PDA

View Full Version : New Tuono owner :)

BakSeatRed
11-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Hola folks,
I picked up a Tuono about 3 weeks ago in San Francisco. I've been following the manufacturer's breakin recommendations and have therefore been living in the fairly "icky" part of the RPM range, the hiddious 3-4k cough and right as it is about to get nice, welcome to 6k, back off. Frankly I was beginning to get a bit disappointed with the engine, felt like my R6 could outpull it without even breaking a sweat. Granted the suspention is great, the streetfighter body position is great, the v-twin sound is great, the breaks are great and all that but dang, where's the engine?

Well today I passed 937 miles and by 944 miles I found it. HO-LY CRAP!!! The power is upstairs! 7k + and BOOM: ROCKET SLED! I am MUCH happier now that the Italian has come to the table with both guns blazing, that rush of rollon power upstairs had me cackling in my helmet. I'd been expecting to find the power a bit lower down but when I finally found it I was quite pleased :D I just pity the poor sod behind me who has to deal with the noise, :eek:

titaniumbutt
11-05-2003, 09:19 PM
LOL!!
I experienced the same thing! You couldn't whip the grin off my face when i found it.
I was so desperate to get through the break-in period that i rode it though snow and ice....talk about a pucker factor. But, boy was it worth it!

BBQ Chef
11-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Congrats! I couldn't wait and by 350 miles I was exploring up to 7000 rpm and by 600 miles it had seen 8500 rpm. All the mechanics that I know said don't be afraid and baby the engine, just don't let it spend any more than a second or two at the high RPMs.

11-06-2003, 11:09 AM
BakSeatRed,

To cure that 3-4k cough, call up Ken at Evoluzione. I hated that about my bike, but now it is as smooth as silk through the whole RPM range. Sweet!

Michael

Davidvmi91
11-06-2003, 11:30 AM
what did Ken at Evolutionize do for the bike? Since I am in Dallas using him might be a tad difficult :)

BakSeatRed
11-06-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 525
BakSeatRed,

To cure that 3-4k cough, call up Ken at Evoluzione. I hated that about my bike, but now it is as smooth as silk through the whole RPM range. Sweet!

Michael

Aye, what did he do? I put an Arrow slipon and eprom on the bike wiht the first service but as far as I can tell all it's done is make the bike louder and backfire more during engine breaking...

11-06-2003, 04:16 PM
David,

Evoluzione did a lot of great things for me. A competent shop (not an easy thing to find - read the post) could do the same for you with a few bits from Evoluzione. Not all of what I have done to my bike may be necessary to achieve what you want, it’s just the road I happened to take.

Use the search function on this web site and then type in 525 in the “search by user name”. When the results come up click on the topics “Suspension Settings” and “Viva Evoluzione”. You will see all the mistakes I made, stuff that Evo did and a lot of other advice and opinions from other good folks on important Tuono topics.

Sorry for being short, but it is a crazy day at the office. Besides, all I have learned and know as a short term Tuono owner is contained in these posts.

Hope it helps.

Michael

Davidvmi91
11-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Thanks Michael that is VERY helpful

David

hank
11-07-2003, 12:29 PM
The Mille/Tuono airboxes are woefully undersized for the engine.

Evoluzione sells 2 different airbox upgrade kits that really open things up and let the bike breathe....

And yes, a new exhaust/eprom combo will really clean up the 5,000 rpm dip. You'll get that rush much sooner once you make a few well-known mods.

Enjoy & have fun!

theImmoralist
11-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by BakSeatRed
Aye, what did he do? I put an Arrow slipon and eprom on the bike wiht the first service but as far as I can tell all it's done is make the bike louder and backfire more during engine breaking...

A slip-on won't do much for the mid-range hole. (I have many dyno charts to prove it.)

If you live in San Francisco, take your bike to Scuderia (if you didn't buy it there in the first place) and ask Don about putting in a Power Commander and making a custom map for it.

