PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts and air filters

Strada_Stu
07-16-2007, 11:48 AM
After much Umming and Arrring I have jumped in and ordered some Arrow cans for my Strada. My questions is, to all you existing Pegaso and after market exhaust owners on here, have you fitted an after market air filter, and does it make a big difference?
The only ones I have seen for the Peg so far are the K&N and DNA, does anybody know of any others? and where is the best place to buy any of the above?
I have already removed the resonator box which does make a difference even on the standard exhaust pipes, but as of yet I have not cut down the intake duct. Does this make a difference?

I think I will be following in the footsteps of the 'Pimp my Peg grand master', G-man and leaving the baffells in but modifying them to be a bit more free flowing.

Ps G-man, much respect to the mods you are doing and all the pictures.:worship:

Panda
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
If you've spent all that on a set of cans, 40 on a K+N should be no bother!

Having mucked about with the intake snorkel, it would appear that cutting most of the back (the side furthest from the filter) away gives the best results - taking the snorkel out altogether seems to disrupt the airflow. I ran my bike on a CO meter after doing both mods, the CO had to be adjusted both times so there is clearly a difference in the amount of air going into the engine.

"Bebop"'s dyno graph (the only other Peg owner with a PC3 who posts on here) is quite jagged low down, the fact he's completely removed the intake snorkel seems to be to blame. He thinks the bike ran better with just lumps cut out of the snorkel rather than complete removal.

I'll let you know what mines is like once its been on the dyno- hopefully within the next couple of weeks time permitting.

g-man
07-17-2007, 04:42 AM
Glad you like the bike. It's not going to be to everyones taste, but i'm liking it. The seat has really made a difference.

The Arrows with the baffles in sound pretty naff. When you fit them, start it with the baffles out just to give that big smile. It sounds awesome, but just way to loud. When the baffles are in it takes away the deep boomy burble and it sounds like someone is holding a plastic bag over the end. Sounds quite "cracky".

When you take them out there are only 3 holes drilled right through each them. I cant believe that Arrow sell the pipes then restrict them as bad as this.

I cut the end off the pipes so you can see straight through them, then have drilled another 3 holes right through each of them. I feels betten off the throttle now and gives good cracks and bangs on light throttle/overrun. But it still sounded a bit cack on idle, so i drilled 4 holes right in the very end of them (so you see them if you look into the end of the can). It's brought back some of the deeper note and sounds brilliant.

Let us know how you get on.

Strada_Stu
07-17-2007, 06:58 AM
If you've spent all that on a set of cans, 40 on a K+N should be no bother!

The main point of my question was Do after market airfilters like K+N make a big difference? I wasn't being a tight wad!
Although to be honest I can't really afford the pipes never mind the filter..... I just need that proper thumper single noise from the exhausts, especially on the over run. pop pop pop BANG ! ace:happy:

G-man have you done any mods to your airbox snorkel duct ?

g-man
07-17-2007, 07:04 AM
I did have it removed, but i put it back in. Mine is cut so has about 2/3rd removed. I think there's a pic of it on the airbox thread.