PDA

View Full Version : Evolutionize

oclv
11-09-2003, 11:32 AM
i am new to this site. i have been riding a 2000 zrx 1100 and really like the quick accelleration from 3000 all the way to 10,000. i can pass cars where few others can. went to the motorcycle show in san fran and fell in love with the tuono. talked at length with don lemelin at scuderia and john mark from aprilia. hopped on this site and appreciate getting the real world side of the bike and not the salesman spin. no one mentioned the flat spot between 3000 and 5000. lots on this thread about a tuner, evolutionize. sounds like they have it figured it out for the tuono. where are they and how do i contact them. how much can i expect to pay for their mods? and how much does it reduce fuel tank range? thanks for a great site. i ride mostly in the sierras, but once or twice a year i go over to the rockies to ride. i am looking for a bike that is great in the mountain corners , but is also able to eat up lots of what i call "get there miles" (getting across nevada and through utah at high speeds)oclv

Ricky J
11-09-2003, 12:17 PM
www.evoluzione.net

theImmoralist
11-09-2003, 12:52 PM
There are several threads going right now about how to get rid of the mid-range flat spot. Basically, to get rid of it completely you need a full system exhaust and a new chip or PCIII. The Akrapovic, Tigcraft, and Arrow dual exhausts with a good chip or PCIII with a custom map will all take care of it.

The Evoluzione race airbox is a good modification, and will give you several hp in the mid-range if you don't want to go for the full system. Evoluzione also has some other products that do good things for the bike, but they aren't all necessary.

How much the mid-range hole needs to be fixed is a matter of preference. It certainly doesn't make the bike unrideable as it comes from the dealer. It also depends on your riding style--where in the power band you like to ride. If you ride above 6K rpm most of the time you won't even notice it. It you ride around 5K then it is a bit of a problem coming out of corners as the engine feels kind of flat and then kicks in as the revs come up.

The Tuono sounds like a great bike for the type of riding you are talking about. It is great in tight mountain roads, and comfortable enough to travel 300-400 miles in a day without getting numb hands.

BTW, Don from Scuderia is a good guy and won't give you the "salesman spin." I've known him for a long time and he is always straightforward about the stuff that he's selling.

Tripdog
11-09-2003, 04:41 PM
I put on the Evo air box, Renegade High Mount Slip on, and the FP chip and I have smooth power from 3,000 up. I really don't think you really need a full system to flatten the dip. Before the Rene's, I had the RSV ti slip on and the chip and air box and no dip. Hmmm Chip and dip.
Trip

Demosthenes
11-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Hey there oclv,

check out what's available on this site... they have all you need to unleash your Tuono beast... :)

Cheers - Demosthenes :aussie:

Sixpack
11-09-2003, 07:21 PM
as of today, I've just completed putting on the Evo race air box kit, plus RSV "D" chip and titanium slip-on. The dip is still there, but just barely. Most people probably wouldn't even notice it anymore. Sounds like a full system would get rid of it entirely.

theImmoralist
11-10-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Tripdog
Before the Rene's, I had the RSV ti slip on and the chip and air box and no dip.

As I've explained in other posts, I dyno'ed my bike with this exact set up, RSC Ti slip-on, chip, and Evo race air box and still had a 5-7hp dip.

Riding the bike the dip wasn't too noticeable, but it clearly showed up on the dyno chart.

But that was just my experience Trip, with the chip I still had a dip.

11-10-2003, 03:41 PM
If I may throw my 2 cents in…when using terms like ‘flat spots’ or ‘dips’ in the acceleration/power curve, people may be using these terms to describe two different things.

The Tuono out of the box has a combustion stumble when throttling through 3500 rpm. This issue can be largely resolved with the right combination of parts and mechanical expertise (such as has been described in other posts on this Forum).

The Tuono with the ‘right combination of parts and mechanical expertise’ will throttle through 3500 without a noticeable stumble but will still show on a dyno read out a dip in the HP curve around (if I recall my dyno chart) 5000 rpm, however it is not a combustion stumble and you cannot really feel the dip in HP (least I can’t) like you can feel the stumble.

This dip in HP was present on the dyno read outs before and after the 3500 rpm stumble was cured. I discussed this HP dip with Ken at Evoluzione and he tells me that a good 2 into 2 system will flatten out and cure that dip to a large extent (I have the Aprilia race slip-on).

How much it flattens out, I’m not sure. If and when I ever get one of those systems I will dyno it to see the results. Perhaps someone on the Forum has and would share the results.

Michael

Sixtysix
11-10-2003, 08:24 PM
I am in the same boat, I am looking at the Tuono to replace a Suzuki 1200 Bandit I wrecked. From what I have read here (only a little so far) I am thinking first you 'unrestrict' the bike, then I am thinking of dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. (I won't ever need to go over 150;) ) To get some power down where I use it. If that doesn't work for me then I will have to go the airbox/filter/can/chip route for like $1000 US. Does this sound about right? I really don't like too loud a bike, what is the quietest can I can get that works with the Evo chip and airbox?

Tripdog
11-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by theImmoralist
As I've explained in other posts, I dyno'ed my bike with this exact set up, RSC Ti slip-on, chip, and Evo race air box and still had a 5-7hp dip.

Riding the bike the dip wasn't too noticeable, but it clearly showed up on the dyno chart.

But that was just my experience Trip, with the chip I still had a dip.
Damn, there you were with a chip and no dip--have a beer.
Trip.

thunderex
11-10-2003, 11:05 PM
oclv, i've got a zrx and a tuono. a 2000 1100. the zrx is mostly stock with only a slip-on and jet kit. i love the zrx. but the tuono is just a completely different personality. it's much edgier. what you will be familiar with is the low end power that you're used to on the zrx. it's also quite a bit taller but much lighter.

oclv
11-11-2003, 07:49 PM
since you have both, you can answer this question. my ZRX is also a 2000, 1100. i can pass cars in the mountains on even the shortest straight, and if i am in fourth, i don't need to go to third. (it is a 5 speed). will the Tuono be much slower because it is a V2 instead of a inline 4? its nice to go 160 when i am out on highway 50 going to idaho or colorado, but what i really care about is getting on it quickly out of corners, and passing in small spaces. i ride mostly in the mountains and up and down the coast on route 1, and i hate to be altered by a car in my way. thanks for all the feedback. oclv

ApexMolester
11-11-2003, 08:20 PM
they are awesome bikes with a dual exhaust system.

danomatic
05-16-2008, 10:50 PM
since you have both, you can answer this question. my ZRX is also a 2000, 1100. i can pass cars in the mountains on even the shortest straight, and if i am in fourth, i don't need to go to third. (it is a 5 speed). will the Tuono be much slower because it is a V2 instead of a inline 4? its nice to go 160 when i am out on highway 50 going to idaho or colorado, but what i really care about is getting on it quickly out of corners, and passing in small spaces. i ride mostly in the mountains and up and down the coast on route 1, and i hate to be altered by a car in my way. thanks for all the feedback. oclv

I threw my 06 ZRX1200 down a hill so i went to an 05 tuono. The zed is definatly a fast bike but the T is every bit as fast if not faster. It has vastly different power delivery from the strait 4 but now im used to it i can pull the same swift moves that were customary on the zed. the punchiest range for overtaking is just after 6000 (just beyond the lul) but im putting a aprilia race pipe and chip and evo air box on mine next week so ill see what differance that makes. PM me if you want any more comparison between the 2

veeman
05-17-2008, 07:09 AM
Thats good to hear that the Tuono compares well with a 1200 I4 .impressive they are:burnout: