PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with Ohlins fork?

backys
10-06-2007, 04:42 AM
It was a week now that when I brake the front end made a bizzare ''click''
sound like the triple clamp was unscrewed.
I've search it and I found that everytimeI push the front end the blue preload adjuster moves about 1mm up.(The left one a lttle more):WTF::WTF:

Is it somethink unscrewed inside the fork?
Is it possible to fix it without opening the forks?
Is it dangerous to ride it till I fix it?

Suspension genius Help please :worship:
:cheers:

planttec
10-06-2007, 05:21 AM
everytimeI push the front end the blue preload adjuster moves about 1mm up.(The left one a lttle more):WTF::WTF:

Is it dangerous to ride it till I fix it?

Hi Mate

I am not a suspension guru by any stretch of the imagination but for what it is worth I would say that if anything is moving unusually on a safety critical part then it would be better not to ride it until a definitive answer can be given by someone who knows what they are talking abaout and have seen the problem in action.

spoonz
10-06-2007, 06:46 AM
It's held in place by a nut which you may have inadvertantly loosened if you removed the top cap for an oil/seal change. Get it sorted or the movement will destroy the oil seal around the blue section in the cap.

spoonz
10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
There is a manual in the links section of this site which will show you what i mean.

Diablo1
10-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I would take it to a dealer to let them fix the problem. If it's just the damper rod holding nut moving about, they should be able to fix it in less than an hour's labor. However, if it's something else wrong, you want their expertise to make sure the problem gets fixed. Also, they have the correct tools so your nice Ohlins forks won't get marred up.

Cryogenic
10-06-2007, 09:16 AM
It's held in place by a nut which you may have inadvertantly loosened if you removed the top cap for an oil/seal change. Get it sorted or the movement will destroy the oil seal around the blue section in the cap.

Tend to agree with my learned friend there!

You could quite simply use a 17mm spanner and turn the blue adjuster anti-clockwise and you should meet resistance after several FULL turns, depending on how your set-up is, if you don't then its likely the locknut has come loose on the rod and the adjuster is just turning. If you have the pin tool to remove cap you could remove from both legs and compress forks carefully to reattach and tighten the lock-nut. Would be easier if legs were off bike but could be done with them attached still. The bike must be upright to do this. Keep the sliders compressed to expose the spacer tube etc, if the adjuster has fully come un-threaded from rod then re-attach to rod, wind the adjuster fully onto rod then tighten the lock-nut up to it. Bit of a fiddle as you'll have some spring tension against you so a thin ish 17mm spanner is useful to slip between the spacer tube and cap to tighten lock nut.
Worst case scenario I would have thought, is your cartridge is stuffed!!
I'm no expert btw but I have had these things apart, I'm sure others will impart their greater knowledge to this for you.

RZRob
10-06-2007, 10:29 AM
I just did my Ohlins forks. I posted pictures (see link) so you can see what you need to do to tighten that nut back up. Warning: If you pop that cap off, without the front end lifted by the triple clamps, things are going to get ugly fast. Look at this pic. You need to back off the preload (blue nut) all the way. Then with the cap off (need spanner), you'll be able to raise the cartridge and tighten the 17mm jam nut that sounds like it's come loose. I didn't really think about your problem though to know if this is what happened.
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127896

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/rzrob/Picture4036.jpg

RZ Rob

Cryogenic
10-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Sorry.....meant to add about taking the weight off the front first before removing caps. I use an Abba Stand and a small jack just to tilt it back and weight off the front end.

Nice write up on the fork seal change Rob:plus:

Recently had to strip mine right down to replace a fork bottom that had fractured.....must admit that I did it without a single Ohlins tool!

RZRob
10-06-2007, 03:59 PM
It's probably implicit that the front end needs to be lifted, but I just wanted to emphasize that. I was afraid to try loosening the cap without the Ohlins tool. Mostly because I was afraid of messing it up.

RZ Rob

spoonz
10-06-2007, 05:38 PM
If you loosen the triple clamp you will probably find the top caps are not very tight. You may be able to remove them just by the preload adjuster if your careful

backys
10-08-2007, 06:23 AM
I've checked today with a 2007 rsvr (the one with the standard Ohlins) and they where moving too:WTF:
And it had only 2000km on clock.
So is it normal?

mini_me
10-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Sorry.....meant to add about taking the weight off the front first before removing caps. I use an Abba Stand and a small jack just to tilt it back and weight off the front end.

Here we go again for some cheap laughs;
http://www.clt.be/images/abba.jpg

spoonz
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Had my forks apart today to play with oil levels and thought i would investigate this as one of my preload adjusters has much more play than the other.

What i found is if you sepeperate the top cap (see pic) then underneath the lower half is a nut which clamps down on a rubber o-ring. This nut appears to need tweaking just a smidge to take out the free play but not too tight or you won't be able to turn the preload adjusters.

http://www.polymoog.homecall.co.uk/bits/bike/100_1388.jpg

http://www.polymoog.homecall.co.uk/bits/bike/100_1391.jpg

The problem being that you need a very deep socket to grip the nut because nothing else can get in there. Nothing i have fits so i need to visit a tool shop.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

backys
10-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks mate!!!!
You are very helpful.
I'll check it ASAP
:cheers: