PDA

View Full Version : Changing the *#%@*** oil

MickyC51
10-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Being a naturaly clumsy and sloppy guy I know the gods of Hooliganism are laughing at me whenever I change the oil. Four separate chambers must be emptied. One measuring hole must be opened. Two oil fills dealt with. None disaterous but all mildly annoying which means I somehow manage to spill a little bit of oil over everything. Of course since it is a street and track bike it all must be safety wired again with almost all the safety wire being slightly recessed. Good thing the Hooligan is the most fun bike I've ever owned cause it certainly is the pickiest. Why are all the pretty girls so high maintenance?

Micky Curry

work_moto
10-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I find the easiest way not to spill everywhere is to remove the lower sump guard. The big piece of plastic.

Stick the bike on a paddock stand or use 2 axle stands that you'd get for a car.

Drop the lower bolt first where the fcv is. Then drop the 2 side bolts out, gear and engine oil. Then finally drop the oil tank bolt.

Use a large oil container and i find i dont get oil anywhere but in the container. Little wipe down after i've re fitted the bolts and filled back up and she's good to go.

shanes
10-19-2007, 08:22 PM
i use little R clips that i locked wired in place :):) that way i dont have to get the lock wire pliers out every time , just pull the R clip out

MickyC51
10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
I find the easiest way not to spill everywhere is to remove the lower sump guard. The big piece of plastic.

Stick the bike on a paddock stand or use 2 axle stands that you'd get for a car.

Drop the lower bolt first where the fcv is. Then drop the 2 side bolts out, gear and engine oil. Then finally drop the oil tank bolt.

Use a large oil container and i find i dont get oil anywhere but in the container. Little wipe down after i've re fitted the bolts and filled back up and she's good to go.

That is about how I do it, although I don't drop the FCV I probably should. When I drop the lower sump guard I always seem to find it coated with oil and I wonder where it came from. Today it seems to be from the clutch cover.

Micky Curry

MickyC51
10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
i use little R clips that i locked wired in place :):) that way i dont have to get the lock wire pliers out every time , just pull the R clip out

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. I'm also a tech inspector at the Loudon New Hampshire race track and we are genarally not happy with r clips instead of safey wire. Or maybe I should say r clips that aren't sufficiently wired.

Micky Curry