oil, if you drain the oil tank last ;)

Interesting thought. We heated the bike up to remove the oil from the tank. Then we drained the sump. This is my normal protocal. We then pulled the filter, drained this area and primed with oil. We sealed it up filled the tank and ran the bike. The sight tube was spot on at half way after running around the block.

No doubt people have their own ritual. I like to remove the oil hot in order to purge any debris in the motor.

We did the same with the tranny. We leveled it off, poured in 525CCs then let it settle with the seep hole open. As soon as it started to drip we sealed her up and the bike was ready to go.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

rednotch91
11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
I have to use teflon tape on the drain plug of the oil tank or it will slowly drip. Pulling the sight plug on the gearbox is simple enough I would do it just to be sure you're getting the right amt. You don't have to remove the brake lever as some might say......

conman
11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I have to use teflon tape on the drain plug of the oil tank or it will slowly drip. Pulling the sight plug on the gearbox is simple enough I would do it just to be sure you're getting the right amt. You don't have to remove the brake lever as some might say......

well thats true, you dont HAVE to remove the rear brake lever but unless you have a LONG allen wrench, I would still suggest doing it. it isnt hard at all.

stan23
11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
I think the crush washer on the sump tank is at it's wear limit. I noticed some weeping this morning, and I gave it a little more tug. Next time, i'll put on some teflon tape along with a new crush washer.

Another newb question:

I noticed that I can still see oil in the level line even after letting the bike sit overnight.. Shouldn't most of the oil moved down to the crankcase?

duc slayer
11-13-2007, 02:34 PM
You don't have to remove the brake lever as some might say......

YOU SHOULD REMOVE IT, It took me all of 4 sec's to strip mine out.

and let me tell you it's a very fun place to try and tap/rethread and it was als o a treat for me to try and find the next size up (7mm?) so I had to go 2 larger ...ooooops

irie
11-13-2007, 05:36 PM
YOU SHOULD REMOVE IT, It took me all of 4 sec's to strip mine out.

and let me tell you it's a very fun place to try and tap/rethread and it was als o a treat for me to try and find the next size up (7mm?) so I had to go 2 larger ...ooooops

Exactly.

Don't ever remove it.

Problem solved.

duc slayer
11-13-2007, 06:24 PM
draining the oil tank last was first mentioned by orange (i believe), I 've only tried it once and it definitly works, but my normal routine is to drop all oil at one time. I just put the bike up on the lift, grab a couple of drain pans, remove all fill caps then drop the gearbox oil and then remove the bottom oil plug at the same time, then drop the oil tank plug and finally the oil filter cap and obviously remove the filter. generally I do this with the motor cold and let it sit over night or a least a good while (hour or two). And even though it may not be nessicary I always remove the rear brake peddle and gearbox weep hole bolt...it only takes about 30 sec's when you've got the right tools all laid out