PDA

View Full Version : SXV 4.5 stalls and won't crank

Falken Hawke
10-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Well, after 3 months I finally get to pick up my bike from the dealer. After somewhere around two miles, the engine stalls and when I try to start it, nothing happens. The instrument panel and lights are all on and the battery has been load tested and found good. The starter just doesn't seem to get power.

Aprilia had the dealer reroute the starter cables but the bike still does the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem or has any ideas about what's going on. Right now the dealer is going through the wiring harness and hasn't found anything since Tuesday. TIA

cal550b
10-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Well, after 3 months I finally get to pick up my bike from the dealer. After somewhere around two miles, the engine stalls and when I try to start it, nothing happens. The instrument panel and lights are all on and the battery has been load tested and found good. The starter just doesn't seem to get power.

Aprilia had the dealer reroute the starter cables but the bike still does the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this problem or has any ideas about what's going on. Right now the dealer is going through the wiring harness and hasn't found anything since Tuesday. TIA

i had a bike that did a similar thing it was a crack in the windings,but when nothing is getting to your starter, it has to be earth wire not connecting properly or the solenoid playing up on the fuses or the poles.try the red kill switch too.

SLORider
10-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Can you hear the starter relay (under the seat) clicking? That should rule out half the possibilities. If the relay is not energizing don't even worry about the starter motor yet. Check fuses, wires, etc.

A common starter problem is burned commutator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_%28electric%29) contacts. There will be a "dead" spot in the starter rotation. If the starter is stopped in this position it won't budge. Put the bike in gear and "bump" it backwards to engage the starter sprag clutch and move the starter rotor position. Then try to start.

cal550b
10-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Can you hear the starter relay (under the seat) clicking? That should rule out half the possibilities. If the relay is not energizing don't even worry about the starter motor yet. Check fuses, wires, etc.

A common starter problem is burned commutator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_%28electric%29) contacts. There will be a "dead" spot in the starter rotation. If the starter is stopped in this position it won't budge. Put the bike in gear and "bump" it backwards to engage the starter sprag clutch and move the starter rotor position. Then try to start.
but he says it runs then cuts out with no starter for a while.

Falken Hawke
10-30-2007, 04:35 AM
I called the service department today and they said that they are still going through the wiring harness. They've also said the recently replaced starter is still good and they've installed larger gauge battery cables.

I have this sinking feeling like I won't see the bike until sometime next year. If I'm lucky.

SLORider
10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
but he says it runs then cuts out with no starter for a while.
ahhh! gotcha. Okay, so does it correct when you turn off the key and reset it? Or, what makes it work again?

Falken Hawke
10-31-2007, 02:58 AM
ahhh! gotcha. Okay, so does it correct when you turn off the key and reset it? Or, what makes it work again?
A random passage of time/magic/act of (insert Deity of choice) seems to be effective...

I personally haven't been able to get it to start again although the service department has at least twice.