PDA

View Full Version : Post your set-ups here!!!

scootnfast
11-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

I was thinking that it might help people determine what they want to buy for upgrades if they had a good idea of what everyone else is doing, that is, what seems to work good for everyone else.

Please note, all the speeds following are my speedo readings, not actual speeds. But you will see the differances I achieved from the parts.

Stock (derestriced by dealer when I bought it) - my SR-50 ditech would go around 40... 45Max!

Now I am going about 65-68MPH... 72MPH is the fastest I have ever reached!!! I also have very strong and constant acceleration all the way to 65 MPH!!!

My set up is as follows with the price I paid and where I got it from:

Gianelli NRX exhaust - $170 @ www.mototek.com
Malossi 70cc big bore kit - $375 @ www.mototek.com
Polini variator - $80 @ AF1 Racing
Polini Racing Clutch - $80 @ AF1 Racing
Malossi Kevlar Belt - $30 @ AF1 Racing
Malossi Carbon Reed Kit .35mm reed - $30 @ AF1 Racing
Malossi White Contra Spring - $17 @ AF1 Racing
6.4 Gram Roller weight - Came with the variator
Malossi 15/40 rear gear set - $80 @ AF1 Racing
NGK Platinum spark plug - $15 @ AF1 Racing

Well that is my current set up... Now this is what I got out of each performance wise:

I started with the most important thing, the exhaust and roller weights. After I installed the exhaust and 6 gram roller weights that came with it, I went from 45MPH max to about 53MPH Max... But I had a dead spot from 30-45MPH.

I then changed to a red contra spring... I had really good luck with the heavier spring. I now had great acceleration from start to top end.

Next I bought a new clutch. I purchased a top performance clutch from mototek.com... :gunner: THIS CLUTCH SUCKS BAD!!! Don't waist your money! It is exactly like the stock clutch, except it has larger pads on it. There is no way to fine tweak this clutch, and chaging the springs is a pain in the but!

I then bought the polini racing clutch from AF1 Racing. This clutch ROCKS!!! :p: I love it! It is very easy to change your engaging RPM by just turning a screw... And you can very finely tune at what rpm you want your clutch to engage!!! My opinion is it is well worth the money. However, this will not increase your performance AT ALL!!! It simply enables you to determine when you want the clutch to engage!

I then bought the carbon reed kit... Again, my opinion is save your money. :mad: I tried all three different thicknesses and couldn't tell a differance in performance between the three.

Next I bought the polini variator. This didn't increase my top end at all, but it gave me much smoother and more constant acceleration.

I then purchased the rear end gears. I was hoping that this was going to give me a higher top end, but I barely saw any increase. I was now reaching around 55-57MPH Max! My opinion is that the 50cc motor just doesn't have enough torque to push the scooter any faster than the gearing already on the bike makes it go. However, I was able to hold my higher speeds better. Acceleration was really uneffected. I should also mention that if you have a big bore kit, I think the gear kit is a MUST HAVE!!!

Then it was time for the big buy... The big bore kit. I have to say I was a bit dissapointed with it at first. I did see a rather large increase in accleleration, but my top end only went to about 62MPH Max... For $375 :eek: , I hardly thought it was worth the money. I tried changing my weight from heavier to lighter and I just couldn't get it to go faster... Then I changed my contra spring to a white (Lighter duty) spring. This made a huge differance!!! I feel that this is because the rear puly is partially controlled by torque. As more torque is applied to the rear wheel, the pully comes back together forcing you into a lower gear ratio. Well since the 70cc motor generates more torque, I think that in combination with the red spring, I was never reaching the highest gear ratio. So once I changed the spring, I also had to go to a lighter roller weight. And now I get a much higher top end, and I actually have better acceleration!!! I still think I may need to go to an even lighter roller weight, but for now I am really happy with my set up.

Then I went back and tried my carbon reeds again. And as I said earlier, don't waist your money. I simply did not see any performance differance between the three different sizes even with the big bore kit installed.

I also purchased the kevlar belt and a new spark plug when I installed the big bore kit... I am not sure if these are really required, but I felt that since I was going to a larger bore and more torque, I had better go to a stronger belt. The spark plug was just a matenance thing.

