PDA

View Full Version : track day report

pumpman
10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I did a full 170+ WFO track miles without even a hiccup. My lowered 550 handled great, ran perfectly, started easily, and the chain slider looked almost unaffected by it all (38 tooth sprocket). I discussed my oil level problem in an earlier post, and the problem has not gone away, but it must not be a real problem. The whole day passed without ever seeing oil in the sight tube, and there was no oil in the airbox or elsewhere. I put 1350 cc in and watched it disappear when I started the engine, never to return. I ran it hard, frequently hitting the rev limiter, and expected her to blow any minute, but it ran great all day, and was just as smooth and strong at the end as at the start. At the end of each session I got off the bike and checked the sight tube with it still running, and always saw an empty tube. It is disturbing to me that it does this, but I guess I will just continue to ride it and try not to worry. It has just over 1000 miles now, and that is apparently an achievement in itself. I plan to drain it and measure what comes out, to confirm that the oil was there. The pegs do drag sometimes, but not enough to regret lowering...it works very well.:cheers:

spencer
10-17-2007, 06:47 AM
I thought I was the only one to have "disappearing" oil, I followed xv asylums instructions to a T, 1250 cc of fresh oil and still nothing appears in the tube after getting it good and hot. Not much in the air box to speak of either. I drained the gearbox, didnt measure what came out but it didnt appear to be more than I put in. Another mystery I suppose! Kinda makes me uneasy not knowing precisely how much oil is in there...

Spence

Devine
10-17-2007, 09:36 AM
I thought I was the only one to have "disappearing" oil, I followed xv asylums instructions to a T, 1250 cc of fresh oil and still nothing appears in the tube after getting it good and hot. Not much in the air box to speak of either. I drained the gearbox, didnt measure what came out but it didnt appear to be more than I put in. Another mystery I suppose! Kinda makes me uneasy not knowing precisely how much oil is in there...

Spence

could it have 1250cc in? well if you put it in... it must be in there..

conman
10-17-2007, 11:02 AM
I did a full 170+ WFO track miles without even a hiccup. My lowered 550 handled great, ran perfectly, started easily, and the chain slider looked almost unaffected by it all (38 tooth sprocket). I discussed my oil level problem in an earlier post, and the problem has not gone away, but it must not be a real problem. The whole day passed without ever seeing oil in the sight tube, and there was no oil in the airbox or elsewhere. I put 1350 cc in and watched it disappear when I started the engine, never to return. I ran it hard, frequently hitting the rev limiter, and expected her to blow any minute, but it ran great all day, and was just as smooth and strong at the end as at the start. At the end of each session I got off the bike and checked the sight tube with it still running, and always saw an empty tube. It is disturbing to me that it does this, but I guess I will just continue to ride it and try not to worry. It has just over 1000 miles now, and that is apparently an achievement in itself. I plan to drain it and measure what comes out, to confirm that the oil was there. The pegs do drag sometimes, but not enough to regret lowering...it works very well.:cheers:

be careful where you are putting the oil., the first time my friend changed his, he put the motor oil in the gearbox by mistake. the oil for the engine ONLY gets 50 or 60cc's in the filter and the other 1190cc to 1200cc goes in the oil tank under and in front of the gas tank where the clear hose is located.
the plug on the right side of the motor is for the gear oil, not the motor.

I know you probably already knew this, I just wanted to say I had seen it done wrong and he had the same problem you have.

spencer
10-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Unless my ratio rite cup is not calibrated then I did everything correctly. And YES, I did put the oil in the correct holes including the filter cavity. Last time I tried to keep oil in the site tube it spit it out through the air box. Oil level was about 1/2" above "min" mark on oil tank. I guess I will continue to ride with my fingers crossed

Spence