PDA

View Full Version : Are all drive belts the same ??

Rainham
07-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I've been told that i should be using a different drivebelt. I can't remember the name of it but i know its a lot of money. I've looked at a few different belts and they all look exactly the same to me, so would like to know what the difference is between a normal factory fitted belt and one of these "high performance" ones. Is it just the much higher price or am i really missing out on something here ??

jusdan
07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I've been told that i should be using a different drivebelt. I can't remember the name of it but i know its a lot of money. I've looked at a few different belts and they all look exactly the same to me, so would like to know what the difference is between a normal factory fitted belt and one of these "high performance" ones. Is it just the much higher price or am i really missing out on something here ??

The belt you are most probally talking about may be called the 'Kavlar' belt?

Well to answer your question, No, not all belts are the same.

The Kavlar best as you say costs alot of money is about 22.50 to 30.00

This belt is specially designed to grip more and wear less in all conditions.

I don't own a Kavlar belt myself but I have been thinking about it alot, although your right it is alot of money for just a belt.

muchacho
07-15-2007, 06:58 PM
When you say it wears less, how much longer are we talking about?

Assume you have stock SR50 - how much longer will the kevlar belt last compared to stock.

Ciudale
07-16-2007, 12:07 AM
The caviar belt, Jusdan, the caviar belt...

THE MAX
07-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Both 'kevlar' and 'special' belt are some wider then stock

-In theorie you would gain some topspeed with it

Good acell most of time ..........

-But some users loss accel because the wide belt don't come down all the way in the variatior

Littel 'mod' (extra shim) at the variator requiered

.::sTocKSr5O::.
07-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Littel 'mod' (extra shim) at the variator requieredHey Max.... I have the Malossi Special belt fitted. Where abouts would I need to place the Shim if I wanted to experiment? :)

THE MAX
07-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Hey Max.... I have the Malossi Special belt fitted. Where abouts would I need to place the Shim if I wanted to experiment? :)The trick is to bring the outer-half pouly (part 4) more out ( 1-3 mm)

-You could choose in position 1 or 2

Position 1 is more easy to test,but for best lifetime of belt and pouly ,the shim should be the same as outer diameter of part A

Personal I use 2 mm shim , in postion 2 ,on a multivar with kevlar belt.....but its just trail & error

THE MAX
07-16-2007, 06:26 AM
Above I used pic deliverd with 'POWER ONE VARIATOR' . This kit comes INCL shims to play with (0,5mm-1,0mm-2,0mm) ,3 sets of rollers ,7,5gr-8,5gr-9,5gr (a bit heavy ,I think) ,is still cheaper then Multivar and so far only postive results are posted :plus:

Pic by KWEEZEL

http://home.planet.nl/~vand5877/SF/Testcase%20Power1;%201.jpg

.::sTocKSr5O::.
07-16-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks - Very good! I'll have a bit of a fiddle with it after I find some shims. A couple of washers should do the trick from the hardware store. I'll keep in touch :)

p700
07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
I tried to save some money and got the doppler kevlar one they sell at AF1 racing and in two weeks it was shredded in my tranny. So then I went ahead and spent the money on the malossi one which I should have bought in the first place and it is great

Ciudale
07-25-2007, 03:56 PM
The Polini kevlar is also good -wider/longer than the Malossi's. But its now quite hard to find.

SilverSurfer
07-26-2007, 02:43 AM
I have found US sources for the Polini kevlar belt 248.043 (Morini SR Ditech and Scarabeo) [and assuming they have what they list in-stock...] , if anyone wants to know...

Would anyone happen to know what's the best choice between the TopPerformances and Polini belts? I'd like to not flip my belt anymore already.... :rolleyes:

Dragster pilota
07-26-2007, 03:44 AM
rainham in da house:
what the difference is between a normal factory fitted belt and one of these "high performance" ones

Our experince is that the stock Aprilia belt will last somewhere around 8000km before it's worn enough to loose some 15kph top speed (time to change), we fitted Ariette belts for a while since they were cheaper than stock but they would ware out at 5-6000km so it pays to fit Aprilia stock belts. We have also been using Malossi Special Belt and that works real good, our Starol AXO DiTech has done almost 10.000km on a Special Belt and it still looks fine. Kevlar belts is really IMHO nothing for a stock or Sport Kitted scoot, they are to stiff and will loose top speed and most of all the hazzle of breaking in a Kevlar belt that has to be done or it will shredd to pieces in 200km, so stay either with Aprilia stock belts or Malossi Special Belt if you ask me.....

DP says: Keep it simple...

Ciudale
07-26-2007, 03:44 AM
Would anyone happen to know what's the best choice between the TopPerformances and Polini belts? I'd like to not flip my belt anymore already.... :rolleyes:

I don't know how the TopPerf is but the Polini is really well made. But for you I would choose the Malossi's, which are a bit shorter, try the Special Belt if you have to replace the original one.

Evans-2006
07-28-2007, 05:27 AM
deary me, think about it, a 99 k scooter is moving maybe over 12 stone, with a v-belt which is definetly not metal.

if yur scooter was really fast and u made it got maybe 60mph thats alot of power for a tiny belt which moves your back wheel, the belt that came with the scooter might snap after miles n miles the kevlar belt is made of materiasls much stronger (like i know what), when i first got my scooter i got the malossi multivar and kevlar belt and iv done 17000+ kms on just those, i havent done anything else and shes goin strong today. get the kevlar it wont snap as easy (its possible) and it wont stretch or slip as easy... well worth 30 for 17000kms if u ask me :) dont be tight ha ha

ps if u take the scooter for a service by aprilia, dont let them pput 10.5g rollers back in ul regret it! Im so slow off the line but i dont have a impact wrech for FUCKS SAKE lol