Well I hope that will help others when shopping for thier performance parts. and I hope others will follow suit and post there upgrades and performance gains also!!!:D

TiminIndy
11-07-2003, 11:19 PM
I've got an `01 SR50 Ditech; 1200 miles, and as far as I know, it's all stock--although I bought it used with 400 miles 2 months ago. Of course it's de-restricted, and I'm pretty happy with the speed, but I was considering some minor mods like a pipe or a variator/ springs/change roller weights--but only if it's gonna be worth the $$ and hassle--and I definitely don't want to risk anything that would affect reliability (It's my only transpo). I'm fairly new to all this, so I'd probably pay someone to do most things, other than maybe putting the pipe on or something.

I'm only about 165 pounds, and I'd be more interested in acceleration than top end, although a little more wouldn't be bad either. Couple of questions:

1) What is the weight on the stock rollers?

2) What do you weigh, Scootnfast?

3) Any suggestions/ what should I expect?

4) What kind of tires do you all run? (I just put Conti Zippy 1's on mine.)

phidauex
11-07-2003, 11:54 PM
'01 SR50 DiTech..

I bought it with 260 miles on it as a dealer demo. The dealer had been using it to test out new parts, and had equipped it with the following parts, in addition to being fully derestricted.

Malossi Kevlar Belt
Malossi Fly Clutch
Gianelli NRX Pipe
White contra-spring
6.5g roller weights

I believe they got their parts from mototek.com originally.

The performance was quite good as I got it. It went about 55mph (as indicated) on flat surface (faster downhill and in full tuck), and had smooth acceleration through the whole speed range.

After a while, at around 1500mi, I developed a serious hole around 40mph. The hole got worse and worse until the scooter couldn't even make it over 40. So I put in a fresh white contra spring. Turned out my contra spring had lost some of its 'spring'. The replacement spring fixed things up quite nice.

Then I tried putting in some 6.0g weights, which made a very nice difference. The change was subtle, but my top speed went up a hair, to about 57mph on flat surface, and the acceleration was a bit better than it had been before. I wasn't making more power, of course, but I was using it a bit more efficiently.

At the same time I fitted an NKG platinum spark plug. No performance change, but the original was needing replacement anyway.

I ordered the spring, plug and weights from AF1 racing.

Then, for non-performance mods, I moved the front turn signals down to the reflectors next to the headlight instead of being in the american-spec lollypops on the handlebars. Then I cut off my rear fender and made a little eliminator kit/license plate bracket to hold the plate, It even has LED illumination for the plate.

Then I painted the rear hugger, and the lower side panels (I'm not sure what they are called, the parts right next to where your feet stand, on the sides of the battery compartment). They are now a nice metallic blue.

Then I installed a headlight modulator of my own making. The modulator causes the high beam to pulse from full brightness to about 1/5th brightness at around 240 beats per minute. It only pulses the high beam, and there is a switch to go from modulated high beam to regular high beam (since the modulator is only supposed to be on during the day). It increases my visibility quite a bit, I've noticed quite a few places where it seems someone was about to pull in front of me, but then sees me at the last second, which I attribute partially to the modulator. I'll be putting in a brake light modulator soon, that flashes the brake lights when you hit the brakes. So you hit the brakes, the lights flash 3 or 4 times, and then stay on solid. Helps with the "HEY, I'm stopping now!" message you are trying to send the cage drivers. These devices are both legal in the US.

The cosmetic changes are nice, I think, and they give me a good sense of 'ahh, this is my scooter, not just some random SR'. The modulators are good safety items, I highly recommend them.

In the future, I plan on upgrading my variator, and going with a 70cc kit. I haven't decided whether to go with malossi or polini yet, but I'm thinking polini might be my choice. However, I still have to save some cash, so I have a while to make the decision.

Also on the list is a multivar, wave rotor for the rear, oversize rotor for the front, and an adjustable rear shock. I'm also going to be fabricating a set of aluminum foot plates once I get myself down to the sheet metal shop. ;)

peace,
sam

phidauex
11-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Oh, a few more details...

I'm at about 2700 miles, and everything is going strong. It is winter now, and the scooter starts fine even below freezing.

I still have the stock tires on, Maxxis I believe? I haven't decided what tires to fit next.

I'm a small guy, I weigh about 125lbs.

Oh, and scootnfast, "I told you so" about those red springs! ;) I've been getting good results with the white spring this whole time. I've considered going up to a yellow, just to try it, but I'm convinced that the red is just too strong for most engines.

peace,
sam

scootnfast
11-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah I knew I was going to hear something from you Sam... But I had really good luck with the red spring before I went to the 70cc kit. Just no luck after I installed the 70cc kit.

