PDA

View Full Version : 1st Annual Peg-Out

AberdeenAngus
07-20-2007, 04:05 AM
There's been some banter around the forum about a get together !
Right then, let's do it !

How about weekend 8th/9th September. Venue:- to be decided.

I suggest this weekend coz the schools are back and the caravans should be off the roads !

My vote is for Skye, but I realise that will be a haul from Englishland !
Or, how about Northumberland area - that would be half way for everyone !

Your votes please........

g-man
07-20-2007, 05:25 AM
I'm up in Scotland anyway, but i dont get many weekends off work. I could meet up with some guys for a half day or something depending on how my shifts are. The bold Panda is a Scot too and has been supposed to come up for about 6 months now. :D .

MilesB
07-20-2007, 05:57 AM
There's been some banter around the forum about a get together !
Right then, let's do it !

How about weekend 8th/9th September. Venue:- to be decided.

My vote is for Skye, but I realise that will be a haul from Englishland !
Or, how about Northumberland area - that would be half way for everyone !

Your votes please........
Great idea.

Weekend probably OK, but for those of us down in the Deep South, the Isle of Skye (which I'd love to do) is too far for a weekend - going that far north I'd need a week to make it worthwhile, as I could push on up the West coast to Ross & Sutherland, which I'd love to do!

Northumberland is about 300 miles for me (just over half the distance to Skye!), which I suspect is the limit of what my buttocks will take in a day :whiner: , so could be do-able.

Miles

Panda
07-20-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm only going if there's a bar.

Clotted Cream
07-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Its kin miles from Plymouth! can't we get a bit more central?

Kev

Panda
07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
The Peak District is central and very nice - some good roads for Pegaso's too. If everyone is moaning about how far it is, does that mean people are up for it?

AberdeenAngus
07-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Its kin miles from Plymouth! can't we get a bit more central?

Kev

Northumberland IS central !!! some of us live within spittin distance of the Arctic circle.

PetrolHead
07-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Sounds a great idea, most places will be easier for me as I'm already central... just can't do that weekend unfortunately, or the weekend after that as a stag doo beckons.

AberdeenAngus
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Actually, split the difference.....how about the North Yorkshire Moors. Some v. nice riding around the North Yorks.

Damn good pub at Blakey Ridge...and they allow camping in the field next door !

We could take a run to Whitby & Scarborough !!

:cheers:

Panda
07-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds a great idea, most places will be easier for me as I'm already central... just can't do that weekend unfortunately, or the weekend after that as a stag doo beckons.
Thats some stag doo! Two weekends!

North York Moors isn't far from me, I could go after work on Saturday....I don't know Blakey Ridge though, where's that?

keithc
07-20-2007, 03:06 PM
If your thinking of meeting on Yorkshire, why not think about Squires? Nice bar, good food and they have a camp site to.
Details here
http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

Keith

Panda
07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Squire's is worth a visit, but the whole area tends to be crawling with the boys in blue and it's wall-to-wall smart arses with Ginsters and R1's - plenty of them are quick, but there's enough who aren't to make going there on a 40bhp dirt bike fun! We go there once in a while, but plenty of people round here seem to own a bike for the sole purpose of riding there, talking bollocks for a while, then riding back.

The other big meeting place is Helmsley ( opposite side of York ) where they have one of the big Rallies ( the Farmyard I think ), but the best road out of there up to Stokesley is another waste of time at the weekends; last time we went up on a nice weekday night we got stopped within a mile of Helmsley. The cop was sound though, let me and a mate (on an R1) off and warned us that the next few speed traps that were on that night might not be so lenient. So we just turned around...

That said, there are loads of good roads around the N Yorks area. Just not as many as in Scotland!

PetrolHead
07-20-2007, 04:28 PM
:burnout: Gramatical error on my part, two seperate weekends... otherwise that would be a very very very expensive experience on such a long stag doo:cheers:

Yorkshire good for me... long way from the south though. Appreciate its a good way from scotland also!