To go full boat, get a full system exhaust and then do the PC and custom map. I did that on my Tuono R and have a totally flat power curve that builds continuously to 120hp.

:banana:

BakSeatRed
11-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by theImmoralist
A slip-on won't do much for the mid-range hole. (I have many dyno charts to prove it.)

If you live in San Francisco, take your bike to Scuderia (if you didn't buy it there in the first place) and ask Don about putting in a Power Commander and making a custom map for it.

To go full boat, get a full system exhaust and then do the PC and custom map. I did that on my Tuono R and have a totally flat power curve that builds continuously to 120hp.

Aha, thanks for the information. I did indeed buy the beast from Scudaria but haven't talked to Don. I've seen a kit here to replace the rest of my exhaust system with the additional bits to make it a "full" arrow system. Am I looking at another leap in decibles if I do so? I'm already getting strange looks from the neighbors. I'll go check and see if the airbox has been derestricted and definately look into getting a larger airbox. I can only assume that the map that came on the chip from Arrow will not know what to do with the additional air and that I'll need to get a PCRiii to make a custom map. Can you confirm this?

Thanks in advance,
-Jason

clarkie49
11-08-2003, 12:38 AM
you got it jason,

when you add more air you need to add more fuel as well.

i actually saw all of the dyno charts from the Immoralist's bike, he had each component installed and compared on the dyno.

i have actually never seen a series of tests done in such an anal-retentive fashion :D , documentating all of the performance parts. i am sure he can tell that some worked, some didnt, but now he knows what many others either dont or just take for granted.

clarkie:D

theImmoralist
11-08-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by clarkie49

i actually saw all of the dyno charts from the Immoralist's bike, he had each component installed and compared on the dyno.

i have actually never seen a series of tests done in such an anal-retentive fashion :D , documentating all of the performance parts.

:funnypost :funnypost :funnypost

Wow, I haven't been called "anal-retentive" since my ex-girlfriend broke up with me. :D

clarkie49
11-08-2003, 07:45 AM
sorry dude,

i had another big word first but i couldnt spell it right :D

clarkie

thunderex
11-08-2003, 06:20 PM

justin, the pcIII won't do it on it's own. you also have the throttle bodies, which is where most of your torque dip went away. i only figure this because i have the pcIII and an aprilia racing exhaust and when i saw my dyno, i noticed that the dip was still there. don said on your bike the dip went away with the new throttle bodies.

theImmoralist
11-09-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by thunderex
justin, the pcIII won't do it on it's own. you also have the throttle bodies, which is where most of your torque dip went away. i only figure this because i have the pcIII and an aprilia racing exhaust and when i saw my dyno, i noticed that the dip was still there. don said on your bike the dip went away with the new throttle bodies.

Nope. The throttle bodies only added 2hp to the very top of the power curve, from like 9K-10K. They didn't do anything for the mid-range. I think Don's been breathing too much exhaust in that dyno room and got things confused. :p:

When you say you have the "aprilia racing exhaust," do you mean the full system (2 into 2 Aprilia/Akrapovic SBK exhaust) or the slip-on (RSC Titanium slip-on)? My power curve only flattened out with the full system and PCIII/custom map.

BakSeatRed
11-09-2003, 02:59 AM
So I must admit that I've been riding nice quiet Japanese inline 4's for quite some time and the volume of the Tuono with an Arrow slip on is pretty insane. Is it even louder with a full racing system, larger throttle bodies and a larger airbox or pretty similar?

theImmoralist
11-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by BakSeatRed
Is it even louder with a full racing system, larger throttle bodies and a larger airbox or pretty similar?

