PDA

View Full Version : Rear hugger

DonFanatico
08-07-2007, 06:12 PM
One thing , 3 questions.

Are there any rear huggers out on the market?

Can they be easily fitted ?

Is it worth doing so, i.e. cleaner bike etc?

cheerrs folks.

MilesB
08-08-2007, 03:17 AM
One thing , 3 questions.

Are there any rear huggers out on the market?

Can they be easily fitted ?

Is it worth doing so, i.e. cleaner bike etc?

cheers folks.
1) Seems not...
2) No idea.
3) Probably - but who knows.

I had a hugger on my last bike (Ducati Monster) and it was great - kept all of the crap off of the back of the engine and shock. Current options for the Pegaso seem to be a 'shock sock' - I saw one of these the other day, and intend to get one myself before the winter.

Miles

DonFanatico
08-08-2007, 04:52 AM
cheers, any links? MCN recommended wrapping stuff in clingfilm etc>:WTF:

MilesB
08-08-2007, 06:30 AM
cheers, any links? MCN recommended wrapping stuff in clingfilm etc>:WTF:
Don

Discussed here
http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119622
with links.

Miles

DonFanatico
08-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Ordered one for 9.99 now.

MilesB
08-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Ordered one for 9.99 now.
I haven't gotten 'round to it yet...:o

Post up a photo once you've got it installed please?

Miles

DonFanatico
08-08-2007, 07:44 AM
To do:

-GPS mount rack
-shocksock
-touring screen
-BMW GS650 handguards

will post pix as soon as I do this.

PetrolHead
08-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Don... Highly recommend the Aprilia handguards; worth the extra 's in my opinion.

Ordered the shockshield also

DonFanatico
08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Don... Highly recommend the Aprilia handguards; worth the extra 's in my opinion.

Ordered the shockshield also

:confused: already have the GS handguards at home...need to mount them and see..maybe maybe

Strada_photos
08-09-2007, 01:26 AM
I would have thought that the part(s) that really need the protection is the shock linkage - they are normally the high-wear parts.
I removed the standard small plastic shield and replaced it with a longer piece of curved black plastic to protect the spring/damper and the linkage - used the existing fixing holes.
My piece is between the tyre and the exhaust so protects that area as well - starting to look fairly corroded where the road grime builds up on the pipes.
No clearance problems either and now cleaning and access to the shock,etc, is much easier.
I did look for a proper rear hugger but then decided it wouldn't do the job properly.
Just another of my 'Blue Peter' mods (I love to tinker!)

MilesB
08-09-2007, 02:51 AM
I would have thought that the part(s) that really need the protection is the shock linkage - they are normally the high-wear parts.
I removed the standard small plastic shield and replaced it with a longer piece of curved black plastic to protect the spring/damper and the linkage - used the existing fixing holes.
My piece is between the tyre and the exhaust so protects that area as well - starting to look fairly corroded where the road grime builds up on the pipes.
No clearance problems either and now cleaning and access to the shock,etc, is much easier.
I did look for a proper rear hugger but then decided it wouldn't do the job properly.
Just another of my 'Blue Peter' mods (I love to tinker!)
Photos please?

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Guess what - I found a company that makes them !!!!!!! 10 days to make

E-mail from them.

pictures attached of the Pegaso hugger. Gloss black costs 79.95 inc vat, and carbon fibre costs 129.95 inc vat. Give us a call for more info, or to order, on 01305 780808.
Regards - Chris.
www.skidmarx.co.uk

MilesB
08-09-2007, 05:46 AM
Guess what - I found a company that makes them !!!!!!! 10 days to make

E-mail from them.

pictures attached of the Pegaso hugger. Gloss black costs 79.95 inc vat, and carbon fibre costs 129.95 inc vat. Give us a call for more info, or to order, on 01305 780808.
Regards - Chris.
www.skidmarx.co.uk
Bloody 'ell :eek: - loads of folk have been looking for ages :bangwall:

Well done that man :worship: :worship: :worship:

I know what's on my shopping list now!

Miles

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Chris from the company said that it's not a problem to spread the word for it.

