PDA

View Full Version : stock rim weights

duc slayer
10-23-2007, 05:38 PM
anybody happen to weigh their stock 550 rim's, I've been drooling over these

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=5150

and wondering what the weight savings would be, or what would be the best company for the lightest wheels

OZRS
10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Now they are sexy! that Marchesini front is only 400g heavier than the OZ RSVR factory front and the rear is exactly the same weight!

If you wanted to go lighter you could go forged Mag or the BST 7 spokes, but i think forged alloy would be the best comprimise for durability, cost and weight.

uberchicken
10-23-2007, 09:31 PM
duc slayer, you suck! Why did you have to post that link!!!

(Saying to myself) Just say no Mike, just say no.....

shanes
10-23-2007, 09:42 PM
i think the Alpina's look heaps better

Dieter
10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Weights without brake disks: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123125&page=2

PainterDude
10-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Hey Duc,

I have installed a few sets of these now, just recently on a 550...I can't tell you exact weights but they do feel lighter than the stock wheel...Marchesini claims 30% lighter & 70% stronger, My guess is thats pretty close...Bike feels like it accelerates faster & definatley changes direction faster...Bike feels more planted & they look sick, Actually anodized black....Cool...

OZRS
10-24-2007, 01:40 AM
So that's stock
FR 3.77kg
RR 5.6kg

Marchesini
FR 4.0kg
RR 5.4kg

So the only benefit is stiffness (other than asthestic), unless the forged alloy has a lower inertia?

irie
10-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Alpinas weigh about the same as the Marchesinis.

The main weight saved is the inner tubes.

Thanks, can work out the weight differences from what you've said.

I happen to have a stock rear inner tube in the garage which I've just weighed - it's 1040gm @ 28 gm/oz = 37oz = 2.3lb

So the Marchesini is lighter than the stock wheel by less than the weight of the inner tube which is no longer required which is almost exactly how much lighter a 5.5" Alpina is than the stock rear plus inner tube.

Talon hubs with Excel rims weigh 3.5" front 4.0kg and 5.5" rear 5.6kg.

(iirc) BST carbon fibre SM wheels weigh 3.5" front 3.4kg and 5" rear 4.1kg

Update: The 7 spoke Carbon Fibre BST supermoto wheels weigh 2.45kg front and 3.2kg rear (5").

Alpina wheels weigh about 4.0kg front and 5.4kg rear (5") There are some lighter racing versions - I have a 5" rear weighing 4.8kg

duc slayer
10-24-2007, 11:19 AM
If you wanted to go lighter you could go forged Mag or the BST 7 spokes

Ok so who makes the forged Mag's, cuz I doubt I can get myself to part with enough $$$$ to go for the BST's and personally I don't dig the Alpina's

Dieter
10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Alpina wheels weigh about 4.0kg front and 5.4kg rear (5") There are some lighter racing versions - I have a 5" rear weighing 4.8kg

Racing-Version (Giraudo at Freiburg (Germany)):

OZRS
10-24-2007, 10:36 PM
What was the spoke material?

DKM
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
ahhhh fook me (british saying??) Don't show me that. I have those exact same wheels on my bike.

Dieter
10-24-2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry, i dont know the spoke material.
DKM, you cant have those exact same wheels on your bike.
These are specialized Version from Aprilia Racing.
The jumps at this race were also extreme.

Here you can see Manolito Welink (www.race-styles.com Team) with his Aprilia at this race:

PainterDude
10-25-2007, 02:39 AM
So that's stock
FR 3.77kg
RR 5.6kg

Marchesini
FR 4.0kg
RR 5.4kg

So the only benefit is stiffness (other than asthestic), unless the forged alloy has a lower inertia?

Don't forget, Much easier to clean...

PainterDude
10-25-2007, 03:12 AM

I'll see your Alpina, & Raise you a BST... The wheel broke, before he crashed, it caused the crash..... So....does anyone have a pic of a forged aluminum Marchesini like this????

