PDA

View Full Version : SLOP questions

MisterSprinkles
08-26-2007, 06:39 PM
So am I to understand that EVERYONE with a Morini engine encounters "sudden loss of power' aka cutting out of throttle until you release and re-engage UNLESS they have an aftermarket pipe?

ie- stock pipe+morini= guaranteed SLOP after awhile??

My mechanic had never noticed this before and he took my scooter for a boot the other day, encountered slop, and went visibly insane taking stuff apart trying to figure out if I had a broken fuel pump or a leak somewhere. I told him I heard it happens to everyone who doesnt have aftermarket exhaust but he doesnt believe me

"That's impossible" he said....

sooooo Im confused now.

If I get a gianelli reverse it'll make my SLOP go away right?

I have a derestricted ECU / vario ring and 6.8grm rollers..

muchacho
08-26-2007, 09:38 PM
what is slop? I never heard the term before, do you already have a term for "sudden loss of power"?

I know you have the moisture trap but you are running a stock setup so first let me ask you some questions.

"Power Loss" associated with the moisture problem is a condition where you will be driving in any situation (uphill, downhill, flat) and you suddenly feel like the bike has no power. If you leave your throttle open, the bike will regain power when the RPM level is low enough.

Is this what you are describing? Did George take a look at the injector to see if it was free of emulsion?

A second condition that can arise is similar to power loss but only applies under the following condition. It does not matter if you have a stock or aftermarket pipe and having a moisture trap is optional (since it can happen if you do not have moisture problems). It only happens if you are going downhill at high RPM. The bike will lose power but if you do not release the throttle the power will come back right away.

Is this what you are feeling?

If this is what you felt, it could be due to a faulty sparkplug or it could be due to belt slippage. I am taking a wild guess, but I do not know if perhaps a dirty exhaust has something to with it.

MisterSprinkles
08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
The situation Im referring to happens at any RPM over 7500. Sometimes, at full power, the bike just completely loses all power. The RPMS drop very rapidly and there is absolutely no power until you release the throttle then re-apply it.

It feels the same as when you hit the kill switch on a bike and it just starts to slow down and all the power goes. I've felt the thing when you go over RPM redline thats not it this is different.

weve looked into the injector thing also..

You may be right it may be the first problem you are describing. It didnt start happening until 3000kms and it happens LESS if I keep my moisture trap super clean..

Will an aftermarket pipe fix this? I remember you telling me once at sevenview that you had a similar issue when you temporarily put your stock pipe on one of hte bikes

TiminIndy
08-26-2007, 10:24 PM
This has been described from time to time over the last several years. I have experienced it a couple of times, but never on a regular basis. I think I was running a Leo Vince S at the time I had it happen, but it went away.

muchacho
08-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I remember you telling me once at sevenview that you had a similar issue when you temporarily put your stock pipe on one of hte bikes

Yes, I told you at seven view. However, I meant that after I changed back to the stock pipe, I was experiencing the second issue I described in my last post. I said that the pipe was not able to handle WOT at high RPM but that the aftermarket (gianelli) pipe was better able to cope. Remember that I only experience this downhill at high RPM & WOT. I do not loose power for extended periods, I do not have to play with the throttle to make power come back and it does not happen randomly ( I know how to make it happen).

The condition you are experiencing is random and it does not go away unless you do the throttle trick or until the RPM is low enough. This sounds like the old powerloss because of moisture issue.

How often do you clean the pipe? Have you checked if the line from the compressor is clogged? You can open your airbox and spray carb cleaner - maybe it will clear it up.

MisterSprinkles
08-27-2007, 04:44 AM
I don't clean the exhaust pipe- but i tried with a new stock pipe and the issue was still there. I haven't checked the line for obstructions. I clean the moisture trap every 100kms at the most usually every 50 and quite a lot of stuff comes out. even with the agip oil.

also I notice sometimes my scooter runs stronger than others- like I'll run it tonight and it gets up to 50 before I hit the corner.

I run it tommorow and it gets up to 40, same conditions, and feels less powerful

and sometimes it sounds like its struggling like its running rough- the sound is rough that the engine makes not nice and smooth- and then sometimes its nice and smooth again.

I have a few ideas--

--problem with throttle body

--problem with compressor line (clog etc??)

--problem with fuel line and/or fuel pump

?

Thanks for helping me Mauritzio you always have helpful advice :)

SilverSurfer
08-27-2007, 05:21 AM
what is slop? I never heard the term before, do you already have a term for "sudden loss of power"?...

you've got it right there: SLOP=S.L.O.P.=Sudden Loss Of Power

an aftermarket pipe can improve but not necessarily eliminate S.L.O.P. I got a bigger improvement in SLOP reduction from my Boyesen reeds than anything else I've done so far.

Snugg
08-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I haven't had an issue with S.L.O.P. yet.
*crosses fingers
*knocks on wood
*helps old lady across street

**will probably experience S.L.O.P. on the way home dispite my prevention efforts**