PDA

View Full Version : Tnt 1130

Raindog
08-25-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm quite taken by this bike but can't find much info on it. Anyone know anything about it, test rides or opinions?

cwalker
08-25-2007, 06:47 PM
yup, we had them in the shop and sold 3... nice styling, chassis is not too bad, but the electrics are... well.... 'italian'... :rolleyes:

feels a bit like a triumph speed triple, but a bit more agressive on the throttle, also a bit more 'raw' though...

Raindog
08-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks buddy, I'm thinking this one would be a great stablemate for the T.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/raindog314159/R1/Benelli_TnT_Cafe_Racer.jpg

FALCOnry
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks buddy, I'm thinking this one would be a great stablemate for the T.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/raindog314159/R1/Benelli_TnT_Cafe_Racer.jpg

My local dealer www.nationalpowersports.net has one just like the picture in stock (I know you're way down in FL(?), but figured I'd provide you with their website anyway).
:cheers:

Quirky
08-28-2007, 11:57 AM
yup, we had them in the shop and sold 3... nice styling, chassis is not too bad, but the electrics are... well.... 'italian'... :rolleyes:
Yup, same here, plus one TreK. The electronics are quirky, and the main problems with the electric stuff are a battery a bit too small and one wire a bit too weak. Both problems are relatively easily fixed, though, and in most cases get fixed in first service, along with the ecu updates. Most of the problems linked to electrical equipment are related to those two issues. That is, in case there are any problems. In many cases there is nothing to worry about. The quirkiness of the electric system is another thing, like the way the engine starts and stops, and how you handle the display functions, and so on. You'll get used to all that.

feels a bit like a triumph speed triple, but a bit more agressive on the throttle, also a bit more 'raw' though...
I found the TnT more interesting than the S3, although both are nice naked roadsters. The ergonomics and riding comfort are slightly better (for my backside and limbs, anyway) in TnT, and the Brembo brakes are better.
It handles beautifully for such a bike. There riding position is pretty comfy, and roomy enough for riders up to 6'. The throttle response is nice, and it does charge forward like a horny stallion from traffic lights. The sound is nice when you open the throttle enough, but the idling and low rpm sound is duller, a bit like some i4 Kwak.
The engine sounds pretty noisy on idle, too, but that's normal. I think the sound is not quite as cool as the v2 rumble of a Ducati or an Aprilia, especially with aftermarket cans, but the higher rpm triple howl is pretty addictive, too. Which means your riding style may be a bit more 'aggressive' than you might have expected. It's the same with the S3, especially with aftermarket cans.

My ideal choice would be the Cafe Racer, too, mostly for the clipon handlebars and bar end mirrors, and also for the nice gold and maroon colour scheme.
The sound and the behaviour of the engine will get even better if/when you change the plumbing a bit and get rid of the cat. That may also help a bit with the 'funny spot' around 5,000 rpm, with the standard map. Nevertheless, it is not a dull or a quiet bike in stock mode, either. Especially so with the latest ecu update. Another usual mod include installing Tuneboy, which is available for both TnT and S3.
There are reviews and user comments to read in the web. There's the Benelli forum, and a couple of other reviews, like the one in OneWheelDrive.net (http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=676&Itemid=126).

bird
08-29-2007, 09:29 PM
That's like the new T. I like it except for the horrendous headlight fairing.

Infallible
08-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Benelli is currently owned by a Chinese investment group, the only real thing to watch out for since the buyout, is that owners now have to say they own a Benerri.

DZSV
11-15-2007, 11:48 PM
I tested the TNT Sport and Cafe Racer. Preferred the Sport in every category. Power was a bit raw, engine is raspy and didn't feel like 140hp, but still very nice.

I was amazed at the overall handling and stability in every condition. If that bike was only $11K, I would buy it.

I've heard US distribution is a bit rough, but parts availability is no worse that Ducati.

BTW, TonUp Motorcycles in Phoenix has the Cafe Racer, TNT, TNT Sport, Tre K, and Tornado in stock!

drekka
11-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi guys,
I've been the proud owner of a TnT Cafe Racer for the last six months after selling my trusty 02' Aprilia Falco (80,000 ks on the clock). I ride it every day. I thought I'd add some comments as no-one here seems to be an owner :)

Firstly I better mention that the Cafe Racer in the pictures above is a pre-production example, the production version look like this:
The noticeable changes being:

No gold pin strips around the rims.
Benelli bar end mirrors.
Slightly different front mudguard.
Underbelly fairings now painted to match the tank.
External radiators for better cooling.
Standard Brembo brakes instead of radials (only fitted to the sports).
Front forks are now gold with silver inner fork instead of bronze and black.
Standard Benelli pipe instead of the Termi.
Carbon fibre: wiring cover to tail lights, fuse box cover, front mudguard, rear fairing. Note that the sides of the duck tail are cast and painted satin black, not carbon as in the photo.

Others things of interest:

The defaults mappings are too rich so you will need to get the latest installed.
Yes parts can be a bit problematic, I've been waiting 3 months for a stepper valve. I eventually contacted the factory direct and they replied to my email within 3 days, apologised saying that they had a supply issue with that particular part and it was on the way to me.
Fuel range is not good because the tank is only 16L. Best I've heard of is 200kms from a full tank. But then again, it's only for racing from cafe to cafe :)
Extensive work has now been done with the guys behind Tuneboy (http://www.tuneboy.com.au/). You can now completely control every aspect of the bike in addition to the standard fueling stuff. For example you can control when the air box flaps open, when the exhaust valve opens, etc. It allows both maps to be written meaning you can have two completely custom configurations for your bike.
Also check out http://www.benelliforum.com/ which is where most Benelli owners hang out.
Prices down here in Australia are roughly base TnT $24,000AUD on road, Cafe Racer $25,000 on road and Sports $26,000 on road.
Yes you will be noticed *EVERYWHERE*. The Cafe Racer in particular is a real attention grabber. I camped at the Victorian State Motorcycle Complex last weekend for the Southern Classic historical race meeting. The CR was parked next to the tent and as my girlfriend put it - "If I had a dollar for everyone who stopped to take photos or ask questions ....".

When comparing to the Falco I'd have to say

The Falco's (with SL Carbons) sound better (than the Benelli with a stock pipe). However the engine howl when the exhaust opens is (as said previously) HIGHLY ADDICTIVE !
The Falco is a smoother ride.
The Benelli is better in the corners. That was a surprise, I really didn't expect it to handle so well.
The Falco is easier to add luggage to.
The Benelli's electrics are better. I ended up doing several mods to the Falco. So far the Benelli doesn't need any.
You have to keep the Benelli cleaner ! Because people are looking at it all the time.
There's no problem fitting a Scorpio alarm (http://www.scorpioalarms.com/products/motorcycle) including immobiliser to the Benelli. I didn't have one on the Falco, although the likelihood of getting a rare bike like the Benelli stolen is smaller than say, a GSXR.