PDA

View Full Version : winter project - leaky cases?

mxjump
10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
so up here in the north its getting that time of year to trade in our two-wheeled rides for sleds (or dogsleds if your so inclined :P ) and so I've got time to put some work into the relationship with my high maintenance girlfriend April,,,,

my question is wether or not its time to fix the leaking cases (at the V's as mentioned in multiple threads (http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126416&highlight=case+halves+sealant))

she's got 3 races and a few months of road riding on her (about 5000km), and I've noticed no significant problems with the oil (no water, no excessive blowing since reroute, etc.), but I've got 5 months of time and I want to make sure I can ride her hard all of next year without a costly breakdown middle of the summer,,,

also, is there a tried and true method to deal with this yet? (o-ring, better sealant, high quality gasket, etc.)

as well,, any shops willing to get a motor sent to them and do the mods? My dealer is pretty useless,, and although I've done bottom ends on my KTM125SX I don't think I have the confidence to mess with a 550 twin.

ADVICE? help?...

amauri
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
The AMA Supermoto race season will be over for me in November, we will start-up again in March next year.

I'm going to take a few weeks off for vacation but will be looking to take in work to earn some cash in the off season.

You could send me your motor for a rebuild.

spencer
10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
MxJump: take him up on his offer, you both make out in the deal. Amauri makes some $$$ and you will have a motor you know was taken care of properly.

Spence

RXV_Poor
10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
MxJump: take him up on his offer, you both make out in the deal. Amauri makes some $$$ and you will have a motor you know was taken care of properly.

Spence

:plus:Sounds like good advise to me. I believe that some point I'll be doing the same.

duc slayer
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Amauri, let me know when you start scheduling work, i think I wanna do a rebuild this winter, That way I won't have to get it done mid season next year. Presently I've got 3100 mi

smstroben
10-25-2007, 01:33 PM
:plus: on amauri's work. youll be very satisfied.

mxjump
10-25-2007, 03:22 PM
so it looks like your the man for the job amauri,,,,,

now for details,, Will you be doing anything about the case leaking problem, or just rebonding it as per factory specs?

duc slayer
10-25-2007, 03:34 PM
The factory has changed the type of sealant used and I would have to think he'll hone the cases if there outta whack

red_leader
10-25-2007, 05:24 PM
I am attempting to read through ALL the posts on this forum, compile a list of everything that breaks on these bike, and post if we have a fix or not.

So far, it's actually a lot less dismal than I thought!

It seems like O-ringing the "V" and putting in an aftermarket oil pump seal is about all it needs for preventative maintenance. (Aside from a complete, to the book rebuild to fix any assembly issues.)

Hopefully next week I'll be done, and everyone can add their two cents.

duc slayer
10-25-2007, 05:43 PM
just as an fyi, I've got one of the first 550's (vin 00043 or the like) and haven't had any issue other than needing to loctite the flywheel bolts

mxjump
10-25-2007, 05:54 PM
from most reports simply rebonding the cases with the new bond doesn't seem to be a permanent fix (although it does seem to work for amauri),, I don't want to tear down every 20 hours and would like something that would last me the season,,,,,

so in a perfect world amauri would rebuild the motor and perform either irie's or cal_550's mods with the new bond to make it last longer,,,,

btw, any reports on either of those??

smstroben
10-25-2007, 07:05 PM
mine has held up for almost 2000 miles with no issues since the rebuilt. but it wasnt rebuilt because of leaking cases.

mxjump
10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
so maybe i should be posting this in the other thread dealing with this, but any reports on how well the two different case sealing mods held up??

cal550b
10-30-2007, 05:34 AM
hi guys ,i needed to know if mine was a fix so i striped nut and bolt and checked again with 4 race hours on it,i did make a small error but spotted before i had any problems with it, it was a wrong choice of a material ,that is now sorted,there is no wear at all showing on the engine other than one cam bucket with very minor pitting i do think these are of cheap quality and may be a replacement part for future rebuilds but will last long enough ,irie has used crf ones he will have to tell you if they wear any better than the ape ones.pressure is good i pressure tested to a much higher pressure than is needed with no issues,on my rebuild kits i have changed a great deal of the seals and rings along with bearings that will be a failing part in the near future.i am up to 4 flat out hours on my engine and its good,orange did mention a while back condensation was still a problem ,he is right ,it has been damp and cold hear for the last month so cold air on the tank will increase the condensation,i measured about 1 teaspoon an hour which is a lot if you dont have the catch can distillery fitted as we do ,it will soon cause a bit of internal damage,i feel i have sorted all the major issues with the help of everyone on this site with this engine and can start to lift the performance a little,i like to take my time on problematic engines and make them work correctly first,i will be popping over to see stuart (alice)and he can do his little bit of magic with the mapping ,this will also show up any of my internal mods (blue printing) that i have done,i will let you know how the whole package performs in detail,:)just to add for those who are sick,i have gone from almost selling her to loving this bike ,i never thought i would i am not that type.

irie
10-30-2007, 06:05 AM
from most reports simply rebonding the cases with the new bond doesn't seem to be a permanent fix (although it does seem to work for amauri),, I don't want to tear down every 20 hours and would like something that would last me the season,,,,,

so in a perfect world amauri would rebuild the motor and perform either irie's or cal_550's mods with the new bond to make it last longer,,,,

btw, any reports on either of those??

Mine's fine - no problems with it at all. I think it's probably a bit over-engineered but I like it like that. I'm also using a 1.3 bar radiator cap.

I initially get some (condensation) water out when the oil has got hot, but I get no further water after that.

After talking with a Cosworth engineer I've now changed my engine breathing to what he recommended. I'll post about this at a later date but it involves baby milk bottles, hypodermic syringes, silicon tubing, plastic tubing, fuel filters, and cable/zip ties! ;)

mxjump
10-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Mine's fine - no problems with it at all. I think it's probably a bit over-engineered but I like it like that. I'm also using a 1.3 bar radiator cap.

I initially get some (condensation) water out when the oil has got hot, but I get no further water after that.

After talking with a Cosworth engineer I've now changed my engine breathing to what he recommended. I'll post about this at a later date but it involves baby milk bottles, hypodermic syringes, silicon tubing, plastic tubing, fuel filters, and cable/zip ties! ;)

thanks guys,,,,,, excited to hear about that one lol

mxjump
10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
so with 3 races, ~5000km, and no noticeable problems is it time for a rebuild?? Or could i put it off till 10,000km and another few races/trackdays?

cal550b
10-31-2007, 05:55 AM
so with 3 races, ~5000km, and no noticeable problems is it time for a rebuild?? Or could i put it off till 10,000km and another few races/trackdays?
sorry but from what i have found on the standard engines no way rebuild it, but strip every nut and bolt inspect clean and locktight and change every thing you are not sure of and most of all take your time,there is a large amount of tooling needed and may turn out more expensive than getting someone to do it for you,but even harder is finding someone who is capable ,this is not a normal engine to build you really need to learn from your mistakes type of engine,its so easy to get it wrong .