PDA

View Full Version : Rekluse Oops

RXV_Poor
10-20-2007, 02:51 PM
So the Rekluse clutch install isn't idiot proof but it is close. I will say that in my defense that I finished this at 1 AM the night prior to going riding and I had 3 bikes torn apart in my garage that we we were working on. This should guaranty a screw up somewhere. This was mine.

I guess when I had the bike laying on it side the clutch arm slid up and I didn't notice it until I was out riding. It lost some tranny oil but I don't think that it hurt anything. I'm going to tear it apart next.

RXV_Poor
10-20-2007, 02:59 PM
After taking the tension off of the arm, I was able to pull the clutch arm out. I think that's bad.

I'm pulling apart the clutch next. In retrospect I should have noticed this right off the bat because the clutch lever didn't work for shit. Gee I wonder why. It seems that the push rod end sits in that indent.

I didn't test the bike at all until I went riding. That was dumb and I earned the extra work.

work_moto
10-20-2007, 03:23 PM
I had a rekluse on my old yzf450

The clutch lever doesn't work at all, it just flapped around. You can buy an extra rekluse kit that has a spring up on the clutch lever so you can still operate the manual clutch.

I was really impressed with it but now i've got an STM in my sxv450 i've realised that the rekluse is good for enduro bikes only.

RXV_Poor
10-20-2007, 03:31 PM
I did one on my KTM last week and it worked fine. It had the same feel as you described and work great.

work_moto
10-20-2007, 03:48 PM
With the hydraulic clutch?

irie
10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I tried a Revloc clutch on my CRF450 in 2003. It broke my clutch basket and trashed my clutch in no uncertain way, and I had all sorts of fun and games getting my money back. Which I finally did after I quoted their advertising back at them (they told me it couln't be used for 'track' use! :rolleyes:)

Avoid.

RXV_Poor
10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
With the hydraulic clutch?

No real feel but it didn't flop around.

RXV_Poor
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
My buddy Doug and I pulled the clutch back apart and fixed the problem. Reindicating the clutch arm was the issue. We also added the red spring (Which Cyborg suggested.) and I liked the feel better. Then I topped off the oil and it worked fine with just a little pull when 1st gear is in gauged, pull in the clutch and it was fine. RPM is set at 2100 for now.

cyborg
10-21-2007, 03:12 AM
My buddy Doug and I pulled the clutch back apart and fixed the problem. Reindicating the clutch arm was the issue. We also added the red spring (Which Cyborg suggested.) and I liked the feel better. Then I topped off the oil and it worked fine with just a little pull when 1st gear is in gauged, pull in the clutch and it was fine. RPM is set at 2100 for now.

Hey RXV_Poor, if your's is the Rekluse zStart-Pro, the the clutch lever works normally just above engage. Make sure to read the instructions closely. I have beaten my zStart-Pro mercilessly in all kinds of terrain and temps and it has taken all the abuse without a whimper. Good stuff.

soyrico
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Hey Cyborg or RXV_poor, I took my RXV450 out for the first time in 4 months since my ACL surgery. What a blast it was to ride again. The only thing though is I stalled the bike at least five times in one day mainly going down steep dirt hills. The problem I'm having is trying to use compression breaking with a little rear break then the bike stalls on me if I don't feather the clutch quick enough. The bike is running perfect so the problem is most likely me. My question to you guys is, was the Rekluse zStart-Pro worth the investment? I am thinking about getting one. Where did you guys buy yours from?

RXV_Poor
03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Hey Cyborg or RXV_poor, I took my RXV450 out for the first time in 4 months since my ACL surgery. What a blast it was to ride again. The only thing though is I stalled the bike at least five times in one day mainly going down steep dirt hills. The problem I'm having is trying to use compression breaking with a little rear break then the bike stalls on me if I don't feather the clutch quick enough. The bike is running perfect so the problem is most likely me. My question to you guys is, was the Rekluse zStart-Pro worth the investment? I am thinking about getting one. Where did you guys buy yours from?

Yes I believe it is. I also bought the Rekluse to help with the stalling. To me it makes the bike easier to ride but you can still stall the bike, you just have to work at it. Like trying to climb a hill in 4th gear with out a running start because you forgot the bike was in 4th gear (Yes I'm an idiot).

cyborg
03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey soyrico,

YES! The zStart-Pro auto clutch has been worth every penny and then some. No way could I be convinced to go back to a regular clutch, especially for offroad work. I liked it so much I got one for my KTM990!