As for timinindy, I am not so small, I weigh around 230lbs, and stock roller weights are around 11.2 grams... Which is way too heavy.

If I were you, I would get the exhaust and change out the roller weights. These scooters are really easy to work on. If you follow my postings on how to change roller weights, you will see how easy it is. Check out some of my other postings in the mojito forum also.

The pipe you choose is up to you. I simply went with the gianelli nrx pipe because it was chaper and had pretty much the same characteristics as the leo-vinci and arrow pipes. I have had good luck with it so far. And as far as reliability, I trust it more now than I did before I did all the modifications. I now have 1200 miles on my scooter, and I just bought it in August. If you change to a performance pipe, you may need to change your spring as well. But that is a trial and error thing. Good luck!

boyaani
05-22-2004, 11:10 AM
every time I upgrade my scoot I read old posts to see what others are running. I always come away thinking that alot of people are running similar setups and getting different results.
I'm currently running:

Malossi 70cc kit
Malossi kevlar belt
malossi yellow contra spring
polini speed clutch 2g
stock vario with 6.5g rollers
leo zx chrome (new) sounds good looks great!

I got a polini speed controle vario and couldn't get it to work properly. It melted rollers no matter what I did with the washers and it tore up my belt. Finally it melted my outer pully and tore up that aluminum washer so much that I couldn't get the metal cylinder part off my crank without putting a wrench on it and ruining it.
does anyone know if the malossi vario is better? does it have teeth or does it use that stupid aluminum washer?

I also got malossi final drive gears but my scoot has 9k+ miles on it so I orderd all of the bearings and gaskets for the gearbox and will replace them when I install the gears.

Ive tried running the malossi white contra but ever since I installed the bore kit the white spring sucks no matter what weight rollers I use. Everything will probably be different after I install the taller gears.

next I'm gonna style it out, maybe order some stuff from race-plastics.com or Kiesler Styling. I'll post some pics when it's done

oh and does anyone know if they make a hight performance crank for ditech yet? let me know
peace
john

Jebediah
05-22-2004, 01:34 PM
scootnfast

i just have something to say....considering you have polini variator and malossi belt...and considering that those two things work together..

i might be good to try a polini belt...just for fun, when this one is broken?

MOLECULAR-SR50
05-23-2004, 06:30 PM
02 Ditech...5.9g roller weight's with stk variator........new stock belt....Polini speed clutch.....stk contra spring....stk exhaust.Top end is 51 at cruise sit up style...53ish in tuck...wind behind and downhill 60...gas mileage is awesome...operator currenly tipping the scale's at 214lbs..gotta fix that.....load's of fun...accel's to top speed no problem...smooth....plus I'm carrrying an extra 10+lb battery under the seat.....just turned 8050 mile's,still run's strong.....have used Red Line oil from day one..run 93 octane..keep plug fresh...NGK CR8E....have replaced back tire with Pirelli SL26...rear brake pad's Mallosi synthetic's....replaced stator ...did I say load's of fun? It's a blast!Easy on the wallet,what more could ya want?Beside's the ability to do burn out's and wheelie's............................:peace:

yhomega
05-24-2004, 06:15 AM
hi!

me
polini 70cc
deltaclutch
malossi gear kit
max speed on speedo on a big downhill about 72 miles
when im on flat, good road, low wind 68 miles
i have a bad acceleration at 0 => 10 km/h (not good seting of clutch)
a constant acceleration 10 => 95km/h

748rsvr999r
05-24-2004, 08:42 PM
2002 Ditech
Malossi Big Bore Kit/carbon fiber reeds came with kit
Stock variator (tried Malossi whats all the hype about?)
Malossi White Spring
Malossi Delta Clutch
6.5 Malossi weights
Leo Vince ZX exhaust
15/41 Malossi gears
Malossi red filter (looks nice when you see it, but stock is probably just as good)

Have seen an indicated 71+ mph on my inaccurate speedo, going down hill in a tuck (edges past the 70 mph mark)

Will do an indicated 50 up a moderate grade and an indicated 60-65 on flats. I weigh 190, get about 86 mpg using the throttle as an on-off switch.

Scooter accelerates well from stop and beats the unsuspecting at traffic lights. A great city and short commuter scoot when configured like this.

Fran

:peace:

THIS SCOOTS A HOOT!