They make them on a per order basis so it may take some time if demand suddenly rises.

:bump:

MilesB
08-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Chris from the company said that it's not a problem to spread the word for it.
They make them on a per order basis so it may take some time if demand suddenly rises.
I clicked on the link and followed the Menu to 'Other Huggers' - the Pegaso isn't on their list, so presumably it's new? I thought I'd checked them out before... anyway, the important bit is one is available...

Now, Black GRP or Carbon Fibre ? :rolleyes:

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 06:21 AM
THey don't exist on the site. I E-mailed them on the off chance and they replied that they are making them. I put an order in this morning.

The pix show the fibreglass (cheaper) option.

Call them to see if they can mail you pix of carbon fibre ones. (if they do post a picture please)

Might be the Falco one http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/huggers__european.htm

Pete M
08-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Order placed, Carbon Fibre, be here in approx 21 days

Should look very good with the rest of the Carbon bits on my Factory

Many Thanks for ther link and information DonFanatico

Peter

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Did Chris mention the sudden influx of orders for Pegaso Strada rear huggers?

:cheers:

Pete M
08-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Did Chris mention the sudden influx of orders for Pegaso Strada rear huggers?

:cheers:

No sudden rush as yet, he did ask me how I knew about the huggers and mentioned speaking to you

Said it looked like he would end up owing you a pint or two

Peter

athelstan
08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Just as a matter of interest will the Strada hugger also fit the Trail as I think the wheels and/or tyres may not be the same?

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Just as a matter of interest will the Strada hugger also fit the Trail as I think the wheels and/or tyres may not be the same?

no idea, call the man.

PetrolHead
08-09-2007, 08:18 AM
This is a potential missed opportunity of a group buy!? What price could he offer for 10No carbon fibres ones made in one batch???

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I will E-mail him now and find out.

MFAL_KL
08-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Ho ho ho Petrolhead ... a good entrepreneurial instinct! ordered in a batch! jolly good.

I wonder if they can ship it to Malaysia ... cross my finger.

Just an idea ... should we create one thread specifically to list our "imminent purchases" and where to get them.

If we keep updating them .. it will make life a bit easier when one decide to do a bit of shopping ... rather than searching the info within the growing threads ..

The list would include information on options and list of possible place to get them ... e.g.
Item -Option -Dealer
Hand Guard - F650 hand guard -xxxx xxxx xxxx
Hand Guard - Aprilia part no 99999 -ccc.com
Rear Hugger - Carbon Fibre -www.skidmarx.co.uk

Fadzil

DonFanatico
08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
go for it.

Strada_photos
08-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Photos please?
Not a great shot but gives an idea. It's actually 2 pieces but could be made from 1. I just knocked up something quicly to see if the principle worked.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/Strada_photos/P1010161.jpg

athelstan
08-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I've just started the same thing SP thanks to your idea. So far I have shaped a sheet of aluminium mesh along the lines you have shown. My intention is to coat it in fibreglass mat and resin then paint it. How it will finally turn out heaven knows.
I'm glad you watched Blue Peter as a nipper!

eame64
08-09-2007, 03:41 PM
well done Donfantico, I have been looking for ages.:cheers:

eame64
08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Great idea for multi order carbon fibre huggers , if they go for it count me in.

keithc
08-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Just seen this thread. I really need one of them huggers. All I need know is the cash :)

Keith

DonFanatico
08-10-2007, 05:24 AM
"""We don't normally do this kind of thing, but we reckon we could offer you 10% discount on an order for 10 or more carbon huggers. The only condition would be that we would only ship to one address, so someone would need to order these all in one go , and pay for them on one credit card.
Let me know what you think?
Chris."""

Let me know what you think guys and possibly get in touch with him yourself as you can count me out due to order being placed already.

Sounds difficult though with one credit card and address.

|cheers

MilesB
08-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Sounds difficult though with one credit card and address.
Don - Thanks for asking.

So that's 120 x 10 = 1200, less 10% is 1080.
Not a bill I want on my Credit Card (although someone might be up for it).
Then, of course, the lucky recipient will have to pack and post on 9 huggers (all in large cardboard boxes) - time, cost and effort.
I can see their point of view...