Panda
07-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Why don't we make it in France or something? Think about it, makes it a proper holiday, "Grump" has nae excuse, it's his continent, cheap booze makes up for the dough on the ferry... spend your Tesco Points on a cheapo ferry deal, maybe all the north folk can have a stop in York on the way down? Hull's just up the road!

To be fair, I have drunk three bottles of wine, this might not be as good an idea as I thought. No french people post on here though.

PetrolHead
07-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Well in Panda! :worship:

AberdeenAngus
07-21-2007, 12:37 AM
......North York Moors isn't far from me, I could go after work on Saturday....I don't know Blakey Ridge though, where's that?

Kirbymoorside........ http://www.lionblakey.co.uk/

France is way too far for a weekend.
I don't think we can manage a UK meet-up.

What aboot a North meet & a South meet. Then see about a UK Monster-Peg later if there are enough of us ?

I still vote for Skye !

Panda
07-21-2007, 04:52 AM
That looks great, but Skye sounds better...

Clotted Cream
07-21-2007, 05:39 AM
I think the North/South separate meets are a good idea and then a get together at a later time. What do we think?

Kev

navychief
07-22-2007, 10:53 AM
I was in the area, so I thought i'd give it a go.

The Lion Inn - Fantastic roads, fantastic pub, fantastic views! (Watch out for those sheep though, I think it's their road!)

PetrolHead
07-22-2007, 12:48 PM
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/thumbup2.gif

Have an idea... what about meeting up and attending an off-road school or something? can't remember who recommended it on here, but I've been looking at a day out at http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/ What do you think?

joe bar
07-22-2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/thumbup2.gif

Have an idea... what about meeting up and attending an off-road school or something? can't remember who recommended it on here, but I've been looking at a day out at http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/ What do you think?

OTT is based up in the Peak District and is run by a nice guy called Boyd Emmerich. He has DRZ 400's which he uses for his days out, some great lanes up and around the Peaks, though recent legislation has robbed us of some good ones.

If you were interested I'm sure Boyd would provide you with a great day out.

Clotted Cream
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry Guys - count me out. I'm off to Spain Wed 5th Sept for 14 nights, hopefully to do some of this:

http://www.andaluciantrailtours.com/index.html

g-man
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
I start work at 1500 on the sat and 1200 on the sunday, so i could maybe meet up with some guys on the sat morning for a run up.

If anyone is heading up from down south and this peg out happens in Scotland, then you have to do the Dukes pass on the way up. It is the road for the Strada. Absolute perfection, all 30-80 mph twists and turns.

PetrolHead
07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm off to Spain Wed 5th Sept for 14 nights, hopefully to do some of this...

Am very jealous :worship:

joe bar
07-24-2007, 03:26 PM
If anyone is heading up from down south and this peg out happens in Scotland, then you have to do the Dukes pass on the way up. It is the road for the Strada. Absolute perfection, all 30-80 mph twists and turns.

I'm coming up to Scotland at the end of September with a bunch of mates - where exactly is Dukes Pass ??

Cheers.

g-man
07-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I'll Pm you directions

joe bar
07-24-2007, 04:47 PM
I'll Pm you directions

Thanks g-man :burnout:

g-man
07-31-2007, 07:36 AM
What happening with this?? Is anyone going??

Panda, when are you coming up to get a shot on this Pimpin Peg of mine and let me see the difference with yours now the PC's been fitted??

MilesB
07-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Going where? - I don't think any firm decisions had been made yet.

I'm off to Tuscany the following week (2up on a TDM) so will struggle to get the weekend before off.

Miles

g-man
07-31-2007, 08:08 AM
Going where? - I don't think any firm decisions had been made yet.

Miles

Exactly. Just checking to see if anything was arranged. Couldn't quite make out in the thread if something or somewhere was organised or not?

MilesB
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Exactly. Just checking to see if anything was arranged. Couldn't quite make out in the thread if something or somewhere was organised or not?
For what it's worth, my experience of these things is that we need to thrash out some ideas now, to get a meet up sorted for NEXT year!

