PDA

View Full Version : Arkas?

Chicago
10-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Anyone know when the full race pipes will be stateside?

Anybody bought them yet? How are they? Price?

And extra credit - Anybody dynoed them yet?

Thanks!

stinky
10-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Day before all the others (that didn't get a two month head start) get to market? It was supposed to be "late October", but there aren't many hours left in October.

Been trying to buy them for over a month. I have a deal for < $1700, if Akrapovic ever decides to actually make/ship them.

Maybe Aprilia has dyno'd them, who knows. Nobody else has them.

Italibikefreak
10-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by stinky
Day before all the others (that didn't get a two month head start) get to market? It was supposed to be "late October", but there aren't many hours left in October.

Been trying to buy them for over a month. I have a deal for < $1700, if Akrapovic ever decides to actually make/ship them.

Maybe Aprilia has dyno'd them, who knows. Nobody else has them.

Yeah I talked to Aprilia USA today and they said there first shipment is soldout. But they didn't say when they are going to be delivered.:rambo:

stinky
10-31-2003, 07:02 PM
I guess they didn't say *which* October.

Dvus
10-31-2003, 08:36 PM
RSVR.net has another brand of pipes as well.

stinky
11-01-2003, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the tip, Dvus. Tempting.

If my dealer weren't taking such good care of me and hooking me up with a sweet deal on the full Akra, I'd consider cancelling the order and getting the slipons. As it is, we'll see if I get one out of the first batch, since my dealer ordered them for me as soon as they started taking orders.

Dvus
11-01-2003, 12:21 AM
Cool thing. Just give us a full report and sound bytes:D We were informed Arrow is coming out with the full and slip on in December. Of course I still want to know more about the Tigcraft. Damn them! HURRY HURRY oh well I can't really ride since we are going to have a winter this year. No el neno to blame!!!!:(

Thunder Factory
11-01-2003, 01:09 AM
I was waiting for the Aprilia slip ons but when I found out they were not being produced by Akra I decided to look elsewhere.

A set of Carbon Can Co tri-oval race cans arrived yesterday and I got them on the bike last night.

The sound is addictive! :happy:

Dvus
11-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
I was waiting for the Aprilia slip ons but when I found out they were not being produced by Akra I decided to look elsewhere.

A set of Carbon Can Co tri-oval race cans arrived yesterday and I got them on the bike last night.

The sound is addictive! :happy: Ok ok we need to know and see and hear so how about

1 Pics
2 sound clip
3 or a video would suffice.

stinky
11-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Don't forget:

4 A review - how's the build quality, installation, blah blah

Must have pics at the least. :D

Thunder Factory
11-01-2003, 02:06 AM
Guys

I'll get some pics later today, as for the sound clip I will see what I can do as the only way I can recoed it would be with a digital camera and it only records small clips.

I'm saying later today as it's just after 6.30 am this side and the neighbours might be concerned if I started now.

I can talk about buid quality and such which is excellent, I was hesitant initially about Carbon Can Co as I viewed them at the lower end of the market for cans, but on checking tests in MCN and Ride Magazine they got good results and were recommended.

Now they are here I'm really pleased with them, the tri-oval shape IMO compliments the bike and fitting them was simple with no hassle.

Just to wet your appetites, here are a couple of pics fresh from the bike shed, not the best conditions as it's still dark and I have not cleaned the cans since fitting them so forgive the fingerprints!

:D

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/95dd5602.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/9b7773ef.jpg

Dvus
11-01-2003, 02:48 AM
Oh hell yeah! I need to see more pics and more angles please!!! They do look good. You have a website for that pipe? I need to see them in greater detail. Is it titanium?

Thunder Factory
11-01-2003, 03:18 AM
Should have said that they are titanium which I think looks great on the bike.

You can get to their website here (http://www.carboncan.co.uk) but they may not have the cans listed under the price section as yet.

It's worth mentioning that they also own an Aprilia dealers so they have had time to sort out this can, and get it out on the market.

I know they ship world wide, and as you are in the US the prices would be without local tax (vat) which is at a rate of 17.5% so they would be really good value.

I'll get more pics later today!
:rolleyes:

cman6453
11-01-2003, 03:29 AM
Most EXCELLENT!! Just sent them an email for prices. So did you notice an increase in performance? Do they have any dyno graphs available? What about mapping issues?

Looks great Thunder!!

Thunder Factory
11-01-2003, 03:32 AM
Sad to say by the time I fitted them yesterday it was too late to get out on the bike but I will know more this weekend.

They tell me that the race map is a must for race cans as running on standard map they exagerate the dip at 5500, but I expected this.

I'm waiting for the dealers Akone to arrive and will have it switched over and then get the fuel air ratio set up.

cman6453
11-01-2003, 03:34 AM
I assume you have the race cans?

Thunder Factory
11-01-2003, 04:13 AM
Should have said already that the cans are available in road legal and race spec, but I went with the race version.

Just for info, I rang CCC just now and thye tell me shipping to the US is about 65 gbp and a set of the titanium tri-oval in race spec would be 451gbp to you lot who don't get hit with local tax. :fangs:

Thunder Factory
11-01-2003, 03:02 PM
As requested here are some pics, not ideal cause I was late home and it was getting dark, but I'll replace them with daylight shots if the rain which is now falling finishes by tomorrow!

As for the sound, will try and get a clip made in the morning, but it's deep and sore on the ears at all IMO. :happy:

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/bbf3e1ba.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/c03b36fc.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/1a5331e9.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/66ca27d4.jpg

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Thunder/Carbon%20Can/622a3cea.jpg

Anyone any idea why the pics come up as a link instead of an image? :gunner: :bond:

Dvus
11-01-2003, 03:13 PM
Cool! I like the pics

mille-ryan
11-01-2003, 05:44 PM
Cool pics Thunder, let me know how bad you feel the 5K black hole when you ride it. Bet its like mine now.

