PDA

View Full Version : PCIII or chip

Nube
11-08-2003, 09:11 PM
If you get a PCIII would you still need a new chip?

kram
11-09-2003, 04:04 PM
No you dont, as the PCIII remaps after the factory ECU

Nube
11-09-2003, 05:48 PM
THANKS

Ed / AF1 Racing
11-09-2003, 08:36 PM
if you want to advance the timing, you will need a new chip. The PCIII does not alter igniton timing.....only the PCIIIr can, but it is not avail for Aprilia. Advancing the timing gives you more HP and better throttle response.

A PCIII only modifies the stock map in relation to throttle position and RPM. It takes the stock injector pulse from the ECU (generated from all the inputs into the ECU) and adds or subtracts to it based on TP and RPM. If your stock map is poor in terms of the data collected from the MAP sensors, IAT sensors, Water temp, Cam Postion sensor, then a PCIII can only do so much.....

Get a chip......

Nube
11-09-2003, 11:50 PM
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. This is all still pretty new to me, it's my first street bike and I've only got 625 miles on it.

theImmoralist
11-10-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Ed / AF1 Racing
if you want to advance the timing, you will need a new chip. The PCIII does not alter igniton timing.....Advancing the timing gives you more HP and better throttle response.

I posted my dyno findings about six months ago and incurred the wrath of the Almight Ed, so I write this with considerable trepidation and only to help our new friend Nube out. I think a PCIII and a good chip are both good ways to go. I did side-by-side dyno comparisons on my bike with a PCIII with custom map and a Factory Pro chip. The Factory Pro chip advances the ignition timing, while the PCIII does not.

Anyway, the dyno runs clearly showed that the PCIII gave a marginally better power curve on my bike. Slightly more max hp, and smoother throughout the entire power curve.

Either way you will be fine, and if you don't have a good shop that can make you a custom map, then a chip is probably the better way to go.