PDA

View Full Version : Why does my bike need to warm for so long?

mySR50
07-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey, I just got a used SR50 like 2 weeks ago (1253KM) - NOW(2009KM). I live in Vancouver BC, but the bike is from southern Ontario. The owner before me put 7gram rollers and a mollosi pipe on it. It was running great. I was also told the guy was using marine oil for the 2 stroke, which was fine with me i heard about how and why water was getting in. Anyhow, my mechanic (who I work with) put in normal two stroke and I start filling the gas tank with performance plus gas 94 octane.

:WTF:
So my major problem that started a few days after owning the bike was that in the morning or when its been sitting for a long time the heat gauge takes several minutes to show any temperature and the bike chokes out like crazy, but once the temp gauge gets past the "C" (cold) mark it runs fine.

Is this normal or is there something really wrong with my bike.

I would greatly appreciate if answers to this problem.

:cheers: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :cheers:

biketoczzr
07-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Heat is a waist of energy . the engine is very efficent desine so it dose not generate much heat. Plus you live in Vancover.The daytime summer temp must reach 4or 5 deg. if it is not snowing:kidding:

HONDARACER
07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
What year is the bike?

SilverSurfer
07-14-2007, 11:04 PM
My warm up time used to be forever and ever and it ran rough, but that changed after I changed the reeds from stock.

StockMan
07-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi there,

My 2002 DiTech also had a problem getting warmed up.

I ride some 10km to work, and the gauge doesn’t move at all on the first 4km.
These 4km is done with 55-70 kmh, and then I hit the rush hour traffic, lowering the average speed to 30-45 kmh.
At this time the temp. starts to rise a little, and the engine reaches “normal” temperature (68-74 Celsius depending on the outside temp).

If I haven’t covered about 30% of the bikes water cooler with a piece of cardboard, I wouldn’t see any movement on the gauge!!
This covering is doubled during the winter (average outside temp. about 1-5 Celsius).

The average outside temp. during summer is 10-15 (morning) and 22-27 (afternoon).

THE MAX
07-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Go back to the firts fuel & oil chooise and see whats happen

mtiberio
07-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I live in a suburb of washington dc. it's hot. on my 2002 morini the gauge barely ever gets above the pin. I put one strip of duct tape across the radiator. it still barely comes up above the pin. if I ride the crap out of it (WFO for 5 miles) and then hit stop and go traffic, maybe the gauge reached 1/3. this winter, it will get two or three pieces of duct tape.