PDA

View Full Version : resetting the service light

996tturbo
10-27-2003, 11:25 PM
i tried to reset the service light in the cluster by holding the cluster (+) n (-) for more than 15 sec but it doent work, can someone help

stinky
10-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Wish I could help, I gave up after trying it a million times.

mille-ryan
10-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Mine reset just fine, had to use the blunt end of a couple pins. Now I dread having to reset my clock for the dam time change.

Thunder Factory
10-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Had no problems doing mine just as the book said, but the contact area is small and you need to hold it firm for at least 15 secs.

Out of interest why did the dealer not reset it when the bke had it's service? :devil: :bangwall:

Italibikefreak
10-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
Had no problems doing mine just as the book said, but the contact area is small and you need to hold it firm for at least 15 secs.

Out of interest why did the dealer not reset it when the bke had it's service? :devil: :bangwall:

My Dealer didn't know how to use the computer so they couldn't reset the service light and I've tried numerous times myself by holding (+) and (-) buttons but no workie.:bond:

Thunder Factory
10-28-2003, 03:10 AM
Freak

Surely the dealer can't get out of this by saying they don't know how to use the computer?

Italibikefreak
10-28-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by Thunder Factory
Freak

Surely the dealer can't get out of this by saying they don't know how to use the computer?

They said that they were calling tech support and would give me a call when they knew what the problem was. So I'll give them a chance.:rambo:

Dvus
10-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Italibikefreak
They said that they were calling tech support and would give me a call when they knew what the problem was. So I'll give them a chance.:rambo: Sounds similar. I've heard the same excuse.

confucius
10-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Italibikefreak
My Dealer didn't know how to use the computer so they couldn't reset the service light and I've tried numerous times myself by holding (+) and (-) buttons but no workie.:bond:

who's your dealer?

NoNick
10-28-2003, 12:20 PM
I have the same problem. My dealer tried it at the first service-stop but they didn't succeed. Then we looked at it togheter but still no result. I took the bike home with the service light on. I tried it several times but still no succes.I did it carefully and listen so I was sure both + and - were pressed (you can hear them click). I can do all other settings easy (miles=>kilomter, clock, rev-limit and all resets). Maybe it's a software error?

Italibikefreak
10-28-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by confucius
who's your dealer?

It's Good Times Kawasaki in Sacramento.

confucius
10-28-2003, 02:41 PM
i'm taking my 04 in to scuderia on monday for its first service. i'll let everbody know if i experience the same results.

Thunder Factory
10-29-2003, 01:29 AM
When I collected the bike from the dealer after the first service the light had been reset, but it's interesting more than one person is having a problem.

Hope you get a resolution chaps! :rambo:

stinky
10-29-2003, 02:24 AM
It's not that big of a deal for me - it's easy to tune it out.

Now if only Tig could get their pipes for the 04 finished (or Akra, who seemingly can't produce something they finished designing over two months ago).

High Side
10-29-2003, 09:58 AM
I called Aprilia tech support myself and here is what was said:

You have to hold down the plus and minus keys down for a period of greate than fifteen seconds, or until it goes out, with the key on and the start/stop switch in the run position.

I did this and PRESTO! Service light goes out.

stinky
10-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Same procedure that's documented here and in the manual. From the manual:

To turn off the "SERVICE" warning, hold down the "+" and "-" buttons for at least 15 seconds upon turning the key to on.

I've tried this for 15, 20, 30, 45, and 60+ seconds after turning the key on. Nothing, except sore fingers and thumbs, a couple of clock resets, and frustration.

milleman
10-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Damnit! I have to try this now! Mine did false neutrel a lot between 4th & 5th untill I changed the oil to 15-50 mobile 1 :confused:

badmotorscooter
11-04-2003, 02:48 PM
I just got my Factory last weekend. While picking it up from the dealership, the owner, who was showing me "the ropes" of my new bike, and I were talking. I mentioned that this site had reported problems with re-setting the service indicator. He said he was happy that he wasn't the only one having problems.

I did notice, however, in setting the clock, KPH/MPH, and temp, that the time intervals to get stuff to start blinking or changing is considerably longer than what it states in the manual. Sounds like software issues.

Regards.

996tturbo
11-06-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by stinky
Same procedure that's documented here and in the manual. From the manual:

I've tried this for 15, 20, 30, 45, and 60+ seconds after turning the key on. Nothing, except sore fingers and thumbs, a couple of clock resets, and frustration. i have finally got it to turn off. 1st u turn the key to on then you push both bottons together .............there it is, it went off thank god:D :ban:

stinky
11-06-2003, 12:33 AM
Yep, that's the "upon turning the key to on" part. That's how I've tried to do it enough times that I realize having "SERVICE" on my screen doesn't bother me that much.

NoNick
11-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Must be a software problem in the display. Some guy had to replace the entire display because more then one function did not work. I only got the SERVICE problem. I hope someone (read Aprilia) will come up with an answer.

Italibikefreak
11-06-2003, 03:40 AM
My dealer called me today and said that they have the computer figured out and they can reset my service light now. :asshole:

confucius
11-06-2003, 12:00 PM
you don't need the computer to get rid of the service indicator. you just need to use something like two keys or some other blunt object then press and hold the + and - for 15 sec like the manual says. that's it really.

Italibikefreak
11-06-2003, 01:20 PM
you don't need the computer to get rid of the service indicator. you just need to use something like two keys or some other blunt object then press and hold the + and - for 15 sec like the manual says. that's it really.

Do you wait until the computer spools up then press the + and - keys or do you hold the + and - keys while the computer is still spooling up? This thing is pissing me off.:bond:

confucius
11-06-2003, 03:02 PM
i waited till the tach stopped moving and then press em.

where do you live? i'm in vallejo. we could meet up if ya want.

Italibikefreak
11-06-2003, 07:16 PM
i waited till the tach stopped moving and then press em.

where do you live? i'm in vallejo. we could meet up if ya want. I live in Yuba City its about 30 mins north of sacramento. I tried to use two pens to push the buttons but my clock starts to blink and that happends everytime it's really starting to piss me off. That's why I quit till today with the pens.:rambo:

Robin-Ketcham
11-06-2003, 08:17 PM
NoNick may be right. It might be in the display.

While my bike was in for the 600 mile serivce, after remaping, the elecrical parts of the display would not work. The shop tried the display on another bike and it worked. They put it back in mine and it worked. The next day, before I went to pick it up it stopped working again.

Aprilia support said the problem could be wiring or the CPU, but not the display. The shop checked every wire on the bike multiple times, they switched out the CPU, and nothing worked.

Finally I wrote to Aprilia USA and Italy and threaghtened to return the bike under lemon law. The next day they sent a new display fedex and it now works. It was only in for a month and a half, September third to mid Oct. From now on this shop disconnects all displays before doing electric work.

If you got the service done at an authorized shop, keep bringing it back. It's their problem.