RXV_Poor
10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
I'll see your Alpina, & Raise you a BST... The wheel broke, before he crashed, it caused the crash..... So....does anyone have a pic of a forged aluminum Marchesini like this????

Is he ok? That looks real expensive and painful.

PainterDude
10-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Is he ok? That looks real expensive and painful.

The rear wheel actually caused the accident, it came appart under power exiting turn 10 at Thunder Hill here in CA....The spokes seperated from the rim & tossed him into a Knarlly tank slapper & eventual low side at 80mph...He was OK, Bike not so OK.... They can have those carbon wheels, I don't care how much weight they save....

RXV_Poor
10-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Turn 10 at TH, is that down hill left hander on the back side of the track behind the pits?

gunzz
10-27-2007, 02:33 PM
as completely sick looking the bst wheels are , i wouldnt ride on them for any amount of money, do a search and youll find lots of these stories.
i wish to god the carbon wheel was a real possibility on an mc but the tendency for them to fail catastrophically is enough to keep a thinking man away from them
mag or forged is the only way to go, bending wheels are inconvenient, shattering wheels are another story
carrozzeria is a company to look out for, mag wheels at good prices, nice looking too, but the word on them is they are having trouble with manufacturing (go figure...making them in china) seems little 12yo old chinese girls cant make a consistent wheel after all
if they get that sorted the wheels will be nice

cal550b
10-27-2007, 02:59 PM
what is the alternative as in tubeless kits,has anyone just o ringed and sealed the rims?i would like to here of some attempts .

duc slayer
10-27-2007, 03:21 PM
are you saying just o-ring the spokes on the stockers and see whats what??

WATTY
10-27-2007, 03:26 PM
what is the alternative as in tubeless kits,has anyone just o ringed and sealed the rims?i would like to here of some attempts .

talon now offer a sealing service for stock wheels they use a resin band around the spoke area

cal550b
10-28-2007, 04:00 AM
are you saying just o-ring the spokes on the stockers and see whats what??

yes ,but more like washers than o rings there would be too much flex on o rings,i do know of some motor crossers just taping the whole rim up,its not a permanent solution but gets them through a race or two.

irie
10-28-2007, 06:25 AM
talon now offer a sealing service for stock wheels they use a resin band around the spoke area

I believe it's an aviation fuel tank sealing system.

cal550b
10-28-2007, 02:52 PM
I believe it's an aviation fuel tank sealing system.

i wonder if its the same stuff that you buy when fixing an old tank.i restored a norton for a customer last year and the inside of the tank was pure rust ,i used this red treacle type stuff to seal a new coating inside the tank ,worked fine and dyed red fuel for free too.

duc slayer
10-28-2007, 04:18 PM
to the best of my knowledge it would definately be different stuff, well if your tank sealing kits are the same as ours. I've used a 3 part system from Kreem, several times, 3 different bottles of varying solutions. 1 to clean, 1 to caot and 1 to seal. But I believe the stuff Irie is referring to would be the stuff used in a military application (well I'm sure it's used through out the aviation industry). Th emilitary stuff will seal it's self up if a bullet or fragment passes through the tank (the tank has a liner around it with this slime type stuff)

I think anyway

cal550b
10-29-2007, 04:52 AM
hey 2 fish in a tank ,one says to the other ,how do you drive this fooking thing:cheers:

work_moto
10-29-2007, 05:42 AM
Speak to mark (brokenlegs) on VD he will sort a tubeless setup with your existing wheels.

Cheap too. Most of the top racers have used his services.

cal550b
10-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Speak to mark (brokenlegs) on VD he will sort a tubeless setup with your existing wheels.

Cheap too. Most of the top racers have used his services.
he was stood next to us at teeside too,never thought.

work_moto
10-29-2007, 08:49 AM
he was stood next to us at teeside too,never thought.

Yeah, i beleive he uses some kind of tape and silicon. Allows the spokes to be adjusted and seems to work a treat.

I think Alice is currently running wheels prepp'd by Mark