PDA

View Full Version : got smoke?

NJRSVR
11-05-2007, 12:54 PM
started the bike up yesterday. while its warming up i smell plastic burning. then the smoke starts pouring out. i shut the bike removed the right side fairing, lifted the tank & there it was. where i performed the brown wire mod. was all melted. now i need some suggestions on where to go from here. any help is greatly apprieciated. thanks in advance fellas.

jfryjfry
11-05-2007, 01:14 PM
looked, but couldn't find any posts about what you did to fix it....

if you strip back to clean wire, possibly using new wire between the old connectors, properly solder the wires together instead of using connectors, and do a quality job of sealing everything up, you shouldn't have a problem.

It seems a lot of people have had good luck soldering in new connectors of sorts, but I and many others just soldered them together. for me, it was a matter of not wanting any doubt the job was done right, and if I need to, I can just cut the wires apart and resolder if I absolutely have to get them apart.

DeBenGuzzi
11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
looked, but couldn't find any posts about what you did to fix it....

if you strip back to clean wire, possibly using new wire between the old connectors, properly solder the wires together instead of using connectors, and do a quality job of sealing everything up, you shouldn't have a problem.

It seems a lot of people have had good luck soldering in new connectors of sorts, but I and many others just soldered them together. for me, it was a matter of not wanting any doubt the job was done right, and if I need to, I can just cut the wires apart and resolder if I absolutely have to get them apart.

Cheers to that, but do the new bikes have this problem at all? or was it sorted in later models?? :confused:

ThisEndUp
11-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Coolant overflow tank got singed, eh?

You removed the connector from the stator to the rectifier......and wired it directly? what gauge wire? Any connectors ?

More info, Nicky Boy. More info.....

So your bike is down and out , while mine is making a comeback this weekend :rolleyes:

NJRSVR
11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
i used the same gauge wire. i have a strong feeling its the regulator rectifier. puttin out too much juice & fryin my wires. be careful this weekend john. u guys doing ur local track session on clinton rd?

ThisEndUp
11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
The wires melted...not any connectors? Wow. Sounds like you're going to have to check your electrics with a volt/ohm meter to see what damage was done. Bummer.

Yes, if the Aprilia Gods are smiling on me, I will be at the usual place :) with the usual guys :burnout:

With all the leaves on the road, it's going to be more of a put-put ride.....as long as I can get out on the bike, I'll be thrilled.

Let me know if you need a hand with your bike.

NJRSVR
11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
thanks alot john. i'll keep u posted. have a good ride & be careful