PDA

View Full Version : Nera triple clamp question

spoonz
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
just fitting a Nera triple clamp to my factory but not sure what the 2 collars are for.
You can see them in the bag in the picture. I thought they might be to lower the clips on as this part sits higher than the standard part but then i would have thought they would supply longer bolts to match.

Any ideas ?

http://i9.tinypic.com/65zx5z7.jpg

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-05-2007, 02:54 PM
keyswitch spacers

spoonz
11-05-2007, 02:57 PM
keyswitch spacers

That was my first thought but they are half the diameter of the mounting bolts

IS RSVR
11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Yours looks like the nera clamp only different color..

http://www.simnet.is/factory/nera_triple_1.gif

spoonz
11-24-2007, 10:52 AM
They call it the dream edition which is the same as the Nera except for colour.
The spacers i mentioned in case anyone else gets one are to lower the clip ons as this triple clamp sits higher than the standard one.

You do not need any key switch spacing.

chad951
11-24-2007, 09:29 PM
The spacers i mentioned in case anyone else gets one are to lower the clip ons as this triple clamp sits higher than the standard one.

See below...

chad951
11-24-2007, 09:30 PM

Exactly, they are spacers for the two bolts that connect the clip-ons to the triple clamp (bottom of triple clamp). Use them if you do not wish to raise your handle bars.

Kid A
11-25-2007, 09:24 PM
So how much does it raise the clip-ons?
May be worth getting one for that benefit. I assume this part is also lighter than the original clamp?

spoonz
11-26-2007, 09:19 AM
So how much does it raise the clip-ons?
May be worth getting one for that benefit. I assume this part is also lighter than the original clamp?

it's about 100 grams lighter and 10mm higher clip on mounts if you don't use the spacers.

Kid A
11-26-2007, 05:51 PM
So these could be a good alternate to Variobars

spoonz
11-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Possibly but these are not so easy to get. I think Aprilia might have stopped making them.

chad951
12-01-2007, 02:38 PM

No way. The variobar risers raise your bars 60mm. 10mm is not even that noticeable. Trust me, I am running this triple clamp right now with no spacers while I wait on the risers to come in for my variobars and the riding position feels no different. It is a tad bit lighter in the hands. I did not have a chance to weigh it but I do have a spare so I will try and get around to that soon. It does make the bike look very trick though. Here's a pic:

http://i19.tinypic.com/81hhd88.jpg

According to Aprilia USA these triple clamps are no longer being manufactured and they are totally out of stock for good. Well, so they say. My local Aprilia dealer claims that they snagged the last 11 in the country over the summer. They were apparently sitting undocumented in the USA Aprilia parts warehouse. The European parts warehouse apparently did not have any just sitting around like we did. So they seem to be bone dry.

The name of the dealership is MotoItalia in Edwardsville, Illinois. Here is a link to the triple clamp in their store:
http://www.vespaedwardsville.com/eshopprod_cat_3485-34416_product_434281.Performance_Triple_Clamp.htm

They have them listed for $399 a piece on their web site but if you call them and tell them you saw my thread on the apriliafourm they should give you one for $325 plus shipping. If they won't give you one for that price tell them to go screw themselves. I do not know if they still have any in stock but a quick phone call would answer that question if you were interested.

:cheers:

backys
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
I've bought mine to from MotoItalia in Edwardsville thanks to an older post by Chad951.
They were very helpfull BUT:make sure that they will send it with USPS not UPS

Schu
12-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Definetely not from a nera

spoonz
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Definetely not from a nera

exact same part just anodised in a different colour and with an aprilia badge.

OZRS
12-04-2007, 06:47 PM
What is the thickness of the Nera triple clamp? Eg 20mm ????????

spoonz
12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
What is the thickness of the Nera triple clamp? Eg 20mm ????????

At which point ?

OZRS
12-05-2007, 11:28 PM
From the pictures it looks the same height (or thickness) all the way across. See the picture below. This is a clamp I have drawn up to get machined for my bike.

spoonz
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
From the pictures it looks the same height (or thickness) all the way across. See the picture below. This is a clamp I have drawn up to get machined for my bike.

It's 23mm at that point

OZRS
12-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks alot spoonz! I had gone with 22mm, so that's pretty darn close!