For the pics, I think its this site, it wont let you hot link from hardly anything.Even free space like yahoo pages you cant, and they were designed to do it. I just resize my crap and upload it now.Usually 600x400 works in photo shop.

milleman
11-01-2003, 09:26 PM

The sound is addictive! :happy:

where did you get them? .......and how much?

AV8OR
11-01-2003, 09:51 PM
I was never a fan of tri oval can, but you are right they sure set off the lines of the bike. Especially the tail

Thunder Factory
11-02-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by milleman
where did you get them? .......and how much?

UK manufacturer Carbon Can Co (who also have an Aprilia dealership which is why the cans are ready so soon) I saw a write up on them in the new products section of MCN.

A set of the titanium tri-oval in race spec would be 451gbp to you lot who don't get hit with local tax (vat) which by my currency converter is 765 usd. Shipping to the US is about 65 gbp (110 usd).[

Thunder Factory
11-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by AV8OR
I was never a fan of tri oval can, but you are right they sure set off the lines of the bike. Especially the tail

To be honest I was of the same opinion initially and was going to order oval cans from them (again in titanium), but I kept looking at the bike and started to think that the tri-oval may work visually.

Always hard to tell when your buying from pictures but now I see them on I'm glad I made the choice.

Of course everyone has different opinions I'm sure. :peace:

stinky
11-02-2003, 04:33 AM
I've never been a fan of tri-ovals, either, but that's just too sweet for words, Thunder. I think I'm going to get myself a set as well.

stinky
11-05-2003, 03:51 PM
There will be a full set of the Akra's arriving at LA Yamaha/Aprilia next week - the ones I was going to purchase have shipped from Aprilia, and I'm sure Joe can hook you up with a good price. The service down there has thus far been outstanding.

confucius
11-05-2003, 04:29 PM
so in talking to some dealers in my area it sounds like aprilia hasn't given akrapovic the rights to make a slip on system for the 04. :WTF:
i didn't know that akrapovic needed permission. anyways, i don't know what aprilia was thinking when they went with arvin meritor for the slip on solution. especially for $900. ok, so they make loads of oem replacement stuff for cars but what do they know about high performance motorcycles? :confused:
well i won't be riding as much in the winter anyways so i guess i'll just wait a while.

Thunder Factory
11-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Heard form a source in Aprilia that Arvin make the standard cans for the bikes and as they had all the parts a deal was struck for them to produce a race version.

Seems like a question of economics but definetly put me off paying such big money for the official race cans.

So far I just love the Tri-oval race cans I fitted to the bike last weekend! :D

confucius
11-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Heard form a source in Aprilia that Arvin make the standard cans for the bikes and as they had all the parts a deal was struck for them to produce a race version.

hmmm, that makes sense.

So far I just love the Tri-oval race cans I fitted to the bike last weekend! :D

as for the tri oval cans...... ya lucky bastard!! i feel foolish riding around with my peeuny stock cans. i really used to enjoy scaring the bejesus out of people as i roared past them with my old rsvr.

stinky
11-05-2003, 04:54 PM
...So far I just love the Tri-oval race cans I fitted to the bike last weekend! :D

I'm glad you're enjoying them, TF. I have a set on the way. :D

Thunder Factory
11-06-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by confucius
as for the tri oval cans...... ya lucky bastard!! i feel foolish riding around with my peeuny stock cans. i really used to enjoy scaring the bejesus out of people as i roared past them with my old rsvr.

I love the bike so much I could have lived with the standard cans, but now I can really hear the sound of the engine and feel the difference a set of race cans make I have a grin stuck on my face! :banana:

Thunder Factory
11-06-2003, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by stinky
I'm glad you're enjoying them, TF. I have a set on the way. :D

Stinky.

What's the ETA for delivery to you?

stinky
11-06-2003, 10:10 AM
I ordered them Monday and they said they'd have them on their way Tuesday. Crossing my fingers for delivery tomorrow, but more realistically it's going to be next week.

Thunder Factory
11-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Believe me it will be worth it!

Revel in the noise and go set off some car alarms in a multi story car park! :rambo:

stinky
11-06-2003, 11:09 AM
:D Can't wait to hear her sound like a v-twin instead of a big lawnmower. I think it's time for some folks around here to recalibrate their car alarms. :fangs:

Chicago
11-09-2003, 04:22 PM
and thanks to Thunder Pants to hijacking the thread :kidding:

Just ordered the Arkas - prolly be here in a month or so, but the bike's on chocks for the winter :(

I'll give an update come springtime on power, sound, and all that jazz

hozay
11-09-2003, 10:56 PM
like ive said before in the forum - if you can get link pipes made up just use R1 Akra slip ons - they slip straight on & because the have bigger end caps 55mm instead of 45mm they sound heaps deeper & louder - so this option is only for the hardcore

Thunder Factory
11-10-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by hozay
like ive said before in the forum - if you can get link pipes made up just use R1 Akra slip ons - they slip straight on & because the have bigger end caps 55mm instead of 45mm they sound heaps deeper & louder - so this option is only for the hardcore

Surely with the R1 being a single can system fitting a pair would mean the seam on the can would be visible on the left side?

stinky
11-10-2003, 10:13 AM
..or the emblem and exhaust tip would be upside down.

hozay
11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
nah you drill the rivets & turn around the end cap & put a new sticker on it.................all sweet.