But it would be good to give it a go though.

I must admit I like the idea of the Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge - primarily because it's a good music venue too... if we can get a date when Mostly Autumn are playing I'd get there!
http://www.blakeymusic.com/mostlyautumn.htm

Miles

Panda
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Panda, when are you coming up to get a shot on this Pimpin Peg of mine and let me see the difference with yours now the PC's been fitted??
I've just realised I haven't ridden up to Scotland at all this year...
Spent a couple of hours up in the dales today, the PC was well worth the money, espescially if you do the "accelorator pump" update.

PetrolHead
07-31-2007, 03:40 PM
...the PC was well worth the money, espescially if you do the "accelorator pump" update.

:WTF: .

Panda
07-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Once you've installed the software on your PC, you can download this extra update where you can set the throttle opening ( I've set it at 85% ) and the extra amount of fuel added (I've set 10%) and the number of revolutions over which to add the fuel (I've set 10).

I'm going to try mucking about with it more once the bike has been on a dyno though.

AberdeenAngus
08-01-2007, 06:08 AM
MilesB - Blakey sounds good for me - but if you check out the Mostly Autumn website they are now supporting Bryan Adams at Murrayfield Stadium. I think they might have outgrown Blakey ! I would like to see them though !
Looks as though Blakey Music have stopped organising ! I think they got their fingers burnt at the last festival !!

Panda - I'm going to be going over to Skye for a couple of days soon for a spot of camping and maybe a pint of Shandy. Would welcome some company !

MilesB
08-01-2007, 06:33 AM
MilesB - Blakey sounds good for me - but if you check out the Mostly Autumn website they are now supporting Bryan Adams at Murrayfield Stadium. I think they might have outgrown Blakey ! I would like to see them though !
Looks as though Blakey Music have stopped organising ! I think they got their fingers burnt at the last festival !
Blakey Ridge is about as Central as we are going to get, considering yourself in Aberdeen, and Clotted Cream down in Plymouth - it's going to be 300+ miles for both of you (and about 250+ for me in Kent).
The venue looks great - characterful, with capacity for both B&B and camping (for the more adventurous/financially challenged).

I was kidding about only going if 'Mostly Autumn' were playing - although I think you'll be suprised and they will play there again - it's their favourite venue, and local to their 'home base' in York. I try and go and see them whenever they play 'dahn sauf', and have never been dissappointed. Of course if they were playing, we'd never get in!

I've not been to the North York Moors for more years than I care to admit, but if I remember correctly, the roads should be fab for Pegging-out.

Maybe we need to get expressions of interest for next year - maybe Whitsun Bank Holiday W/E (end of May). The weather is usually OK by then (Yeah I know it wasn't this year...) and it's enough time to get something organised that quite a few of us can attend.

Any takers?

Miles

AberdeenAngus
08-01-2007, 07:41 AM
MilesB - don't forget holiday weekends are different in Scotland and Aberdeen are different again - go figure :WTF:

I think it might have to be separate Norf and Sarf meetings.

MilesB
08-01-2007, 09:28 AM
MilesB - don't forget holiday weekends are different in Scotland and Aberdeen are different again - go figure :WTF:

I think it might have to be separate Norf and Sarf meetings.
I know that Scotland gets some different BHs - my UK head office is in Glasgow...

However, the BH at the end of May is called 'Spring Bank Holiday' - and the Scots get it too!
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/life/employment_scotland/bank_and_public_holidays.htm

Plus I note that you get one more BH than the English and Welsh.
If Aberdeen gets different days again... :whiner:

AberdeenAngus
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm def up fer it !
Gonna be a student for the next year so expect i'll have tons o' time off :) :) :)

matjazz
10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
It's look like nice idea for next year for me... I was studing in Dundee at 2006, but now I am back to the other site of the EU, still like to come with me Peg to drive around with something else as Mega bus or train :)

spanners
10-22-2007, 03:18 AM
there will always be a prob trying to get assorted owners to hook up,perhaps if you take the two that are the farest apart and then find somewhere in the middle,