Me - I'm not particularly bothered about having Carbon Fibre - so will be going for Black GRP at 80 a shot.

Miles

PetrolHead
08-10-2007, 04:15 PM
Well done Don, but for 10% it aint really worth the hassle, worth the try though.

Sorely tempted by the carbon hugger... must try harder to resist temptation

eame64
08-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Yep looks like solo orders then,but thanks for trying don.

PetrolHead
08-13-2007, 02:36 PM
Contacted them about the Trail to see if they have sold one to a Trail owner... reply received aqs below (hopefully they dont mind me posting their email content but I'm sure they will be ok with it as it will save them answering the same question repeatedly)

Hi Steve - after seeing the info you've supplied, we're not at all sure that
this hugger will fit the Trail model. Originally , we didnt realise there
was this much difference in tyre sizes. I'll try and get a Trail here, and
let you know what happens. I'll be in touch mate. Chris.

Here's hoping

athelstan
08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for that PH I await news with interest.

DonFanatico
08-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Has anyone received their rear hugger yet?

I have put miner on today and it looks pretty cool. No rain as yet but I can imagine that it will pay for itself by saving a lot of effort when cleaning the bike and help preserve the underside from chipping etc.

Will post pix tomorrow.

keithc
09-25-2007, 04:34 AM
Orderd my hugger yesterday. I will let you all know how easy they are to fit (or not if it is difficult).

Keith

keithc
09-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Duplicate posting

Keith

spanners
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
orderd a hugger ,they said they will not bill me till it is made ,10/14 days,it has been a bit longer than that,but i will give it a bit longer till i chase it up.

keithc
10-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Fitted mine, quite easy to do and took me about 1 hour to get it lined up to my satisfaction

Keith

driver4
03-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Any idea if it is suitable to an Aprilia Pegaso Factory 2007?

keithc
03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Cant see why not, same tyre size a the normal Strada and as far as I am aware all of the bits that matter are the same.

Keith

DonFanatico
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Any idea if it is suitable to an Aprilia Pegaso Factory 2007?
Should fit but give Skidmarkz a call and they will tell you for sure.

call for more info, or to order, on 01305 780808 .
Regards - Chris.
www.skidmarx.co.uk

Cupid Stunt
03-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Someone should have asked me
I've got a Skidmarx trade account ya know

:burnout:

Xeno
03-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Someone should have asked me
I've got a Skidmarx trade account ya know

:burnout:

Does that mean you can sell them cheaper than Skidmarx Cupid?

keith plumridge
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Carbon Hugger For My Factory, I'm In If We Can Get A Deal.

Massimo1
03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I called to order and it seems it's really expensive to ship to greece as they have a contract with a private courier, who charges them by the volume of the box. Could I get someone here who is in the UK to receive the item for me and reship it to Athens via royal mail or parcelforce? I can pay you for repacking & reshipping via paypal or bank transfer.

Xeno
03-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I called to order and it seems it's really expensive to ship to greece as they have a contract with a private courier, who charges them by the volume of the box. Could I get someone here who is in the UK to receive the item for me and reship it to Athens via royal mail or parcelforce? I can pay you for repacking & reshipping via paypal or bank transfer.

Hi Massimo,

Im going to be in Athens for easter and could bring it for you if it helps. I will be there on the 24th April, if you can pick it up from Stathmos Larissis area.
If you can get Skidmarx to send it to me before then its not a problem.

factoryrider
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Very impressed with Skidmarx,ordered the carbon fibre hugger for my 08Factory on Thursday 20th via Chris and got home tonight and found a big box on my doorstep-that includes the Easter Bank Holiday closure!Guess what I'll be doing this weekend-weather looks bad anyway.:worship:

Massimo1
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Hi Massimo,

Im going to be in Athens for easter and could bring it for you if it helps. I will be there on the 24th April, if you can pick it up from Stathmos Larissis area.
If you can get Skidmarx to send it to me before then its not a problem.

i would rather do by mail, mainly because i may be away on business around then. Larissa station is only 10 min ride from home.