I bought mine direct from Rekluse http://www.rekluse.com/

but check on their website for their dealers and they might have one near you.

RXV_Poor
03-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey soyrico,

YES! The zStart-Pro auto clutch has been worth every penny and then some. No way could I be convinced to go back to a regular clutch, especially for offroad work. I liked it so much I got one for my KTM990!

:plus:I have one on order for my KTM 950 ADV also.

Blazing Saddle
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I did the exact same thing installing mine. After a couple of tries I could not seem to get the clutch rod in far enough to make all the parts fit. Finally the third time seemed to be the charm and I buttoned her up. A couple of nights later I noticed the clutch cable at the case in an extreme angle, then noticed the actuation arm sticking out just like yours. Luckly I did not ride it yet so I took at apart for the fourth time and now all seems well. I am hoping all the ice and snow will be gone by next weekend so I can ride it. I got a killer deal on mine at the dealer expo in Indy last month.

soyrico
03-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey soyrico,

ok...I'm going to order one. I read your thread hear and on the ADV web site and it just seem like something I need. Although getting used to it seems to be the issue. Compression breaking is key to my style of ridding and having to blip the throttle going down hill just before hauling ass into a turn to engage compression seems like suicide almost! who knows....maybe its not that bad.

SLORider
03-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I bought a Rekluse zStart that I am likely selling BRAND NEW if anyone is interested. Still in box, etc. Sorry to post an "ad".

I am REALLY tempted to install this thing and I've heard nothing but good from cyborg. However, I seem to enjoy the "challenge" of using the clutch and I'm thinking I can probably still sell it at not much of a loss brand new.

The ride I really should have it for is next month--Moab, Utah. Very technical and difficult terrain. If I can't get a decent price for it, then I'll probably go with it as it will be very nice out there.

Most of my riding is sand, though, and it's not a major necessity in life for sand riding.

PM me. -Kevin

cyborg
03-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I bought a Rekluse zStart that I am likely selling BRAND NEW if anyone is interested. Still in box, etc. Sorry to post an "ad".

I am REALLY tempted to install this thing and I've heard nothing but good from cyborg. However, I seem to enjoy the "challenge" of using the clutch and I'm thinking I can probably still sell it at not much of a loss brand new.

The ride I really should have it for is next month--Moab, Utah. Very technical and difficult terrain. If I can't get a decent price for it, then I'll probably go with it as it will be very nice out there.

Most of my riding is sand, though, and it's not a major necessity in life for sand riding.

PM me. -Kevin

You'll be sooooorrrryyyyyy http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/lol8.gif
No way I would give up mine, especially for the tight technical stuff.

olepoop
03-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Slo did you buy the intire kit with the clutch basket? Sheet you got it put it on and check it out first,then if you prefer the std clutch someone else would be glad to purchase the kit from you,hint hint.:cheers:

SLORider
03-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I bought the full $779 kit with everything. I'd really like it in Moab, but what would be the resale value of a used Rekluse vs. brand new in box? Cyborg really got Rekluse dialed-in and they sent me the same springs and tungsten ball bearings that cyborg is very happy with. Even better, Rekluse now includes the CRF friction plates and longer clutch cover bolts so you don't strip out holes when the clutch cover spacer goes in. Rekluse has a fat gasket for a spacer, but the AF1 metal spacer sold for the slipper clutch is much nicer. I bought that as well.

cyborg-- It just comes down to whether installing it for two rides is worthwhile. A wobbler, but I've always been able to get my bike in a lot of crazy places. I'm more worried about removing the Ti exhaust that is a rock magnet before it gets flattened.

Scaryfast77
03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I tried a Revloc clutch on my CRF450 in 2003. It broke my clutch basket and trashed my clutch in no uncertain way, and I had all sorts of fun and games getting my money back. Which I finally did after I quoted their advertising back at them (they told me it couln't be used for 'track' use! :rolleyes:)

Avoid.I used one of the Revloc Pro Series Auto Clutches in my Dads 2008 KTM 300XC at the Denver AMA Endurocross this last fall. Worked like a champ, no problems at all. It worked just like a normal clutch except you didn't use it when you started or stopped and the bike didn't stall if you fell over. I was doing MX style starts with it too with no problems!