It depends on what full system you are talking about. Some are quieter than your Arrow slip-on, some are louder. The Arrow shotgun full system that I have is much quieter than the RSC slip-on, the Aprilia/Akrapovic 2-2 is a little quieter and lower in tone, and my Akrapovic 2-1 is really really loud. :eek:

The Arrow full system that Apex Molester has on his Tuono sounded really nice, but I only heard it for a few minutes because he rode so fast I couldn't keep up for long. :worship:

The throttle bodies didn't make a difference as far as I could tell.

The airbox gives you more induction noise, but I don't think it makes much difference to your neighbors. ;)

thunderex
11-10-2003, 01:20 AM
Nope. The throttle bodies only added 2hp to the very top of the power curve, from like 9K-10K. They didn't do anything for the mid-range. I think Don's been breathing too much exhaust in that dyno room and got things confused. :p:

When you say you have the "aprilia racing exhaust," do you mean the full system (2 into 2 Aprilia/Akrapovic SBK exhaust) or the slip-on (RSC Titanium slip-on)? My power curve only flattened out with the full system and PCIII/custom map.
odd. he actually showed me your dyno runs. he specifically mentioned that the pcIII with custom map only managed to squeeze out a few ponies and flatten out the dip a small bit. it looked similar to the way mine is now. he claims the way he got rid of your torque dip was with the throttle bodies. my torque dip is still there but not quite as noticeable. unfortunately i now how a queer little falloff at the very bottom of the rev range. i'm taking it back in next week to get it figured.

i have a 2-1 titanium system from a haga mille.

theImmoralist
11-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by thunderex
he claims the way he got rid of your torque dip was with the throttle bodies.

I think he must have gotten the dyno runs mixed up, because I am looking at them right now, and the only difference the throttle bodies made was at the top. It gave about 1/2hp at 7K, 1hp at 8K, and 2 hp from 9K-10K.

What the hell, none of this makes that much difference to having fun. Let's just go ride our bikes when the damn rain stops.

:p:

clarkie49
11-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Let's just go ride our bikes when the damn rain stops. :p:

rain huh?

gee i though california was always beautiful :D

yesterday up here in NH the sun was out, of course it was on 27' but i havent seen any snow yet.

man, winter is really gonna kick my ass, coming from new zealand to australia to phoenix, and then basically chasing summer around for 3 years racing or running demos.

whats funny is that don comes from this area originally and crystal from the midwest so they know what i have moved into :) no wonder they were tyring to get my wife and i too work for them in SF.

biggest difference out here is that riders dont need their bikes 'by friday cause i'm going riding' its more like i dont need it for 3 months so go sick on it and make it rip, one of the big reasons for the move......big projects :D

clarkie

Jony2Stones
11-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by clarkie49
rain huh?

gee i though california was always beautiful :D

yesterday up here in NH the sun was out, of course it was on 27' but i havent seen any snow yet.

man, winter is really gonna kick my ass, coming from new zealand to australia to phoenix, and then basically chasing summer around for 3 years racing or running demos.

whats funny is that don comes from this area originally and crystal from the midwest so they know what i have moved into :) no wonder they were tyring to get my wife and i too work for them in SF.

biggest difference out here is that riders dont need their bikes 'by friday cause i'm going riding' its more like i dont need it for 3 months so go sick on it and make it rip, one of the big reasons for the move......big projects :D

clarkie

Did you end up living in Manch-Vegas????
I know you're not into street riding, but next year you should get to ride some of the Portsmouth-Seacoast area roads. They'll definatly compete with some of Calis' finer-roads...

clarkie49
11-10-2003, 01:07 PM
i am living in derry, 7 minutes from work :)

i will definitely be doing a bi of street riding, no better way to explore the granite state right.

clarkie

11-11-2003, 01:56 PM
According to Ken at Evoluzione, the mid-range (approx 5k) dip in HP is largely flattened out by the addition of a 2 into 2 full system. The 2 into 1 system or any slip-on will not do this.

When I asked about the larger throttle bodies he offers he said that they only made a difference in the upper rpm range.

This agrees with what TheImmoralist and others have seen on dyno runs.