JRTURBO
05-25-2004, 02:55 AM
Current set up

Malossi big bore kit
Malossi longer final drive gears
Hebo adjustable clutch
Standard drive belt
Malossi variator
yellow malossi contra spring
Standard exhaust or TJT pipe
Rollers: Standard exhaust 10.5 grams

TiminIndy
05-25-2004, 07:58 AM
stock Morini 49cc
Leo Vince S pipe
Malossi 6.5g rollers
stock variator
Malossi white contra spring
Top Performances racing belt
Maxima Pro Scoot semi-synthetic oil
93 octane (US) Shell petro
NGK Platinum spark plug
Conti Zippy 1 tires

I'm hoping I don't get the 'weakening' white contra spring, because this set up gives me great acceleration throughout

Lorenzo
06-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Current Set-up:

Stock 50cc Morini Di-Tech engine (13,436 miles)
Stock variator
Stock clutch
Stock contra spring (with proprietary torsion control system)
Leo Vince ZX chrome exhaust
Gates Powerlink Aprilia Drive Belt
Malossi 7.0 Gram Rollers
NGK Platinum spark plug PMR8A (indexed away from spray)
Stock 130/60-13 front tire/ 150/70-13 rear tire

Results (on flat roads):

Cruising 52mph; max 62mph; occasional max w/tail-wind 70mph (yes, I know inaccurate 120kmph-speedo.)

mrbobolonian
06-26-2008, 01:48 AM
hey guys i know this a super old thread but i thought i would bring it back! i have a 2007 morini but its in the shop about to get de-restricted... meanwhile, i just wanted to know if there were any other 2007's with mods so i can see what else i want to do with mine. Thanks!

I think this thread should be sticky'd? I think it would help a lot of new tuners such as myself if more people posted...

smartbomb
06-26-2008, 02:24 AM
From another post of mine.

Malossi 70cc kit, Micah AF1 Cylinder Porting, Me case porting, Squish set @ 0.55 mm, Malossi full circle stuffer crank, V-Force reeds, THE MAX intake mods, Malossi red air fliter, removed snorkle, Sludge trap, Malossi TC unit, WPC treatment of all moving parts in engine and transmission, Malossi gears, Stock variator with Dr Pulley 7 gram sliders, Malossi red contra spring with Torque Controler, Malossi Kevlar belt, HIT clutch, Technigas RSII pipe, redline lightweight MTL lube for the transmission, Stage VI big front brake kit, Galfer rear wave rotor, Aprilia Paoli racing rear shock, PM Tuning carbon front fender, Aprilia air dams, kiesler underseat panel, me made licence plate holder to get rid of the ugly stock thing.

All info gleaned from Micah, THE MAX and Old Rouge, thank you.

Mr. Scootswell
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Mallosi 70cc kit, Micah AF1 Cylinder Porting, Me case porting, Squish set @ 0.6 mm, Mallosi full circle stuffer crank, V-Force reeds, THE MAX intake mods, Mallosi ECU, WPC treatment of all moving parts in engine and transmission, Mallosi gears, Stock variator with 6.8 gram rollers, Mallosi red contra spring with Torque Controler, Mallosi Kevlar belt, HIT clutch, LV pipe, redline lightweight MTL lube for the transmission, Stage VI big front brake kit, Galfer rear wave rotor, Aprilia racing rear shock, PM Tuning carbon front fender, Aprilia air dams, kiesler underseat panel, me made licence plate holder to get rid of the ugly stock thing.

Any your speeds are............

mrbobolonian
06-26-2008, 05:01 PM
anyone with a 2007 sr50 morini have any mods? I would love to see what i can get for mine since there are no dealers knowledgable in my area.

Lorenzo
06-26-2008, 05:37 PM

Mallosi 70cc kit, Micah AF1 Cylinder Porting, Me case porting, Squish set @ 0.6 mm, Mallosi full circle stuffer crank, V-Force reeds, THE MAX intake mods, Mallosi ECU, WPC treatment of all moving parts in engine and transmission, Mallosi gears, Stock variator with 6.8 gram rollers, Mallosi red contra spring with Torque Controler, Mallosi Kevlar belt, HIT clutch, LV pipe, redline lightweight MTL lube for the transmission, Stage VI big front brake kit, Galfer rear wave rotor, Aprilia racing rear shock, PM Tuning carbon front fender, Aprilia air dams, kiesler underseat panel, me made licence plate holder to get rid of the ugly stock thing.

