PDA

View Full Version : Hand gaurd suggestions

kimzx1000r
10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
RXV 550 what do you guys recomend for hand gaurds? Does anyone know who makes the handlebars on this bike? One really sore little finger!

OZRS
10-22-2007, 09:04 PM
i have barkbusters with the triple clamp mounts. I had the bike fall of the stand recently and there wasn't even a scratch on them.

soyrico
10-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I just installed the Cycra Probend Racer Kit with Triple Clamp Mounts. (http://store.cycraracing.com/trclmopr.html) The Kit comes with two sets of inserts for the pro taper and fatty bars and mounts to the top triple. I still had to drill out the hole to a 9/16 diameter to fit the screw inserts for the bars. Was a bitch but worth the effort. I can ride my RXV 450 with nob tires on the street and it doesn't kill my hands anymore. They look and feel very nice.

the only thing you may want to do is buy longer bolts for the triple to mount the triple clamps.I used the stock ones for now and they work but I think I should get longer ones just in case.

If you get it, get the kit with the side mounts....NOT the front.

http://store.cycraracing.com/trclmopr.html

RXV_Poor
10-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I use the Cycra with Bonz top clamp bar mount. I allows more leeway for cables and I've also made a bracket to mount my dash and switch for heated grips.

SLORider
10-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Cycra with triple clamp mount (haven't looked at Bonz mount). Solid as rock---at least they didn't break or spin when my bike hit rock HARD. Don't get the clamp-on type, they will spin.

shanes
10-23-2007, 12:48 AM
Cycra with triple clamp mount (haven't looked at Bonz mount). Solid as rock---at least they didn't break or spin when my bike hit rock HARD. Don't get the clamp-on type, they will spin.

thats what they are supposed to do while taking the impact , the force of the impact has to go somewhere and if they are bolted up to the top clamp, they will break it , i have seen it happen
stick with the bar mounted ones we use the acerbis as they have more room and fit over the radial caliper no problem

SLORider
10-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Sounds good. I've learned something. However, I've seen my buddy's clamp guards rotate and break levers. Mine have protected my levers many times. My bike rolled downhill into rocks VERY HARD and landed on the bar end Saturday. Only damage was Cycra replaceable plastic.

I would rather save my levers and prevent being stuck many times versus a broken clamp one time. Also, I would estimate my bars would have bent on at least two occasions with the clamp-mount guards, so they have saved that damage as well.

Maybe the clamp-mounts are better for one application versus another (road vs. dirt?) -- I like the Cycras, but I'm open to more discussion, eh? :)

RZRob
10-23-2007, 01:17 AM
I've got the Acrebis bar mounts. I don't think mine were the official "Supermoto" versions they released after I'd gotten mine. Also, I had to grind the special wedge bolt contraption to fit it in my bars. I seem to think I was given special bar clamps too due to the bars' O.D.. I like the look and fit on these. Also, they don't strike me as capable of spinning up in a fall due to the clamp and the end cap are on different axis' of the bars (due to the bend of the bars).

RZ Rob

RXV_Poor
10-23-2007, 02:01 AM
I had the Acerbis hand guards and they worked well but I couldn't get over the feeling that my hands we cramped and my hand did get hit by brush a few times.

I switched to Cycra hand guards and I like them much better. They have more hand protection for off road and I don't feel as cramped.

If you are looking for a more minimalist approach try Fastway/Pro Moto Billet.

http://www.promotobillet.com/

QroMexicoEnduro
10-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I use the acerbis multiplo, bar maunt. I think they are roomy and the bend they have where they fit the grip, is for me very useful. I have not try the cyrca.
I thought that the idea of the hand gards (at least of road) was to absorb hits and protect your hands AND the levers. I mount them not to thight so that when I fall (and I do very often) after getting the big hit, they rotate and with this, I do not bend the bars, nor break the levers. I have not had a broken lever since I use them. Only my expirience.:rolleyes:

camaros67s
10-23-2007, 04:58 PM
One more for cyrca. I had one of the bar end wedges fit fine and one I had to grind a little bit. They are not crash tested but I like them.

duc slayer
10-23-2007, 05:24 PM
Acrebis and I switched to the Renthal Fatbars, forget which bend, and if you use the staock bars with the Acrebis you will have to grind the inside of your bars to get the wedge piece in or do what RZ did