PDA

View Full Version : Its all gone quiet...

PetrolHead
07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Used ear plugs for the first time the other day when I went on a long-ish journey.... wow, what a strange experience. Was really weird being that quiet on a bike, what are your views on this? do you use em?

joe bar
07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Definitely. Find it very difficult to ride without them. I can manage it off road as speeds are lower, but on the road ear plugs are a must have for me.

keithc
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I use ear plugs on any unfaired bike now. To late really as I suffer a bit from Tinitus in my left ear. Not pleasent and put down to loud music and many years on a bike with noisey crash halmets.

Keith

MilesB
07-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Depends on which lid I'm wearing - I have a Schuberth C2 (flip front) which is rediculously quiet on an unfaired bike (like the Peg at the mo). I'm going to get the screen at some point, and I suspect that will make the bike noisier due to the extra turbulence.

Strada_photos
07-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I suffer from bad tinitus in both ears. Doctor said I do 2 of the worst things for it - play drums (in 2 bands) and ride a bike!!! Anyway, decided to get some custom plugs made at the Bike Show last year (65) and they are fantastic. I bought an Arai Tour-X lid at Xmas and it's much noisier than a normal sports lid so raelly need the plugs. They are brilliant on the 'plane as well - cut out all the screaming kids!!! Very good investment.

Xeno
07-27-2007, 05:36 PM
I started wearing them about 12 months ago and unless I'm riding in town I always wear them now. I bought a Roof helmet which is suposed to be one of the quietest but its still terrible at motorway speeds without the ear plugs.
I read somewhere that riding for half an hour at 40mph is equivelent to the amount of noise you encounter in a normal day. Therefore if you ride on the motorway for any length of time its only a matter of time before your hearing suffers.

PetrolHead
07-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Cheers all... some top tips there, very helpful as always.