PDA

View Full Version : 04 RSV1000R Blown Header pipe

mille_mas
10-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I have recently traded my beloved 04 HM plant blade in for my long fancied V twin of choice, an 04 RSV1000R with a nice pair of Titanium Akropovic SP cans fitted, and after just three days of owning her and about 180 miles bang, this happens:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.maslin/RSV/pipe.jpg

This is a pic of the header pipe from the rear cylinder. The seam weld has blown about 3 inches along and the pipe peeled open like a tin can:WTF:

Have been reading about the different maps that can be uploaded to the ecu, is this facility only avaliable at the dealer or do independant tuners have the necessary hardware and software to do this as i think it needs setting up properly to reduce the backfiring and popping on overrun as that wont help the headers one bit.

Any advice mucheous appreciatedus:cheers:

Gorf
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
With open cans you have to make sure to update to "map 2". Your local Aprilia dealer can do it with an Axeone device. Do you know if that had been done to your bike yet with the new cans?

That's a real shame about the exhaust header. Hopefully you don't end up with a warped valve or anything worse.

mille_mas
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Dunno, but i have recently bumped into a guy who bought my old blade and he rides with the guy that traded in the mille i have bought so i will ask the question:)

The bike is back at Arnolds in Loughborough having a replacement pipe fitted under warranty, i shall see if they have any history aswell.

Not before i had bandaged it with 4 large jubile clips and a steel wrap, and then done a 190 mile ride the next day, runs better than ever with the bandage. First time out on it after buying i was getting a lot of fumes when stationary and two tanks of fuel were both only 68/69 miles to a tank. Since bandaging it i got 92 miles before fuel light and no fumes so i think it was cracked when i picked it up.

Theory: If the header was leaking then the exhaust gas passing the lambda sensor would be weak so the ecu would be over fuel the engine, causing excessive backfire and popping on overrun putting even more strain on a weak header, and eventually blowing it open and cause the engine to return very poor MPG, please correct me if i'm wrong?

Poussin
11-25-2007, 07:15 AM
Same for me.

During my last track day, I heared more and more "popping" at deceleration.

Inspecting the bike this morning, the seam weld of the rear exhaust pipe is fully open.

I'll post some pics as soon as I succeed to remove the headers :bangwall::bangwall::bangwall: (reading other threads on this topic, I don't understand how some guys need only 45 minutes to remove all the header system. I must be retard or smth like that)

Edit :

http://www.rsvfactory.ovh.org/image/Defaut_collecteur_1.jpg

http://www.rsvfactory.ovh.org/image/Defaut_collecteur_2.jpg

spoonz
11-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Dunno, but i have recently bumped into a guy who bought my old blade and he rides with the guy that traded in the mille i have bought so i will ask the question:)

The bike is back at Arnolds in Loughborough having a replacement pipe fitted under warranty, i shall see if they have any history aswell.

Not before i had bandaged it with 4 large jubile clips and a steel wrap, and then done a 190 mile ride the next day, runs better than ever with the bandage. First time out on it after buying i was getting a lot of fumes when stationary and two tanks of fuel were both only 68/69 miles to a tank. Since bandaging it i got 92 miles before fuel light and no fumes so i think it was cracked when i picked it up.

Theory: If the header was leaking then the exhaust gas passing the lambda sensor would be weak so the ecu would be over fuel the engine, causing excessive backfire and popping on overrun putting even more strain on a weak header, and eventually blowing it open and cause the engine to return very poor MPG, please correct me if i'm wrong?

If your bike was on Map2 then the Lamda sensor readings are not used for fueling. I do know that the Aprilia runs poorly without back pressure such as when exhaust packing is blown so that might explain poor running if there was a crack.

Even if it was on Map2 it could have been an old version so do get it checked.
It's not unlown for the rear header to glow red so it does get very hot.