What's the total cost on these upgrades? You must be doing pretty w$ll. :rolleyes:

--Lorenzo

Snugg
06-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Smartbomb, can you post some pics of your fendor from PM Tuning. I was looking at it today but would love to see it actually installed.
Thanks man.

High Gain Tuning
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Anyone want to take this data later and compile a common denominator for the 50 and 70 setups?

thamil
06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Smartbomb, can you post some pics of your fendor from PM Tuning. I was looking at it today but would love to see it actually installed.
Thanks man.

2nd that..

italscoot
06-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Then, for non-performance mods, I moved the front turn signals down to the reflectors next to the headlight instead of being in the american-spec lollypops on the handlebars. Then I cut off my rear fender and made a little eliminator kit/license plate bracket to hold the plate, It even has LED illumination for the plate.

Then I painted the rear hugger, and the lower side panels (I'm not sure what they are called, the parts right next to where your feet stand, on the sides of the battery compartment). They are now a nice metallic blue.

Then I installed a headlight modulator of my own making. The modulator causes the high beam to pulse from full brightness to about 1/5th brightness at around 240 beats per minute. It only pulses the high beam, and there is a switch to go from modulated high beam to regular high beam (since the modulator is only supposed to be on during the day). It increases my visibility quite a bit, I've noticed quite a few places where it seems someone was about to pull in front of me, but then sees me at the last second, which I attribute partially to the modulator. I'll be putting in a brake light modulator soon, that flashes the brake lights when you hit the brakes. So you hit the brakes, the lights flash 3 or 4 times, and then stay on solid. Helps with the "HEY, I'm stopping now!" message you are trying to send the cage drivers. These devices are both legal in the US.

The cosmetic changes are nice, I think, and they give me a good sense of 'ahh, this is my scooter, not just some random SR'. The modulators are good safety items, I highly recommend them.

peace,
sam[/QUOTE]

Hey Sam, I would love to see pics of your cosmetic mods, sounds sweet :)

John

italscoot
06-28-2008, 10:17 AM

John[/QUOTE]

Oooooops! I did not even realize that post was from five years ago.....oh well

John

smartbomb
06-28-2008, 11:46 AM

Should be running again on monday, I was waiting for my gears to come back from WPC.

smartbomb
06-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks man.

Its the same styling as the older SR50. The quality is not that hot. Mine had cracking gell coat and some uneven trimming. Looks good from 3-4 feet away though.

thamil
06-28-2008, 09:54 PM

John

Oooooops! I did not even realize that post was from five years ago.....oh well

John[/QUOTE]

so what! maybe we can "channel" him to come back! lol

Muncie
06-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Speed orange/black
Leo Vince ZX pipe
Factory filter w/one layer removed
6.5 gram rollers/stock variator
Stebel Magnum horn - www.scooterswest.com
everything else is stock
52 mph flat/56 mph slight downhill
110 mpg
155 lb. rider
5600' elev.

brooky_11
08-31-2008, 07:28 PM
read signiture

smartbomb
09-01-2008, 02:26 AM

Consistant 64 mph on the flats, have gone faster with a tailwind. Dunno about downhill becvause there are no big downhills where you can go fast around here. I weight 200 lbs and have wide drag inducing sholders.

The scooter is very fast, good acceleration and throttle response and I can ride with confidence in fast OC traffic.

This scooter has the best handling and brakes of any scooter I have ever ridden. Suprisingly its one of the faster ones as well.

It kills my RS50.

bilsta
09-01-2008, 03:03 AM
downhill bars, stage 6 filter, stock pipe, arrow rollers (not sure on weight), white tyre markers, mesh insert in grill:P! thats all lol! get about 46mph real speed imo! but my scoot is by far the best looking where i live ;)

bilsta
09-01-2008, 03:08 AM
my bike:

o and it has smoked lenses and indicators :D

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3451/dsc01343xb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3451/dsc01343xb4.4a91a289fd.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=293&i=dsc01343xb4.jpg)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/897/dsc01342wi0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/897/dsc01342wi0.724fa040e9.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=393&i=dsc01342wi0.jpg)

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3409/dsc01338un8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/3409/dsc01338un8.33b5251d90.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=393&i=dsc01338un8.jpg)

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6101/dsc01339pc1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6101/dsc01339pc1.8e8c537fb5.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=293&i=dsc01339pc1.jpg)